News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Rodney!

Started by susan-y, August 26, 2005, 08:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susan-y

Hey, was looking at your beautiful sunrise picture and of course with a Clipper in view..... I was distracted.  Is that a CB antenna?  How is it/is it reenforced to stop stress on the fiberglass.  Mine is currently mounted on the top of the drivers mirror, clears the top of the Clipper by a couple of inches and doesn't appear to get the best reception/transmit.  Just curious! Like the owner of the Radio Shack in Coquille told me.  Without good clearance its like shouting in a closet!  Guess I need a longer antenna or move it.  Sue

Rodney

Hi Sue.
yes it is.
There is a piece of aluminum angle for the bracket that screws to the body thats about it as far as I know. I would suggest to use some silicone between the bracket and body to act as a glue and to seal the screw holes from moisture.
That was an awsome sunrise wasn't it :D
Rodney

susan-y

Thanks for the tip.  Ours are pretty nice over here,too (sunrise).. when the fog is gone. Sue

Rodney

YES I bet the sun setting over the Pacific ocean is spectacular to say the least. I don't get over that way very often, it's been years I am embarrassed to say :oops: and have never made it to the coast with the Clipper. looking forward to someday heading that way. A walk on the beach is long over due.
Rodney :)

Andy Illes

Sue, Rodney..... where did you goys mount your CB inside?   I have one but can't figure out where to stick the stupid thing so it wouldn't be in the way of something.

Re: antennas.  CB antennas need a "ground plane"... which is a reflective metal surface.  Found that out with my boat, years ago.   Not sure you'd get much of one mounting on the mirror brackets, might be why you have a weak signal Sue.... yours work ok Rodney?  Seems to me onna those multi-purpose ones, replacing the regular radio antenna'd be the best way to go... you'd have the hood for a good ground plane.

Rodney

This goy had his CB mounted on the top of the dash. I have removed it when I intsalled the CD player radio.
to be honest with you I have never used thd CD.. it was installed when I bought the Clipper. I will have to hook it back up and see how it works with the  antenna up there.

Conrad

I mounted my CB on the centerline overhead just aft of the mirror.  I fed the coax and power in the space available under the windshield moulding.  I drilled a hole in the left side metal dash to allow the power feed to pass through (you can probably make a better path going around the dash).  The coax just goes out the forward edge of the drivers door to a stainless steel Z-style bracket.  The bracket holds the antenna (I bought one with an internal ground plane, similar to one used on fiberglass surfaces) and attaches to the left quarter panel where the engine hood mates with the quarter panel.  Engine hood closes over the mounting screws.  With the wider clearance around the door, I didn't have to drill anything to get the coax outside.  Works pretty good, only need it for freeway info and logging roads.

Rodney

There you go Conrad has the tip of the day for the CB installation,
That is a good out of the way place to mount the CB the overhead.
When I installed the radio in my boat I bought a housing from radio shack to enclose the radio and gave a way to mount to a flat surface. Its a black plastic housing which looks pretty good when installed.
that's the main reason I havn't put the CB back... I didn't like it on the dash.
Thanks Conrad.

Conrad

Your welcome Rodney.

Another location is on the drivers seat pedestal.  Lots of our employees liked having the radio control head and mic mounted just where your right hand would be if you just let it hand down.  (Alternate mic location would be on the dash).  Route the power and coax under the carpet to the dash area and wherever the antenna is located.

My early years in the Comm Shop had me in the installation bay.  I have installed (and uninstalled) hundreds of two way VHF and UHF radios.  The older radios still had tube finals.  GE Mastr Pro and Master II.

Andy Illes

Geeze Conrad, you're really dating yourself, lol.  Remember the tube testers seemingly every drugstore used to have?

Got a question for you.  One of my issues - in fact the only one - in locating my CB is hearing the (puny) speaker, which is in the bottom of the case.  Is there a way to get that audio outta my stereo speakers?  There's no audio-out jack on the CB but my radio/cd player has an audio input jack.  Could I just take the CB speaker leads.... run 'em to that input?

susan-y

Like Conrads, mine is mounted on the overhead too. Very handy and the audio is more than loud enough.  Looks good and isn't in the way.   I'll look at getting the antenna moved... feel better when I am coming up against log trucks and semi's.

Who ever mounted it did a wonderful job.  Only wires showing are coming out of the overhead into the back of the CB.