News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Engine Fire

Started by pdxpfeifer, September 23, 2018, 12:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxpfeifer

Not sure where to put this.... we had a metal clicking sound while driving yesterday. Almost sounded like a seat belt metal buckle occasionally tapping outside of the vehicle. We think the sound stopped when turning off the headlights? We were driving during the daytime, but had headlights on for safety. 

We got to our destination and let the RV sit an hour or so. Engine temp was good everything seemed fine. Went to start it and as usual it takes about 2-3 times to get he engine to turn over.  On the second start we smelled and started to see smoke from the dash board. 

We jumped out of the RV and my husband started ripping off bicycles from the from hood mounted rack and I grabbed the fire  extinguisher from back door.  We had lots of smoke and flames in the top left hand side about a foot high. I immediately hit the entire engine with the Fire extinguisher which is the smaller one I think the class bees? It?s the type that he was on boats. And put the flames out. 

After much drama and
Stress and darkness we camped where we were and I opened the RV hood This morning.  It was electrical. And the engine seems in tact.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i4Wr5sA5ukJnaakr9

Can anyone identify this electrical  component, plug that runs into the wall near the glovebox? The  cigarette lighter and the glove box light her still work  and radio still work overhead lights to work.  [
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

Toedtoes

That had to have been scary as...

I don't recognize that part from my prior engine troubles.  Can you trace any of the wires anywhere?
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

pdxpfeifer

Clipper Joe says it is the ignition module and there is probably a short in the ignition system somewhere. He also said to check the Ballast Register - which I think is the burnt one to the right of the main part I took the photo of.....  Nina the Clipper was towed back into town and is at a shop that I trust the guys, they are expensive, but I trust them :)

I am happy we had the fire extinguisher. I keep one over the door and a small handheld behind the seat, but when you started seeing and smelling smoke, knowing you have a full tank of propane - it was scary as hell!

My two elementary school boys were lounging in the overhead bed on their iPads as it was about 50 and raining outside. The kids can't always hear you when they are up there and you are in the cab and I just started yelling at them "get out! This is not a drill" and they were complaining they didn't have shoes on and I was "don't care this is an emergency!!"  But, they left the electronics, grabbed the dog, ran away from the RV and stood in the rain cold as all the people in the parking lot looked at us dumbfounded because they didn't know what was going on - until they saw us lift the hatch and the fire going. LOL, one woman even came by and was like "You have an engine fire, do you need help?" I just yelled back "don't know yet - I am a little busy right now!" as I blasted the engine :)

SO HERE ARE HISTORICAL NOTES I HAVE PULLED FROM THE OLD CHATS ABOUT FIRST EXTINGUISHERS AND ENGINE FIRES.
Most have been posted by the wonderful Mr. Clipper Joe :)

Fire Extinguishers:
I Have A 2 1/2 Lb Fire Extinguisher Above Entry Door and in closet, & Keep A 5 Lb ABC Behind Driver Seat.
Just Incase.

Fire Exstinghser Plug Hole -  in Dog House
I removed the ashtray and drilled a 1/2 or 3/4 inch hole in it the went to home depot. Got a steel insert and "Plug" to cover the hole. Then replaced the ashtray. If I do have an engine fire I can remove the ashtray and stick the end of the fire extinguisher in the hole and pull the trigger.  *** note - check your fire extinguisher nozzle size and ability to get metal plugs before drilling :)

Check Fule Lines and Filters Once a Year
Clipper Joe has a post about checking the rubber bits and lines of the TWO fuel filters at least once a year because they can dry out and or rot causing fuel to leak and a potential fire.

Info about ultimate parts list --- becausease it has the part numbers for the electonics of mine that melted in the engine fire:

Somewhere on this forum is the ultimate "spare parts" must have list.
I carry a coil, ballast resistor, ECU, distributor cap and rotor, spare spark plug wires, plugs, bulbs, various gauges of wire, fuses, fuel filter, fuel line, clamps, clips, plumbing nicknacks, duct tape, silicone, sealant tape, screws, nuts and bolts, surgical gloves, first aid kits, coolant, oil, a bottle of BarsLeaks, brake fluid, trans fluid, JB Weld, various lubricants, bungee cords, rope, extension cord, axe, shovel, machete, tents, sleeping bags, lamps, food, water,

Ignition Control Module - looks used Box says it's a 2-3000, but the module has printed on it 3874020   2156.  Voltage Regulator VR-38, appears used.  Ignition Resistor Napa PN: ICR 24.  Ballast Resistor CARQUEST PN: RU-12.  160-degree CARQUEST Thermostat PN: 30236 (on the box) PN: 30036 stamped on the unit.  Circuit Breaker - CARQUEST PN: BR20.  1 Used Rotor - Clean in Baggie.  1 ea Radiator Cap NAPA PN: 503-1420 used.  Ignition Coil CARQUEST PN: US12X  USED.  Dimmer Switch - NAPA DS 112 New.  Voltage Regulator  NAPA PN: UR38SB New.  Distributor Cap & Rotor in MIGHTY Box with PN: 2-301HP.  Headlight Switch - NAPA PN: HL6571  Looks used.  Box of Zerk Grease Fittings.  Oil Pressure Switch NAPA PN: OP6603 New.  Hose Clamps Size 4 qty: 5 ea.  AC 40 AMP Circuit Breaker.  PVC Pipe Cement. Quick Steel Repair Bond.  Rubber Cement Tube.  Asstd Screws, Fittings, latches.  Electrical Connectors.
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

Clipper Joe

Hello,
Have Been Alittle Busy,
So Sorry For Not Being On Clipper Foroum,
Want To Thank Pdxpfeifer, The Info Is Greatly Needed,
So Thanks For Your Thread, & Sorry For Your Fire Lost.
You Will Get Your Clipper Back On The Road & Camping Again.

I Like The Part Of Post About On How To Get Nozzle Into Dog House
Via, Back Of Ash Tray.

I Have Read Post Of People Adding A Fire Extinguishinng Systems, Using A Large Unit Under On Frame
And Pipes & Nozzles In Dog.

Let Us Know How You Make Out, Hope Not To Much $$$.

Thanks Again For Info & Good Luck ;)  ;)
Clipper Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher