News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Black water overflow when full

Started by bigray, November 07, 2004, 01:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigray

Hi All,

For the first time this weekend, I filled my black tank. My full indicator light appartenly does not work or is covered with something I don't want to even think of.

At any rate, when it was nearly full (in retrospect) the water didn't just drop as usual but hesitated for a split second. When it was completely, I could see the water at the point where the toilet entered the top of the tank.

I went outside to dump the tank I saw water dripping from the top of the tank onto the ground. Is this some type of safely mechanism or do I need to make some repairs to fix this problem.

Given that it only happen/happened when the tank is completely full, I'm not too concerned. I remember Horst, Shayne or someone else mentioning that they had a similar problem.   Let me know.

By the way, the water that was leaking was like fresh water. I think my 3 year son like flushing the toilet all too much. I swear that boy went to pee more time this weekend than he has in his short little life. God... you got to love 'em.

We had a blast. This was the first camping trip we have done in our Clipper. We took a road trip last January and spent the night along the way.

Other than the water leakage and bad thermostat (damn heater wouldn't go off at 3 am after I turn the thermostat up to use the heater), the Clipper performed wonderfully.

Andy Illes

Ray.... I've filled mine to the top any number of times and it never leaked.  I suspect you have a loose flange seal connection or something.  Just did it today, on purpose with bleach in it, to flush the thing out so I could pull the paddles without keeling over.

As to your thermostat.... dunno about a programable one.   I think most run on 24v.... but as it happens, I have a spare one exactly like ours... don't ask where I got it or why.... no idea.... I've had it for years.  Same exact one though.   Email me your address, and it's yours, my compliments.... assuming I can find it in my storage place.

Regards, Andy
AndyIllesTwo@AOL.com
or... 561-317-2282

bigray

Got to love. I just went outside to remove some stuff from the Clipper and guess what? The black water tank level indicator is on. I know for sure that it is nowhere close to full.

I dumped it at the park before we left today. I guess something is make it give a false read. I guess I'll put a couple bags of ice in it and take a little ride this week.

What am I talking about, I have another camping trip this weekend. Who whooo..................isn't life grand.

Horst

Holding tank meters/indicators:

Bottom line - they are simply not very good/accurate/dependable in our units. You can do the "ice" trick, you can use the "majic wand" (I have one - they're OK) - you can rinse the heck out of your tank (I do - quite regularly) - and still - your tank indicators won't be "perfect" and may in fact be way off - typically showing full when not near full, or even empty!
Usually a piece of tp or something stuck on the sensor.

Best way to check black tank?
Get a flash light, turn off the water pump (or shore water if your hooked up)  flush and hold open the toilet valve, and have a peak into your tank - but for goodness sake - do not drop the flashlight in there!

On of my first trip out, my wife is taking her  fifth shower in 2 days!! - and then comes out quickly to inform me that the water is not draining out of the shower. I go quickly and check the grey holding tank level, and it says 1/2 full. Being the novice that I was, I assumed there was a clog in the shower drain. So I go to the front desk at the RV park where we we staying and ask if they have an Drano, or something to unclog my shower.
The older guy behind the desk asks me if my dump valves are open and if I'm hooked up to the park cleanout - and I say "no, but I know I have a clog because my tank sensor says I'm only half full".
He looks at me and sighs quietly to himself, realizing I am a total RV novice - then he says in a calm reassuring manner"your holding tank is full son, don't trust your sensors, they don't work all the time."
He was right of course.........
I'm a bit more experienced in RVing now..........
And my wife is trained in military showers, and only uses the Clipper shower if there is no other option...........but she still insists on using the Clipper bathroom, even when we are in a campground with a perfectly clean bathroom within walking distance!
grrr!!!!
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Andy Illes

Horst... I think I love your wife.   Wanna swap her for Jaws?  She HATES showers.... but loves snuggling and gives great kisses.  Also, she doesn't complain much and never bitches.

:D

Mine black tank's dry as a bone today, yet the thing shows F, even after I filled/dumped it twice with clean water & bleach.   Yeah.... probably TP stuck on the sensor.   I use my house pump instead of "shore water", and go by the fresh water level.... it's accurate, and should reflect the level in the holding tanks.  I've had the shower back up too.

handyman

Hay Ray I had the same thing eather the gasket on the pot or the flange where it goes into the tank  if you take the screws out of the flange it will pull out mine just had sealent around the pipe pull it off and put some silacone sealent on it and screw it back down as for flushing the tank if memory serves some one has a divice to flush his tank automaticly with just a hook of a hose  :D    Jim

bigray

Thanks Jim. I just replaced that toilet and thought that I did something wrong.

Of course I've never filled the tank so it may have done the same with my old toilet. I poke around with it to see what I can find.

HPotter

One of our chapter members puts a cup of Pine Sol in the tank before each trip. He claims that helps keep things cleaner and working better. It just might slosh around in there and keep those sensors exposed.

Harold #886