News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Cruise Control Q FIXED!!

Started by Andy Illes, September 23, 2004, 06:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Illes

My problem turned out to be a short from chafed wires where they enter the steering column shroud from the turn-signal stalk.

Though intimidating looking (at least to me), the fix turned out to be an easy, totally no-brainer/no-surprises/easy-to-get-at/anybody-can-do-it 45 min job, and the only necessary tool you'll probably need to buy or borrow is a $7.98 steering wheel puller (any auto parts store).  It also gave me a chance to fix my balky horn button.

1.  Remove the horn pad.  2 screws, one on either side, behind the steering wheel.

2.  Remove the springy, round horn gizzmo.... 3 screws.

3.  Remove the large nut/washer that retains the steering wheel.

4.  Attach the steering wheel puller and remove the steering wheel.  Btw, the shaft splines have a "key", so you don't have to mark the wheel position to get it back on right.

5.  With the wheel off, you'll see the nylon turn-signal mechanism.  It has a 3/8" hex-head screw in the middle.  It's a long sucker that goes through and screws directly into the end of the turn-signal stalk, which then drops right out.

6.  After taping the wires, I took a piece of 12 ga wire (10 wouldda been better), stripped 3/4" of insulation off, slit the insulation "tube" lengthwise and slipped it over the "notch" where the wires enter the column for a grommet so it won't chafe again.

7.  Horn - to the right, you'll see a jobbie sticking up with a little copper roller on the end.  That's the "pick-up" for the horn... clean it, and the back of the round horn gizzmo.

8.  You can see that long 3/8" screw sticking down, so getting it back into the turn-signal stalk is easy.  Other than that, just be sure to tighten the steering wheel nut so the wheel is seated all the way (end of splines will be even with the wheel... you'll see).

VOILA!!!!  The cruise and horn now work fine....  :D  Hope this helps someone else.  Andy