News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Amonnia smell in my frig

Started by bigray, June 08, 2004, 06:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigray

Hi All,

Well wouldn't you know it,  on my camping trip this past weekend, I smelled ammonia in my frig. I first thought that perhaps it was the cleaner that I used. However, it took forever to cool.

When I got home I switch the mode to gas to keep it cool thru the week. I went out to check on it shortly after and it was warm.

I think my cooling system has sprung a leak. What are my options (beyond the obvious one of replacing it with a new one). I'd like to repair the leak if at all

HPotter

You have a serious problem. The sealed cooling unit in your fridge has sprung a leak and the ammonia you smelled  is of course the escaping refrigerant. You need to talk to someone who repairs RV refrigerators, and may be told that you are going to have to bite the bullet and replace the whole box. Good luck!

Harold, #886

bigray

I found an outfit that would recondition the whole cooling system. I have to remove it and ship it to them. It's going to cost $450 (shipping included).

I'm saving my nickles to have it done; however, camping can't stop because of a refrig. I once camped with a cooler and can do it again until I get my refrig fixed.

Happy Trails

HPotter

That's a good deal, Ray! My sister had the same situation in their Clipper and had to buy a whole new fridge for over a thousand dollars. And the new ones never seem to fit the space, so some cutting and patching always seems necessary.

Harold

Jimbilly

If some of you are looking for a outfit to recondition their cooling unit they might give these people a call.  I have not done business with them myself but they might be able to save you some money and the trouble of trying to install a completely new unit.

http://www.rvmobile.com/

Jimbilly