News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Mods and repairs to my '78 21 ft Clipper

Started by Rodney, March 23, 2005, 06:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodney

Yep the entire section where the A/C fits in the Kitchen area. It was so brittle it needed to come out and I wanted to fit the new piece in the channel like it came out. not sure which floor plan you have but I had to remove the cabnet above my sink and reused it with no problem but the cabnet for the fidge was a different story, it came out in pieces. Thats why I built new. While I was at it I jacked the roof up  when I was intsalling the framing to help hold the roof where it belongs. this was done after I fit and glued and stapled the new ceiling panel in. The roof /  ceiling is built with 1 x 1 looks to be fur or pine wood. there is not much support in this area. This is why I beefed up the Vertical supports in the fridge cabnets. It was a lot more effort to do the repair this way but I feel it was worth the extra time. you have to really look close to see that the paneling was replace.
hope this gives you an idea what to do.
R

Rastaman

Thanks R,.....I will preceed with caution.....and figure out the most effective and pleasing way to go...
David

Rastaman

Hey Rodney...The area of the around the vent by the back door is where i have the most damage...I would love to take the cabinets above the sink down to instal new paneling on the ceiling...However i took a strong look at them today and couldnt see how to get them down with out busting them up...and i would want to reuse them....how did you get your cabinets down...
I plan on using that thin white fiber type paneling that HD sells that can be used in bathrooms...its textured on one side, thin ,light, and easy to work with..
david

Rodney

I went and looked at my cabinet and seems it was screwed in? its been a while since I did the job so my CRS is kicking in a bit LOL
I replaced a few support stringers for them and with some construction adhesive went back together with them. there were a few screws that I had to cut to get the thing out but it was no big deal. Take a close look and you should be able to get apart without to much effort. When I installed the new piece into the channel of the ceiling I took the new piece of sheeting after it was cut to fit and slightly beveled the edge where it fit in to the aluminum channel to make it slide in easier I also glued this seam. I used glue every where I could and screws. when you start removing supports pay attention  to the ceiling/roof not to sag down. I had a friction jack with a piece of porta power pipe going from the floor to the ceiling to hold things up and I gave it a little extra up for good measure cuz my roof was sagging down pretty good. It looks nice now but H2O still puddles around the vent so when I can I park on a slight incline for the water to run off.
let us know how it goes and take some pictures as you are working on it with your digital camera. its fun to look back on the work you have done.
Rodney

MarsellaFamily

Rodney,

I have the same Clipper you do.

I do not have an original owners manual and so I do not know what model we are driving.  I believe its an FJ30, right?  When I go to Kragen to get belts and hoses I have no idea and my choices are B100, B200, B300 1/4 ton, 1/2 ton, 1 ton.  

What belts and hoses(radiator, fuel, vacuum) fit our rig and what is the best way to get to the belts?

Thanks,
Darin
[/i]

Rodney

Quote from: "MarsellaFamily"Rodney,

I have the same Clipper you do.

I do not have an original owners manual and so I do not know what model we are driving.  I believe its an FJ30, right?  When I go to Kragen to get belts and hoses I have no idea and my choices are B100, B200, B300 1/4 ton, 1/2 ton, 1 ton.  

What belts and hoses(radiator, fuel, vacuum) fit our rig and what is the best way to get to the belts?

Thanks,
Darin
[/i]

Yes the 300 {or 30 one ton} model is what I have. If you open the drivers door there should be a tin tag on the door jamb with some information along with GVW which is helpful when getting in to the brakes and axle parts. I have had some confusion with the model number at the local parts store wheather it is a F or B 300? I think my tag reads F 30. the best way to go is to have the parts in hand when going to the parts store so you can compare and measure what you have. installing the belts are something you have to work at from top and bottom and just take your time since I have removed the A/C on my home its a piece of cake with the A/C installed it's a little harder. If you have A/C on the engine be sure and buy a matched set of belts if they are dual belts. Vaccum hoses are sold bulk off a roll so take a little sample of each size with you leaving the hoses in place on the engine and do one at a time so you know where the go.
If I were doing this I might consider replacing the water pump as well if it hasn't been replaced in years this way you would have more access to the front of the engine with the parts removed. this is a good time to check and replace the distributor cap and wires and check / replace the thermostat.
good luck
Rodney

MarsellaFamily

Rodney,

Thanks for the reply!   Looks like I better rail into it.  It would make since not to mess with having the A/C hooked up if your unit up top works.  

For now I will stick with using little time I have to work with the basics and thanks for the idea on the water pump and thermo-stat.

Darin

tomfridley

the clipper on a dodge chassis is known as a f30 [the vin# starts with f3]
this is the same as a b300 van. the f3 simply means when it left the dodge factory it was an incomplete van chassis ready for a motorhome conversion. after 1977, they are rated as a f4 chassis which means it has heavier front springs on the front suspension.[1 1/4 ton]
even the upper and lower control arms are the same as the earlier f3 chassis. i have installed new front springs from a 1978 f3 in my 1977 clipper and everything fit perfectly and improved the ride a lot.
all the parts under the hood such as belts,hoses etc. are the same as a b300 van.
i have worked a for a chrysler dealer since my 1977 clipper was first built.
hope this info helps.