News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Ign. timing/mileage

Started by Andy Illes, October 10, 2004, 03:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Illes

Hi all.

I found this site, and if you scroll down, there's some good info about timing your ignition.  This would apply to any engine our Clips use.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/classicamx/apr2001/apr2001.htm

As I've posted before, I'm getting amazing mileage from what you all say, and all I can attribute it to is a good tune-up, carb/distrib rebuild, new vacuum hoses, and most likely.... bumping my initial timing up.  I'm going to try 12* and see how that works, though I think that will produce too much pinging on regular gas, but like the site says, the mileage gain may make up for having to buy premium.

If any of you try it, please post what you found.

Thanx... Andy

Andy Illes

Ok, I tried it and 12* is too much initial advance... my 360 pings like all get out, and with premium around $2.75 now... forget it.  The 10* I've set to works fine on anything other than flat-on-the-floor accelleration or steep climbs.

As a heads-up... one thing I forgot to mention in my earlier posts on this subject is that when I was going through this thing after I first got it, I found that the mechanical advance weights were stuck from jelled old grease, and the vacuum advance jobbie ($4.75, I think) leaked and didn't work, along with a crunchy vacuum hose.  Something worth checking that anyone can do.  If anyone needs help, HungarianDude@AOL.com, or 561-317-2282.... I don't mind talking Clips (as should be obvious from my hogging these posts, lol).

:)  Andy

Horst

Andy,
About how "far" in rotation distance is 10 degrees BTC from TDC  when measured at the distributor housing?
Like 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, or?? - you'll have to use a piece of string......

My timing light "took a poo" - and since this really is simply a rough adjustment (move it until it pings too much), I was wondering if you could measure your 10 degree spot  for me.

I plan to "notch" my TDC setting on the distributor housing, and then notch my ideal "advance" setting, and maybe even have an "altitude" setting - my Clipper has trouble breathing at 7,000 feet.

I'm gonna need a new timing light soon I suppose.........
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Andy Illes

Hiyya Horst...

Sorry, but I'm in NO mood to pull my doghouse off just now, after chasing insurance adjusters all day.  It's cocktail hour, Dude, and with any luck at all, I won't know a string from a dogleash in a half hour!!

I frankly didn't pay any attention to how much distributor movement equals how much advance, and I would MOST strongly suggest that you don't try it like that anyway.  There are just too many variables... air and rotor gaps, shaft wear, etc., etc., etc.... even a simple test light would be better... or as you note, the "advance 'till the sucker pings" method.  I will, however, pull it in the next day or two and and try to answer your request anyway.  Also, I need to nab a helper cuz as you know, it's a 2 man job since the distributor's at the back of the engine, and the timing marks are at the front, and you can't see both at the same time.... duh.

Regards, Andy

handyman

Hay Andy don't know if you can see a string yet but if you have a 440 or a 360 look at your bell housing theres a hole at the top and if you turn your engine over slowley youll find another set of timing marks makes it a real easy job :D

Horst

Hey Andy,
No problem - I didn't expect you pull the doghouse just for that - just was kind of hopong that you had "marked" your spots, and the next time you had it off, you could give it a quick measure.

But I'm just going to it the old fashioned way........."ear" tuning - then I'll get the wife to help me and check it for real with a new timing light.

BTW - you can do it alone - it just takes a few trips back and forth from the front bumper to check the timing mark, to the doghouse to turn (and slightly tighten) the distributor...........a bit of pain - but when you're alone..........
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

handyman

Horst like I said look at the top of your bell houseing theres a hole and another set of timming marks you can look and adjust at the same time unless someone replaced the torque convertor with the wrong one other wise they all have them :D

Andy Illes

Ok Horst... here ya go.

Had my doghouse off today and looked for ya.  10* is about 1/2" move of the vacuum advance jobbie.

One note of caution I hadn't mentioned before.  The mark on the harmonic balancer mine came with was WAY off from the thing ageing and slipping around on the rubber.... I couldn't even see the mark when the engine "sounded" right.  If yours is old too, take plug #1 out.... drop a dowl or something in and check for TDC that way.  I got a brand new balancer for $25, and the mark on the old one was about 23* off!!!!

Btw... I found the "build sheet" for my Clip, and the tranny in it now is the original one, and it doesn't have a timing "port" on\in the bellhousing (360/727).