News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Engine Work

Started by Deborah Carvalho, June 20, 2005, 09:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deborah Carvalho

I'm getting my Clipper fixed up and she's looking good. I cleaned her up with softscrub last week and am looking for wax today. She's shining!

My husband is replacing the bathroom ceiling tomorrow and we're doing the roof as soon as it stops raining for a few days here.

This week, I've reupholstered the bench seats and bed. They look great!

I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to mess with pulling out and replacing the carpet. It is the original and actually doesn't look that bad, although I'm sure it could use a change.

Now I'm wondering what to do about a tune-up/engine work. I'm embarrassed to say we've never had a tuneup done on it. Just changed the oil and put water and gas in and she's run fine. But this year, she's backfiring and running rough, probably from sitting.

So I need to have a tune up done so I can sell her. I want the new owner to know that she really does run great when she's happy.

BUT.. I can't afford thousands of dollars of work. The new owner will have to do that kind of stuff if it's needed.

My regular mechanic won't work on an RV.  So what do I do? How do I find someone who will just do a simple tuneup on this rig?

I live in Portland, Oregon - do I take it to an RV place? They will probably want my firstborn child... Help?

susan-y

Most of the RV dealers I have dealt with do not do chassis work, they only work on the "house portion". I would call a local RV dealer, ask for service, and see who they would recommend.  There are usually one or two businesses that the RV dealer does chassis (vehicle) repairs, tune-ups with.  A tune up shouldn't cost any more than a tune up on a normal rig. Only possible problem would be if they needed to replace some parts, and then (due to the age of your clipper) you would have the delay of the parts being ordered....etc.

From prior posting it sounds like a real (fill in the appropriate words) to remove the carpeting.  Something about a deranged worker who has put about 100 staples per square inch.

Roy Jensen

I took mine to Bruce Chevrolet in Hillsboro and they did a fine job.  Mine is a Chevy 400 I'not sure which Chassis you have, the Chevy or the Dodge.

Deborah Carvalho

I have a Dodge -

Horst

I have to disagree with s-y-k. Many auto shops I know  most in fact)- and I know more than a few - charge more per hour in labor rates for motorhomes than for regular vehicles.
Don't really know why - although working in and around a doghouse can be a real pain in the bottom (having paid my dues in this arena.)
I'd probably charge more myself come to think about it..........
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

susan-y

Ok, Horst is right :roll:   I called my mech this a.m. and he said they do charge a higher rate for motorhomes.  Sigh..   Glad I wasnt aware of that during the rebuild HAH!!! :shock:   Still, the shops your RV dealers work with will have a more knowledgeable tech.

Rodney

If you are ever in Central Oregon I will tune up your clipper for you :)
and I sure don't want any KIDS :lol:
Rodney