News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

tow a jeep

Started by robert spence, October 19, 2004, 08:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert spence

towing a jeep cherokee behind my 78 ac . no dolly ideas. want atow barto fold up on front of the jeep. brakes from clipper to work in unison with brakes on clipper .may i have your ideas. spencehbp@memes.com     phone 360 383 0961  please help. :shock:

robert spence

Quote from: "robert spence"towing a jeep cherokee behind my 78 ac . no dolly ideas. want atow barto fold up on front of the jeep. brakes from clipper to work in unison with brakes on clipper .may i have your ideas. spencehbp@memes.com     phone 360 383 0961  please help. :shock:

Andy Illes

Hi Robert....

The first thing, check the posts in the Tech Forum about reinforcing the rear frame... essential if you want to tow anything heavier than a foam beer cooler on a roller skate.  

There's no way I'm aware of to get your Jeep's brakes to work in conjunction with your Clip's.... as far as I know, that can only be done with electric brakes, which I doubt your Jeep has.  However, you might check the tech posts in Woodalls.com.  

Many years ago, I had a Jayco fold-down that had a hydraulic master cylinder sort of thing integral with it's hitch that activated the trailer's hydraulic brakes.   But whether there's such a hitch available for a car, I don't know.  At the very least, it would seemingly be an amazingly complex plumbing job.

Good luck, Andy

AndyIlles

Well Robert - do you have any crows I could munch?  Check this link on the Woodall's site, you may have to register if you haven't.  It has an extensive discussion on toad brakes...

http://www.woodalls.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14506427/gotomsg/14512751.cfm#14512751

handyman

The best and easeyest is the brake buddey nothing to modify just set in the floor hook it to the brake pedel and plug it into the cigaret light it works on a decel system when you hit the brakes it feels the inursha and applys the tow brakes really works nice

robert spence

thanks fellow members .  my close friend has a brake buddy ,i looked at it and decided this is fir me .Question are their any used available? please owners of used do wou want to sell  regards Spence :roll:

Andy Illes

Spence... check this site... http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-hitches/brakebuddy-install.pdf

And then Google for a unit.  Amazon and E-bay both have several - way cheaper than list.

robert spence

good morning all friends of braking problems when towing a car .new mexico and tennessee had good prices on new brake buddy  my dealer in north seattle who is installing the hitch had a price of $870 which included the breakaway and elert system.to install the two systems is rated at one hr time . so for those interested the complete system installed will be $2100 plus tx   this was a great price saved me over 1k from local dealer. spencehbp the metal dector enthusiast   Dont forget to vote this is your american heritage

Andy Illes

Bob----

Got your letter with the Brake Buddy info.... thank you very much!!!  That's a really slick gizzmo, huh?  I hadda dump my bumper (somehow, a chromed pretzel hanging off the back of my Clip just didn't do it for me, lol), so this is a good time to reinforce my frame for towing... and I'm getting a BB.

Our little PO didn't fare any better than anything else through our 3 back-to-back hurricanes and things were pretty well screwed up, our Zip Code didn't even "exist" for over a week - whatta mess.... but it's ok now.

Thanks again,
Andy

robert spence

:D dear andy    a lot of my metal decting buddies are getting a lot of coins at the beaches in the wake of the bad storm. if i were closer i would be there to join them . glad you like the brake buddy instructions. have a nice week end . our weather is nice 40 no rain put the garden to bed yesterday ,gave it 5 full 5 galloms of rabbit pellets. change that to gallons.  spencehbp