News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Carburator / Cruse Control / Gas Tank

Started by Shastab1, January 26, 2002, 01:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shastab1

Have '78 Dodge 440 with A/C.
1. Am replacing Carb., what's the best replacement?  My mechanic suggest Eddlebrock[sp].
2. Cruse never worked, what's best after market replacement?
3. Read where gas tank should be 50 gal.with above specs. Last time filled up took 30 gal. before gas started spilling out.[plastic tank]
Any help appreciated.
John Beeson /Shastab1@aol.com

junebob

To John #2874-Carburator.There is no carb that will work as well on your rig as the standard Thermo-quid that it came with,when it is working properly.Also the about $300.00 to $350.00 dollars cost to R&R and totally rebuild the Thermoquid carb is at least $100.00 less than the purchase price only of the suggested replacements.The installation will bring the price in the $500.00+ area.There has been Several confirmed shops listed on the web sight and in the news letters that will properly Totally rebuild and R&R your Quid.Feel free to contact me at slobnj@pacifier.com if you cannot find the shops recommended. If you have the plastic gas tank it is the 30/35 gallon unit. The 50 gallon gas tank is steel.Bob Chaqney #2626

Richard Peterson

Bob Chaney is right about the thermoquad carburator,  it works just fine if it is properly taken care of.  I rebuilt mine myself on an 77 440 and it couldn't run any better.  Total cost was under $20 for a kit.  I also had a book which I got from J.C. Whitney which had some good information on Carter carbs.  One thing I have found is the mounting nuts have a way of loosening up and need to be tightned now and then to prevent vacuum leaks.  It is also a good idea to replace all vacuum hoses while your at it.

Richard Peterson