News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Propane Smell

Started by LarryAlida, June 02, 2002, 06:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryAlida

Caused by a gas station Attendant over filling our propane tank.And me not watching him close enough.He filled it to 100%.Make sure they only go to 80% or 3/4.This can damage your gas appliances if your lucky.
    Raw propane was leaking from the main valve pressure release.It stopped for awhile and we got it to a real propane dist.the only thing damaged was the regulator.Sometime in the past someone installed a single stage reg.The type you have on your Barbeque.Motorhomes need a dual stage reg.
We replaced the reg.And the hose from the tank to the cast iron pipe on the frame.
Also the propane dealer had to make an adapter hose to drain propane from our tank into a big storage tank he had.And checked our whole system. It took awhile to drain the tank down to a safe level.And nobody could or did not want to park by our rig.While all this was going on.We were lucky.       Larry& Alida

HPotter

This is a big problem. A lot of gas station attendants just don't have enough training to properly fill propane tanks. There is a petcock on mine, and I assume on most all others, that is supposed to be opened before filling. When liquid propane starts coming out of it, the tank is full. After some bad experiences with overfills at gas stations, I try to always go to a propane plant for my refills. They know how to do it right.
Harold, #886.

Horst

After one "over-fill" experience of my own - I now always "supervise" the entire operation.
I get down on my hands and knees and watch the gauge, and when it gets to 75%, I tell him to stop.

I also warn him ahead of time that this is what I'm going to do - so he is ready to turn off the propane quickly.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

lisa bergman

I had this same problem.  It cost me $15 to have some guy over-fill my tank and $50 to have someone from the propanr place to come on Sat. to purge it.