News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

"Book Value" for a '76 Clipper

Started by w6142, December 19, 2002, 03:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

w6142

I need to register my '76 American Clipper in Washington State. They need me to provide the current value of the vehicle to determine the cost of registration. Does anybody have a general estimate of the Clipper's 'book value?'

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tom

Conrad

The lower the book value the lower the registration fees?  Are Motorhomes excluded from our recent lowered registration initiative that was passed?  ( $30 fee )

Shayne

If they base registration fees on value, don't get too proud of your Clipper  

Tell them $100  
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

LarryAlida

Conrad.I paid 60.00 for tabs in Oct.for our 77. That includes the agency fees ect. Larry.

LarryAlida

Tom.Call some license agency and see what they base the charges on.Sales tax,Excise tax? I'm not sure. I kept my value within reason.Ours was already reg.in Wa.state. I think they have a tonnage fee also.Some of this is only a one time thing.Plus you might have to take it for an emmissions check.Depending on where you live,and the year of your rig. I had to get the check when we bought it.And again a year later.That fee is $12 or $15. Larry.

w6142

The registration fees add up thusly (as explained by a DOL employee:
Registration Fee      $35.00
Out-of-State Transfer: 32.50
Sales Tax on Value:  $156.00(based on a $2000                        value, times .078)

w6142

The registration fees add up thusly (as explained by a DOL employee, based on a $2000 value, and a tax rate of 7.8%):

Registration Fee:     $35.00
Out-of-State Transfer: 32.50
Sales Tax on Value:   156.00
Total:               $223.50

I don't pretend to understand what the transfer fees and sales tax are for. I'm not buying the Clipper, I'm just moving it into Washington. I guess they have to get you any way they can....

Sally Ann Healy

That's exactly it. When it's been registered in another state & moved to Wash., you get charged the excise tax just the same as if a person buys a new  rig in state.  I was taxed on my MPV for 80 % of the new purchase price when I bought it 5 yrs. before in Ore.!!  There is no excise tax on pickups (mine has an Ore. farm plate).  So, they wanted to charge me over $400 excise on my 1976 Clipper (based on $4,000 value).  I drive it so little right now, I just get 3 day trip permits for a long weekend.  SAH