News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

How to replace a your AC, stereo, and add a generator for under $150

Started by Horst, June 13, 2009, 07:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horst

Here's a little mod that might help poor Clipper owners like me.
But first -  a list of my Clipper short-comings, and thus,  why this mod worked GREAT for us:
1) I have no generator
2) My cab AC is totally dead with parts missing (was that way when I purchased it 12 years ago - and I decided it wasn't worth the expense of replacing it given it never gets too hot here)
3) The stereo in my Clipper is old and a bit funky.

Here's my poor man's mod:
I had a dead/broken lamp in the dining area  - the one directly behind the driver - and I decided that was the 12 volt wiring lead I would use to start my mod.
1) I purchased a three-receptacle 12 volt outlet and wired/mounted where the lamp was
2) I purchased a 150 watt inverter from Radio Shack (you may want to go to 250 watt)
3) I purchased a 12 volt fan from Camping World (Fan-Tastic Endless Breeze)
4) I already owned a nice "boombox" stereo - a smaller unit, but with great sound and features.

First I split the wiring on the fan and added 10 feet to it (no problems there) - then a bought a few adapters to expand the capabilities of the inverter

End-result:
1) We  use the fan in the Clipper, makes the cab much more enjoyable when it does get hot, especially when camping with no shore power
2) Kids can watch movies while we're on the road at night
3) We can now listen to our boombox while driving without eating up batteries (it's nice because it has a remote, CD player, etc.)
4) No more "problems" due to dead cell phones, laptops, or iPods............everyone can charge all their toys whenever.

Horst

Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

I would love to see the diagram for this project!!!!!!!

I would be willing to hook up a fridge to that inverter if it works!!!!!!!

John

John Eversoll

Horst!!!!!   get me the diagram, I want to run this in my rig

John

Horst

Diagram?
No diagram needed really - this is LOW tech my friend.
I'll post some pictures if I get the time.
1) Just wire the 3 receptacle 12 volt outlet on the wall behind the driver's seat (you may have to sacrifice a lamp - mine was broken, which is why I chose that spot - that and the fact that it was a lamp that never got used much anyways. Or, you can put this anywhere you have 12 volt leads. The wiring is easy - even for an electrical dunce like me.
2) Then plug in your inverter to one of the receptacles, and you have power (how much depends on the size of your inverter). Now for charging laptops, phones and iPods, it's fine to run the inverter as is with the Clipper off. But if you want to run something like a fridge??? or a larger TV - I'd only do that with the Clipper running, and be sure to check how many watts your fridge, or other appliance will draw - a 250 watt inverter most likely will only be able to sustain a 200 watt or so continuous draw. (Lots of inverters out there - buy what you need.)

So my TRAVEL set-up looks goes like this:
Inverter plugged into 12 volt receptacle, and sits on the backrest, in the corner of the dinette. (No need to mount it - it sits there perfectly, like it was meant to!) I have a three prong outlet (splitter) plugged into the inverter. My Fan-Tastic Endless Breeze fan is plugged into the 12 volt receptacle as well, and is positioned in various spots in the clipper (the 10 foot extension lets us put it almost anywhere). My boombox is plugged into the inverter "splitter", as is my smaller color TV (which has headphone jacks on the front.)
The TV is mounted on the wall on the other end of the dinnette (next to the closet, just under the overhead cabinet.) Boombox sits on the floor between the wife and I and faces forward. Wiring is tucked along the backrest of the dinnette, or under the dinette, etc.

End result (as noted above)
Kids watching a movie(with headphones), we're listening to music, invariably there's an ipod or a phone also charging off the inverter.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

You are the Master, I am the DUNCE.... I will ask my B in law to follow your steps!! I got lost after inverter....

Mechanicly I am great, But when you star mentioning wire this to that ....Well...

I am lost in a round room....I am goingto get it done though!!! Thanks Horst!!!!!!!!
John

John Eversoll

Hi there bro, I was at Wall Mart  today and saw a 750 watt power inverter.

Is this too Much or does it matter?? Cuz I think I may just use a New Electric fridge

and thought I bbetter ask you first// John

Horst

guess you didn't read my second post - I AM an electrical dunce! - seriously.
I couldn't answer that question - but it may be too much for the stock wires?? don't know - but if you run 300-400watts of continuous draw on your coach battery while the Clipper is not runniing??? - your coach battery would run down pretty quickly I'd imagine.
But if you have a slick solar panel set-up, with a real powerful inverter and two powerfull deep cell batteries to store all the juice your collecting, and yada yada - then that's something else again.

I just wish I had time to study up on electrical stuff - cause I'd like to set up a slick system for my Clipper with solar, multiple batteries, powerful inverter, etc. People do it all the time - and can easily run almost anything (except AC) strictly off their batteries/ inverter/solar systems - and be pretty much self sufficient.

Someday I'll do it.............or buy a rig that already has it! ;)
Horst
ACOC  #2961

mccammonds

I installed the following "stuff" on my rig. 

240 watts of solar  panels
40  amp controller
3000 watt inverter
485 amps of batteries.

Most folks don't need that much of a solar system but we were full time RVers for some time.  Had plenty of power. 

Will talk anyone through it if y'all want instructions.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

Horst

sweet!! That's what I'll set up some day - or something similar.
Horst
ACOC  #2961

John Eversoll

Mccammonds;  I re read posts and try to configure out the goings on and how tos'
in the post about thepower inverter I am going to put in a Brand New Electric fridge.
What size of power inverter should I get to run this fridge?? My rig is down right nowand am going to replace "all the panneling so if running wires is in the project the this will be easy.  But I have no idea how and where to start. "Horst is the instigator" I say that with a smile Horst!!! if you are reading this..
This sounds like something that I would like to try.  It might help when I go to sell the Clipper.
That well be sometime down the road but not now.
The more improvements I can make in the rig the better it will be.  Thanks !!  John E.

zaharia

Remember that a inverter that is over 150 watts should be wired directly to your battery terminals (or clamps for temp use) as the draw is too much for the standard 12 volt wiring to handle. You should use 6 guage wire and also need to ground the inverter. The inverters that are < 150 watts can be plugged into the cigarette lighter recepticle as the wiring used there is heavy enough for less than 150 watts.

Horst

Horst
ACOC  #2961