News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Interesting Craigslist pics ( not a sales pitch)

Started by prophetdaniel2, May 16, 2009, 12:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prophetdaniel2

So I was perusing Craigslist and decided to do a state by state search for American clippers. I found between 15 and 20, mostly centered around California and diminishing in radial proximity, as one would expect.
I found two notable for their appearance, and one I have a question on:

Notice the floor vent, Is this normal for this model? I like the idea. Clipper is in Tampa.

I am SOOOOOOOO Envious.................clipper is in Illinois

I hope to get an air dam/ running boards like these some day. This Washingtonian clipper is from 73! (one of the three first ?!)
Anyway I hope you enjoy these.
-D

JerryT

I have a 78 rear kitchen and I have that same heater vent in mine. It looks like it's a 78 or 79, it has the same interior as mine except I have the couch. The one in Illy my sister actually stopped and looked at. She liked mine so much she wanted one herself, for about a week or two :D It was not a good coach by any means she said.
Look at that 73, the windows are different and also notice it has non dual wheels on the front and dual wheels on the back. I heard that Dodge did it that way untill the mid 70's. I think the Clipper got a interior re-do in early 78 from what I can tell from the pictures I have seen. Mine has the latter interior with the airplane style overhead storage compartment doors and more aluminum trim on the edge of things. I have two floor heater registers, one in the back across from the fridge and the front one but none in the bath. I take it your 77 has none or one? I like the looks of that wood floor, but I have bought carpeting for mine because I want a warmer floor on my bare feet in the cold mornings, I think it will help hold heat better too. We have 12 weeks of summer followed by a 20 week cooling trend, followed by a 20 week warming trend :-\ 
JerryT

prophetdaniel2

I guess I am not really Envious of that green clipper after all then! But then again, If your sister was using your Uber-clipper for comparison..... ;)
     Yeah, my wife liked the look of the laminate floor, but for your right about the carpet in the morning, particularly in AK. We kind of push camping season as much as we can. (All of our carpet was replaced by the previous owner and is in good condition, and it sounds like you and I have the same floor plan). But I am considering installing a similar vent if possible. My clipper only vents hot air from two small round vents, one in the stairwell facing the stove, the other directly below the fridge. The heater is below the pantry/cupboard/fridge area, and a PITA to remove, which I need to do to fix the sail switch. It would be nice to have heat delivery in closer proximity to sleeping areas, not that I am disappointed in the furnace. I have been quite surprised at its efficiency.
     Good eyes on the 73. I don't think the owner knows how rare a bird he's got, though his pricing seems ballpark.
-D

Robert P. Anderson

THE EASY WAY TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CLIPPER WITH A 440 AND A 360 IS THE FRONT WHEELS. THE 440 HAVE THE BIG WHEELS ON BOTH FRONT AND BACK - THE 360'S HAVE THE 3/4 FRONT ENDS WITH THE SMALLER WHEELS.
I THINK THEY PUT THE EXTRA VENTS IN WHEN THEY WENT TO THE COLMEN HEATERS - YOU MIGHT RESEARCH WEATHER THE OLD  HEATER HAS ENOUGH BLOWER TO FORCE TO FEED THE LONGER DUCT WORK.

JerryT

Mine has the Coleman heater, what did they use before?
JerryT

clockwork

I also have floor vents (3) in my 78 Clip. Unfortunately, the PO replaced the old heater with a shiny new Coleman that blows only from the unit itself. Glad Irv switched to crank out windows early on.

dave

prophetdaniel2

I would probably sacrifice the vent pointing at the stove  :'( :P for a similar one to the pic above. I don't think the Suburban brand (to answer jerryt's question) furnace will have much of a problem after that modification, though I will definitely research and run some test mock ups before I commit.

americanhoneybunn

linoleum is amazing when your camping at places like Sand Mountain, NV..... as I learned. I put a runner down for other times. It is so easy to clean!

John Eversoll

I love the color, I was thinking of painting our Clipper a Metallic Blue

or Metallic Brown  Good lookin rig!!!!!! ;) John