News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

cooling fans

Started by handyman, April 03, 2002, 11:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handyman

I haven't heard anyone say anything about installing electric cooling fans and getting rid of the engine driven one, I'm getting ready to replace the fan clutch and water pump and the electric fan is only $40. more than the clutch it seems that they would cool better and make less noise and increase "milage" also has anyone ever changed the fan in there heaters mine is rubbing when it's running

Richard Peterson

Your heater fan is accessed from under the hood on the passenger side.  Just disconnect the 12volt lead, remove the fasteners and see what is causing your fan to rub.  Could be a piece of insulation which has fallen down.
Richard Peterson

handyman

sorry not that fan it's the furness fan

Mark Smith

I would not change the design concept now of the radiator fan, shroud, and clutch. as the original design has worked well on 5000 Clippers for 25 years. I have used the Haydon fan clutch with no problems. Look in the old newsletters for the part number.
To replace the water pump on the 440 engine, you must ask for the 'Heavy Duty' model or it will not cool enough. Use Mopar # 3780196.  I also suggest that you replace the thermostat with 185 or 190 degree full flow type ( 1 1/2 inch flow opening) refer to newsletters for style and part number.
Mark  ACOC#1077

normy

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Foster:
I haven't heard anyone say anything about installing electric cooling fans and getting rid of the engine driven one, I'm getting ready to replace the fan clutch and water pump and the electric fan is only $40. more than the clutch it seems that they would cool better and make less noise and increase "milage" also has anyone ever changed the fan in there heaters mine is rubbing when it's running

normy

I was going  to do the same thing, after going to the auto parts store and going through there parts book the largest supplier is Hayden and they don't advise using one on engines over 360 ci
so I opted for there super duty clutch fan ...bad idea put 2 holes in my brand new 4 row radiater Its to close i opted for the stainless steel fan but I am still looking....after all all the new cars use elec.???

Conrad

I replaced my old 3-core radiator with a new 4-core as well as a new fan clutch, water pump, timing chain etc.  I would re-think the plan to install an electric fan.  The fan clutch is pretty simple and you can check it for proper operation when cool by  spinning the fan (with engine off of course, duh...)    . My old one barely turned.  The new one turns with  some friction, which is normal.  I would definitly not change to an electric because of additional electro-mechanical interaction.  More parts in the system make for more failure opportunity.  I like to keep it stupid simple KISS.

EKS

If you are serious about the electric fan for engine cooling check out those people who specialize in heavy duty cooling like http://www.maxi-cool.com/ and http://www.derale.com/main.shtml. There are dual electric fan kits available for high cubic inch/high horsepower applications. You won't find the information for them at your corner autoparts store though. Also take a look at Derale's transmission cooling products. I've seen several other sources but don't recall addresses so some time searching the internet might help you. There was one application where instead of the a mechanically operated clutch fan it was electrically operated so you could kick it on manually or by a temperature sensor. That site had some information on miieage improvement with their product. That is the way your A/C compressor clutch works so it's proven technology.