News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Mileage update, 1,244 mi later...

Started by Andy Illes, October 08, 2004, 11:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Illes

... that's NY to home, 91.54 gals total (half tank left).  Back in Loxahatchee (W. Palm Beach)... or rather, what's left of it after 3 storms.  Uneventful trip, except I left my (coach) keys in the gascap during my fill-up in St. Pauls, NC.  Duh!!

However, if I completely topped my tank off, I had a really serious fuel leak out of what I presume is a charcoal canister that's on the passenger side of the engine, behind the front wheel.  Anybody else have this?

Thanks for everyone's help and support with all my dumb questions to make it such an uneventful trip... y'all's the GREATEST...  :D

handyman

Andy that canister is for smog what it does when your parked it keeps the fuel vapers from excaping into the air  it stores them then the next time you start the engine the engine pulls the vapers in and burns them, if its leaking I would recommend getting it fixed asap raw gas by a hot exhaust pipe and a propane flame of the refer bang bang no more clipper :D

Andy Illes

Thaks Jim.   Can I just remove/bypass that thing... or do I need to replace it?   Remember.... no "smogging" necessary down here.

Again, y'all are great... thank you.

handyman

You can but I wouldent it keeps fuel fumes and vapores from going into the house and engine area it's one of the few good smog devices :D

Andy Illes

Hi Jim and all.

I'll take your counsel and keep it, Jim.. thank you.    However, I called all the larger parts houses and they don't even list a charcoal canister for this thing ('76 360)... ditto the Dodge dealer - no longer available.   Does anyone know of any "generic" one that would work?   Or a part number for this one, or an interchange?

Btw... I just started hearing an exhaust manifold leak (pft, pft, pft sound, sortta like a lifter ticking) after I got home, I THINK on the driver's side.  I already picked up new gaskets but haven't looked at the thing yet.... any tips/shortcuts, etc?  Anything else I should fix while I'm at it that's easy/easier to get to with the manifolds off?

Thanks again, Andy

Conrad

Check the local junk yards.  That was a multi year item on these rigs.  Any similar dodge/plymouth van of that era should have had it.

Andy Illes

Thanks for the reply, Conrad.   I sortta thought of that, but wondered if I wouldn't be buying the same problem with a used unit.   What do you think?

Thanks, Andy

Conrad

When you mention a 'serious fuel leak'  from the canister, how serious is it?  The canister is supposed to collect the vapor from the carb (not the liquid gas) as mentioned before.  If you are getting leak there, i would want to know the reason why the liquid form of fuel is where the gaseous form should be located.  Sumptin' don't sound right.

Andy Illes

How serious?  By the time I noticed it Conrad, I'd guess at least a gallon had leaked there, it was quite a steady flow.   Fearing a catastrophic fire, I pulled away from the initial puddle at the pump and just on a hunch, opened the gas cap again and that seemed to stop the flow (btw - the flow had diminished quite a bit by then).   Again, it only happened the two times I really topped off... meaning until the fuel level rose right to the filler level.  I have no idea how that system is supposed to function.... where lines run from the tank to that thing, or anything else about it.... but yup, the canister certainly is getting raw liquid.

Any suggestions what I should be looking at and fixing?

Horst

exhaust leak.........
I wonder if all that driving with the advanced timing had anything to do with that?
From what I understand, advanced timing will make you run hotter.......

hmmm.............

also (and this escaped me earlier) your cannister should absolutely not have any gas it in it - sounds like someone got some hoses crossed up or something - but like Conrad said - get this addressed asap

but heck - with gas prices they way they are - maybe I'll go to 6btd and see if my mileage improves - heh!
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Andy Illes

Well, it does have raw gas in it.  I have NO idea how the hoses are supposed to be routed.  It's not running out of a large 90* rubber "elbow" jobbie on the end of it, but rather, it seemed to be coming from somewhere in the middle of the canister.  All suggestions welcomef.

As to the exhaust thing, I wasn't running "hot", at least as far as the temp guage showed.   I think it's just age.  I don't see any obvious signs that anyone's ever messed with the manifolds, and the gasket(s) just might be getting old and tired.... like me.  :cry:

handyman

OK I got out the old trusted Dodge maint manual and heres what it says looking at the tube side of the canester the upper hose goes to the crab the midel hose goes to the tank and the bottom nipple is capped off with a cap that is probaly where your leaking fuel if you have three lines the bottom one goes to the carb bowl but thats only for light duty vans this is from my 77 and for the 360 what is supose to happen when you start up on a hot day all the fumes from the carb bowl go to the canister as well as vapor from the tank, then when your under way the carb pulls the vapor out of the canister and is burned. another possiblty is your over filling the tank on a warm day and before you burn down some the gas is expanding and filling the can this can happen  just follow the hose but #1 get a new can or replace the tubing please do not run that thing untell you do also before you start working on this thing open the gas cap and vent the pressure  remember everone ever one of these Clippers were made in Calif and all have Calif emiisions no matter where you live  good luck let me know what you find hope this helps :D

Andy Illes

Once again, Handyman dons his gleaming armor, mounts his sturdy steed.... and thunders to yet another rescue...  :D  :D  Thanks, Jim - you're truly priceless!!!

Yeah, it's an absolutely must-fix-immediately thing.  "Clip Flambe" just doesn't sound appetizing.  I guess God WAS my copilot, huh?

The hoses/connections are ok, it seemed like the fuel was coming from the top of the canister - meaning the canister itself is probably shot.  That's why I'm asking if anybody knows of a replacement unit.  However, from your description of what it does though, it sounds like any canister that fits would work... ya think?  Most that I've seen mount vertically with the hoses connected at the top, whereas ours mount sideways with the hoses on the sides.  Wonder if that makes a difference?  Would one of the vertical-mount ones work ok sideways?

From how you describe that circuit, it's puzzling how/why that thing's getting raw fuel to it, never mind in that quantity, huh?  Plus, it wasn't just drip, drip, dripping... it was a good, solid stream.   It was mid-to-upper 70s the whole trip, so I don't think it's temp related.  Rather, since it only happened the 2 times I topped it off right to the filler opening (and remembering that the filler is at about the same level as the carb, I'm thinking it has to somehow be level-related - or maybe even siphoning?  

Hmmmmm...  :idea:  it just now hit me that the amount leaking out would seem to be about what the filler hose would hold above the tank level, huh?   I just went out with a flashlight (it's 5:30am here), and the canister seems to be at about tank-top level.... where the hell's my laser level when I need it?!?!?!

In case you haven't guessed yet, I'm onna those insufferable jerks that just HAS to know "why", lol.  I'll get on it after daybreak and keep ya posted.  Still have to find a canister though.... sigh.

Thanks to the hurricanes, I'm unfortunately full-timing at the moment, so it's gotta get fixed pronto.

handyman

andy try thr junk yards first if not try NAPA someone should be able to order one for you and stop over filling the tank I think this is part of the problem most times when they click off thats where you should stop and I think your problems will stop after you replace the can of course sorry to hear about the home stead how bad did you get hit ? :(

Horst

yeah - I'm with Handyman on this one Andy - quit filling your Clipper to the hilt - leave a little room for expansion, etc.
And besides, you're getting 13+mpg, so you can stand to leave out a few gallons

Horst (who is jealous enough to fiddle with his timing this weekend)
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.