News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Tire Pressure Monitors

Started by Toedtoes, February 20, 2017, 10:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

OK, I admit it.  I'm terrible at checking the actual pressure in my tires.  I notice if one looks low, etc., but I'm terrible about getting out the gauge and manually checking.  In addition, I don't have extenders on my inner rears, so I can't check them.

So, I went ahead and bought into a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for my clipper.

For the rear duallies, I bought these Cat's Eyes Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System:  http://www.stengelbros.net/6075AH00-Cats-Eyes-Dual-Tire-Pressure-Equalization-System-12-Stainless-Steel-Hoses-2-UNIT-PACK-75psi_p_7027.html

They are more expensive than the Crossfire brand you can find on Amazon, but their visual inspection is so simple that I could see without my glasses and without bending over (we have them on the big rig carrier trailer at work).  Which means, I can easily see if something is wrong as I'm pumping gas, sitting in the campsite, lighting the water heater pilot light, turning on the propane, etc.  They also have a safety valve check that prevents both tires from going flat if one tire goes bad - they equalize under normal circumstances, but if the air goes too low too fast, it locks the other tire out so it stays inflated. Oh, and I can add air to both duallies at one time!

For the front tires, I went simple with the Gozen's 75psi Tire Pressure Monitor Valve Stem Cap Tyre Sensor Indicator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HRIKSLS/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487613404&sr=sr-1&keywords=tire+pressure+valve+cap

I'll set my front tires at 70 psi, but by going with the 75psi caps, I'll get warned of low pressure earlier on than if I tried to find an actual 70psi valve cap.

I am waiting for the Cat's Eyes to arrive.  When they do, America's Tire will install them.  They will also install the steel valves on the tires at the same time, check the tires, and properly inflate them.  I will post again once they are installed with the actual cost for that, and I will post again after I've used them a few times.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754