News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

is it safe to run your refrigerator on propane while driving

Started by bobsled, October 14, 2002, 05:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobsled

My girlfriend is concerned about this. Also, how about during refueling? Not a good practice? btw, thanks for your input on the leaded gasoline question.

handyman

when your on the road or in a camp site where theres no a/c hook up you use propane. always and I mean always when you stop for gas shut off everthing thats useing propane ref hot water what ever and then dont relite untill youv driven a mile or so, so the gas fumes can be blown away from under the rig

LarryAlida

You should NEVER travel with the propane turned on.Turn it off at the tank.Any number of things could happen to cause it to leak.

HPotter

Travelling with propane on or off is a hot topic. A few Clippers were equipped with 3-way refrigerators that could be operated on 12 volts under way, but the majority of them had only propane or 115 volt operation. If you shut off your propane while travelling, especially in hot weather, the refer is going to get warm inside very soon. We have left ours on propane on the road for almost 60,000 miles with no problems. If the pilot goes out the gas is automatically shut off. But it definitely should be off when refueling. A lot of service stations require this. The water heater might as well be shut off on the road, because the pilot will immediately blow out anyway.

Harold. ACOC 886

Conrad

If the propane line is parted due to an accident or road debris, the vented gas can/will fuel a fire.  We turn on the fridge one or two days before we leave, travel with the fridge off (door closed as much as possible), and re-light when we get to an overnight spot.  Besides, what if you forget to turn off the propane when you refuel?  It doesn't take much time to be a bit on the safe side.  

Shayne

Does anyone know what the current draw is for the AC side of the fridge?  Close guess anyway?  Wondering if putting a small inverter just to run the fridge while traveling would work.
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

lisa bergman

To solve the problem of the fridge getting warm while underway.  We use 2 large Ice cubes, the plastic refreezealbe kind, put them in the freezer overnight at stops keeps fridge cold all day.  Hopefully you have a freezer.  I searched all over till I found a clipper with one in it.

handyman

I was reading all the mail on this and Id like to no I have a three way how good do they work on 12 volt while under way seems like this would be best