News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Extra gas tank...

Started by John Eversoll, July 02, 2009, 10:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Eversoll

Horst or Army You guys out there????

I was wondering since you seem to have the right answer

" is there a gas tank that I could use along with the one that I do have and use it as a back up when I get low.  5 gal or even a 10 gal.

and where would I put it?????
John E.

Horst

the only place I have ever seen them (on rear kitchen models by the way) was behind the stock gas tank just in front of the grey water tank. Another option is to ditch your 36 or 50 gal tank and put in a 60 or 70 gal tank - seen those too (but not on a Clipper)
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

Ya know, I don't even think I have a 36 gal tank!!!

It is a small black plastic tank.  and the last time I took the tank out to replace the sending unit I had drained only21 gals. and that was a full tank.
The tank isn't that big. But I noticed that there is room for a large tank.
Maybe the guy I bought it from changed the tank.  I just don't know...
I have enough irons in the fire right now to worrie about the tank.
But I do thank you for the info!!!!!!!!

John E

Khyron

Interesting....mine has 2 tanks, would you like me to get under her and take some pictures for you?

John Eversoll

Naaaa, I beleive ya!!!!
I will infact have another slice of choclate cake though
Thanks!!!! John E

Khyron

LOL, I offered so you could see how they are setup ;) not that I didn't think you believed me hehehe  ;)

John Eversoll

I just didn't want you to get on you back and have to take a pic for me.

I do thank you though!!!! :) John

2Travelers

We are brand new owners and would love those pictures if you would take them.  I would even pass up chocalate cake.   :o  Thanks so much to all of you on this Forum, I think it is going to save our lives.  Cynthia

JerryT

2 Travelers
I think you should have the 50 gallon one in your 78, we have the 50 and the only thing I don't like about it is paying to fill it :'(
JerryT

John Eversoll

Hi there Jerry,

Do you have problems putting gas in the tank " with the exception of paying for it"
With mine it  literally takes me a half hour to fill and I have the small tank.

It wont let me just fill it constantly clicks off.. Which really peeeeeeeeeees
me off.  It is like the bend in the neck of the filler pipe is wrong.
and just keeps shuting off the flow..  I just don't know what to do about it.
Got any ideas???? John :o

dboling

Quote from: John Eversoll on September 15, 2009, 09:31:54 PM

Do you have problems putting gas in the tank " with the exception of paying for it"
With mine it  literally takes me a half hour to fill and I have the small tank.

It wont let me just fill it constantly clicks off.. Which really peeeeeeeeeees
me off.  It is like the bend in the neck of the filler pipe is wrong.
and just keeps shuting off the flow..  I just don't know what to do about it.
Got any ideas????

Maybe add a vent line ?
Check the filler hose for kinks.

I've been under mine and had to re hook up the fuel filler hoses, my front tank has a piece of metal pipe in the middle of the filler hose that looked like it was added to remove a kink. I haven't been to the fueling station yet so I don't know how hard mine will be to fill.

I also have a rear tank and it's filler hose is while plastic plumbing pipe, not sure how safe that is or if it's they way Clipper made it at the factory.

I'm very nervous about filling it up :( , might be cheaper to have it tow to it'd destination :)

dboling

Quote from: 2Travelers on September 15, 2009, 05:28:26 AM
We are brand new owners and would love those pictures if you would take them.  I would even pass up chocalate cake.   :o  Thanks so much to all of you on this Forum, I think it is going to save our lives.  Cynthia

I was taking some pics of the outside of my Clipper to post online, I tried to take pictures of my dual tanks for you, but there just isn't enough room to get a picture. One of my pics does show the fuel tank filler location.

John Eversoll

Hi there dboling, Yea, I have the single tank and it is a small one!!!!!!

I swear it is a twenty gal Black plastic square piece of crap...
Jerry,
What ever happened to the metal tanks ??????

Looks as if there was a larger tank in it's place at one time  but
as I say It must be twenty gals now.
I am going to need a bigger tank after the new motor is  in...with the 11 to 1 compression
and the cam that was installed this thing is going to fly.  Plus now I really am going to have to do something about the heat coming from the exhaust manifolds.
And I hear that there is a better brake shoe out there.... I hate coming down hills  at least the front pads are new!!!
Later gater,  JohnE. :)

JerryT

Mine takes gas NO problem, I can watch it swirl counter clockwise as it goes down, kinda makes a gurgling sound, then comes a small burp, and then I swear I can hear it say AH! :D
JerryT

dboling

Thought I'd give it another shot taking pics of my gas tanks for you.
This is the best I could get, but it should give you a good idea as to how there setup.
Picts are taken from the right rear.