News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Upholstery Question

Started by Andy Illes, August 08, 2005, 07:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Illes

Hi all.

Mine's a '76 rear-kitchen 21'... floor plan 821F (side sofa, full dinette).  

I finally found a fabric I like and am ready to reupholster everything,  including the "header panels" under the cabinets, across the cab-over bunk, and across the rear above the kitchen stuff.... as well courtains for the large side windows and behind the kitchen.

Anyone know how much fabric I need to get for all that..... or even parts of the job?

Oh.... and also, how do those header panels attach/come off?  I haven't looked all that hard, but don't see any screws offhand.   Any other tips to make the job easier?

Thanx  once again, Andy

bigray

As far as the fabric I can't recall how much it took. I'll have to ask my wife. Maybe she remembers. I recovered the large one and the 3 windows in cabover area. I also did the two windows in the living space. I did not tackle the one in the kitchen area.

As far as removing the valences, I totally dismantled mine to remove them. Even after I had them off it was a mystery as to how they mounted them. It was like to tucked it first and somehow mounted it after the tucking. Maybe someone with Upholstery experience knows how it was done.

I simple used small elbow brackets to reattach mine. I'll post some photos.

terry and karen conkle

straight up are wood screws, long driver start in the middle, they can be pulled out some for extra space forr your hands.

Andy Illes

Thanks Terry.... or Karen

Found 'em.  Geeze, I used to think orientals were cleverly inscrutable... but know what?   They can't hold a candle to Perch's guys, lol.  I had looked behind there once and guess I just overlooked the screws.  If I take the roller blinds out, no prob getting to 'em.

Spent the weekend getting my place set up, and I'll be doing that all week but upholstery's next on the "Fred's Projects" list.... once I hear from someone how much fabric I need to get.  Mine still has the original coarse-woven brown/orange/green plaid stuff, and it's pretty raggedy.

Andy Illes

While I'm thinking of it.... have another question, which may be a really stupid one.... nothing new for me, lol.

The fabric I found (Walmart) is decent looking/feeling heavy upholstery stuff.... $4.97 a yard.  Is that a good price for this sortta thing?   Or should I try some other place, like Joanne Fabrics or something?

Odd that plain 'ol upholstery fabric costs more than a lotta carpet, huh?

Thanx... Andy

bigray

I paid a bit more for mine. I think around $7. My wife picked it out and it looks great!

I got mine from Hancock Fabrics. I'll take photos tonight! I promise!