News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Over heating

Started by John Eversoll, June 08, 2009, 05:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Eversoll

Here we go-----
I have the 440 in my 77 dodge. Mortor runs great!! no problem there
When sitting in traffic I boil over and have stalled in some very
bad areas.  I have a new water pump and new 4 row radiator
clutch fan is new.  What do you think of running an Electric fan??
Or a ten pund bag of icein front of the radiator"HA HA"

Hank Jourdin

John,  do you have a fan shroud around the radiator? I would check radiator cap , make sure it's working 16 lb cap. I would make sure to run 70 % antifreeze and I would add some stuff called wetter water to your radiator mix of antifreeze 70% and distilled water .It's just a small bottle of red juice but it raises the boiling point. I would also make sure to have a good overflow bottle as large a capacity as possible even through the cooling system holds 3-1/2 gallons. lastly  check your new radiator for the fin count. even if your have a 4 core radiator if the fin count is not high enough it will not cool  sitting still in a  jam, should be 14 fins or more per inch. you can find wetter water at speed shop for performance cars. one last thing make sure you put the fan on facing the right direction, most are marked engine this side, or this side toward motor. make sure the fan is close enough to the radiator and is drawing air not pushing . I have seen guys by mistake put on a reverse fan and then not be able to figure out way it will not cool. after all that you should be good for at least 290-295 without boiling or stalling.  so check it out hope it was some help best of luck cause I know how it feels  Hank Jourdin

John Eversoll

Hey, Thanks Hank!!!! I will give it a try!!  I do have water wetter in my Chevelle SS

and will get a bottle for the rig.

Thanks, John