News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Winter camping question

Started by AndyIlles, November 17, 2003, 11:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyIlles

Hello all.

I'd like to run my Clip out to Colorado for some skiing.  Being a Florida boy, any suggestions would be welcome.  If possible, I'd like to keep my hot water, etc. working.. does that make sense? Also... what about tires for the passes?  Are the regular duals enough, or do I need snow tires.. chains?  How do these things handle on snow/ice-covered roads?  Any advice is appreciated, thanx.
Andy

LitlC

Andy- We live in Colorado and own a clipper.  First thing is that your clipper will have a "hard time" with the mountains due to the elevation and not being jetted for it-so be prepared!  I would suggest at least snow tires and bring along a set of chains as some of the passes get pretty rough. When you do park, try to have as much gas as possible (helps in the cold) and also whatever winterizing (wrapping, insulating, etc.) you can do prior to your departure will help. If you are at a campsite with hookups keep your faucets dripping to help against freezing. Good luck and have fun skiing!

AndyIlles

Thanks for the response, LitlC

I sortta anticipated the jetting issue... any suggestions of what works for the Dodge 360?  I rebuilt the carb myself when I got this, so that's not a problem.  I've thought about spraying foam insulation on all the exposed tanks and plumbing... think that'd do the trick?  Do the water pump and fresh water tank get enough heat to keep from freezing? Good tip about keeping the faucets dripping.  My most likely destination is Winter Park, and I've talked to a couple parks up the Fraser Valley, and there are hookups.  Where's a good spot to get chains for the dualies in Denver?  I grew up in Nebraska, so know all about snow, sleet, ice on the road... and drove cars and semis on it, but not "straight trucks", which I'd liken my Clip to, and don't know what handling to expect from it on slick roads... any help there?  Also, is the standard gas furnace in the Clip adequate, or should I get some space heaters?

Once again, this is a GREAT site!!

Thanx again... Andy

bigray

Hi Andy,

I'm about to purchase a 79 Clipper that has 440 (I think). I'm not sure about the carb size but was wondering what I needed to do to ensure that I would not have problems in the mountains.

BigRay!!