News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Original shag rug

Started by AndyIlles, March 10, 2004, 02:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyIlles

Anyone have a tip for an easy way to get the rug out with the zillion staples per square inch?

handyman

Nada zip the only way I found was rip the old rug and pull out the staples with side cutters [dykes]
look out for the dust  

bigray

Andy,

I hope you have lots and lots of patience. Take a picture before you start because you'll need something to keep you motivated.

AndyIlles

I got started.... GEEZE!!!

Anybody tracked down and shot the crazed bastard with the staple gun yet????

jreedy

I replaced the shag carpet in my 79 Clipper recently. I just ripped up the old carpet and used a large Black and Decker cheapo sander to sand the entire floor. It just ate through the staples as though they were not there. Then I coated the floor with adhesion promoter from Home Depot, and applied stick on laminate tile. Looks much better and super easy to clean. Also, set up a fan in the front door and leave the back door open. All the dust will be blown out as you sand.

mollerus

Andy,  The only way is the hard way.  I found that side cutter plyers gripped the staples and a rotational motion took the stapes out pretty fast.  My carpeting was a patch work of about ten small pieces which probably accounted for all the staples.  I installed the new carpeting in two pieces and used about one tenth the stapes as original. I also used small home made quarter round strips on the edges to hold them flat and prevent curling up. Remember you or somoene else may have to do the job again sometime in the future!

bigray

Andy,

Crazed he was. But one thing for sure, the carpet wasn't going to come up.

If you haven't gotten to the bathroom yet, look out. You're talking about a pain. I'm about 6'4" and 250 and getting my wide body in that small opening to remove that carpet was a nightmare.

The carpet was installed before the toilet was installed so to get it all up, you will have to remove the toilet. To do that you will need a universal joint for your ratchet and a 12-inch extension.

If you toilet is like mine, one bolt is under the flush pedal and the other is in the rear of the toilet. There is a small white cap underneath where you lift the seat. Remove it and use the extension and u joint to remove the rear bolt.

Hope this helps!!

mollerus

I replaced the carpet in the bathroom with vinyl flooring.  It looks more like a bathroom and it is easy to clean up.  Let's face it, us guys  don't have very good aim at night partially stooped over and hitting our heads on the overhead shelf.  That carpet is a sponge.  Sitting down  solves the aiming problem but it is just not the manly thing to do!  Bob

AndyIlles

I have a permanent scab from that stupid cabinet, leaning over to flush that damned knob.  I'm getting a foot-flush!!!

bigray

Andy,
You poor fella. I assumed everbody had a foot flush

mollerus

I stapled a piece of foam over the overhead cabinet edge.  The stuff with a slit in it to wrap pipes in the winter works great. I occasionallly have a sore head but no scabs now! It also eliminagted most of my cussing. I also switched to a foot flush unit made by Sea-Land corp.

AndyIlles

Got a new foot-flush put in today... and tiled the bathroom while I was at it.  Geeze... why didn't anybody TELL me to dump the black tank first, and rinse it out with bleach?!?!?!?!?   Do you have ANY idea how many paper towels it takes to block that thing???  Geeze!!!!

I still wanna know if anybody's been able to find and shoot the bastard with the staple gun!!

bigray

Got news for you cheif. Flushing the black tank doesn't help.

I used a bottle of brake fluid to cover the whole while I was ripping my carpet out to install tiling.

A couple times, I knocked it over and my oh my.........

handyman

If any of you fellows is interested go into any r/v store and they sell a complete kit for a auto flush system for the black tank it comes with a self threading fitting you predrill the hole then the fitting screws in it then attach the hose and run it out and you drill another hole in the side by your dump handel the all you do is hook up a hose and open the vavles works great and looks neat also I think I paid about $20 for the hole kit well worth the money

cheryl

Sorry, one more question. How many tiles to do the floor? Our shag is multi blue and it doesn't look so hot. I'm assuming it is original but it doesn't really seem like it would have matched the interior. The people we bought it from were second owners and did every thing inside and out red, white and blue. All the curtains and blinds are the flag print material. It's pretty crass but you wouldn't believe the thumbs up we get going down the highway. Cheryl