News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Saggy butt question

Started by AndyIlles, December 09, 2003, 10:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyIlles

Hi all.

My '76 has a saggy butt.  Anybody have experience with helper springs?  

Thanks again,
Andy

AndyIllesTwo@AOL.com

junebob

Hi!Saggy butt.You can add helper or overload springs, or have it done.Spring assisted rear shocks could help, but they are not designed as load carriers.You probably have low air pressure in your air bags, if so increase the pressure,50lbs is a good general ball park setting.If you do not for some reason have the airbags,get them.They will help compensate for weakened or sacked rear springs. In a perfect world having good springs with an air bag assistis best     Bob Chaney.

Conrad

I had a saggy butt, well my Clipper did    ...  I thought about the helper springs but since the rear springs were weakened, why not just correct the problem.  It cost more for the spring work        than adding helpers but I feel that it was worth it to get it back to original condition.  I had a local spring shop do the work.  The Right Way Spring Co. in Tacoma, WA.

AndyIlles

Hi all.

Thanks for the responses.  First of all, I don't have airbags.  I guess my question should have been where did you get helper, or original, springs? I can put them on, no prob.. but don't know what to get, or where.  I don't mind spending the money, just don't know what to spend it on.

Thanx again,
Andy

handyman

Andy if in deed your springs are the problem then you can remove them one side at a time and have them rearcked it puts them back to factory specs any spring or rear end shop should be able to help you  

AndyIlles

JuneBob, Conrad and Jim..

Thanks for your inputs.  I took her to a local spring shop yesterday and the springs had too much internal rust to re-arch.  They put brand new springs in for $150 total... and now she ain't got no saggy butt no more...  

bigray

Hi Folks,

No more saggy but 'ey Andy.

I have a little sag in my butt (79 model). I do have airbags; however, the top bracket where the airbags are mounted is angled upwards. I don't know if this is how they were installed or if excess weight bent them upwards. I'd like some feedback from those of you that have airbags. Are your airbags mounted on a flat bracket or is it angled upward like mine.

Andy, do you notice a difference in the ride with the new springs.

Let me know!!

AndyIlles

Bigay....
Let me put it this way.  People aren't flashing their brights at me all night any more... :-)

Yes, the new springs have restored it's original stance, and no more saggy butt.  The manager at the spring shop said that helper springs would have done the same thing, but the price difference between those and just getting all new springs ($40 diff, total) wasn't worth the savings. I agree.  The Clip uses a fairly standard spring, so they're a dime a dozen.

So now she's riding like new.  The price I paid also included all new spring shackles, along with spring-end thru-bolts and bushings.  So I'm sure happy with it.

Andy

bigray

Andy,

Thanks for the response. Well I'm not getting flashed at night so I guess mine aren't that bad. However, I wan't my girl to sit like she did when she came from the factory.

I'm having a hard time finding a spring shop here in Houston. I called AutoZone to see if the recommended anybody and they had no clue. I'going to check around some more.

AndyIlles

BigRay...

I found this shop in the Yellow Pages, under "Springs, Automotive".  I'm sure you've thought of that... but just in case.

Further update.  I can't really tell any difference in how it rides or handles, just that the rear very visibly sits higher, I'd guess maybe 2" just looking at the wheelwells.  The main other thing, as I've said, is that my headlights now light the road, not treetops.

bigray

No Andy, I haven't tried the trusty old Yellow Pages. But I will.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad "you got your butt up"

Take care!