News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

What kind of gasoline should I use?

Started by bobsled, October 11, 2002, 01:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobsled

We recently purchased a 1977 rear kitchen/rear bath American Clipper with a 440 engine. Inside the pantry there is a warning about using regular leaded gasoline. Here in California that is impossible, of course. Is it all right to use regular unleaded gasoline? Will it hurt the engine? What about lead additives? We really love the coach and are looking forward to joining the club and attending your rallies as we are both retired now. Appreciate any help on this. Thank you.

junebob

BOBSLED #250
I have been using unleaded {of course] regular gas in our 79 Clipper for over 60,000 miles now. and it has always been fine except once. On that occasion I had my rig tuned up at  a shop that wouldn't know the word MOPAR from a candy bar. They advanced my timing to far, so it pinged on any kind of a pull until I got it back to our regular mechanic. Who adjusted the timing back to where it belonged. Bob #2626

handyman

I'm confused I thought I read a while ago that all 440 had to use premeum fuel with lead substatute My clipper wont be ready for the road for another year but if they use regular that would sure save some money Bob does your 79 have the new valve seats that makes a difference also please anyone let me know  

Conrad

My two-bits... I too was concerned about the leaded fuel recommendation when I puchaced my clipper.  I have been informed that the lead additive needed to be used so that the valve seats would not burn out.  So  during a lifter replacement job, I pulled the heads and had them examined and rebuilt.  The valve seats were hardened which is what is needed for un-leaded gas.  The rebuild shop did everything else that they do for head re-builds and I have over 10,000 miles with no problems.  Hardened seats means uleaded is ok.

cat

I've used unleaded for over 40,000 miles with no problems.

junebob

If your chassis is a 1978 or later.I am  positive you have the hardened valve seats    ,which stand up to unleaded fuel. In my experience and opinion adding a so called "lead additive" to your fuel is a waste of your time and your money         .I have heard from and know of club members that had 77 clippers. That means both 76 and 77 chassis that also had the hardened valve seats. Check your back news letter index and file. With a little searching and reading you should get all the information directly from the members who lived it    .Good luck Bob

handyman

I dont have the back issues yet does anyone know for sure does the 77 clippers have the hardened seats or not I really need to know before we get this beast on the road after all this work to get it back into shape mine is the 440 what do the rest of the club members that have 76 and 77 models run regular or premeume?