News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Original rims and problems with Valve Stems

Started by jbtbbrewer, June 24, 2016, 07:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbtbbrewer

Ok.. 1st lesson learned and noted :
Don't buy tires from China and Walmart. We found 16" tires cheap on Walmart.com and was having the local Walmart install them. We have the original rims and read that the 16" would work. We are on a tight budget and went with those. Walmart Tire Center immediately had trouble getting a bead on any of the tires .. didn't tell us that they couldn't get a valve stem to fit so they put tar around it and got two tires mounted. On the 3rd tire I was standing out at the tire bay and the guy was airing it up and it exploded and blew into the air about 20 feet. everyone was stunned, but the tech was not hurt ( Thankfully!!!)  The sidewall blew out, tech says at 55psi.... I'm not so sure but at last he's ok. The manager instantly expressed apologies and issued a refund on all tires fearing they were defective. So we leave there with rims and no tires.
Fast forward to this forum where I got the tip on Firestone Transforce HT 8.75r 16.5 115r  tires... found them, biught them and now the Firestone Tire place is having trouble with getting a valve stem to work. I requested High pressure stems and none will work even after they ordered some in today. They want to put in larger trailer valve stems but they are not high pressure.. what do you all think?

Toedtoes

On other RV forums, I've heard a lot of horror stories about cheap tires.  Stay away from off-brand tires.  It's especially important with RV  tires because the usage is different from regular vehicles.  On a regular vehicle, the tire will wear out the tread before the rubber deteriorates.  With an RV, you will likely never wear out the tread.  What that means with cheap tires is that on an RV, the rubber (and everything else) will deteriorate even faster - and you will be unaware because the tire "looks" good and has tread.

I have the Firestone.  I don't have any special stems in them.  The shop didn't have any extra long stems to fit at the time, so I decided to wait on that - I'll take it into an American Tire shop to air up when needed.  I think you should be fine either way.

One thing you might want to get (now that you've seen the damage a blown tire can do), is get a laser infrared temperature gun.  One of the unseen dangers of tires is overheating.  If you're taking a long trip, driving in hot weather, etc., you can quickly do a check on all your tires and make sure they are all within the same temp reading.  If one tire is significantly hotter than the others, then you have a problem and can get to a tire shop asap - before you head back down the road and have a blow out.  You can get them cheap - under $20 (check for sales at harbor freight, etc.).
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello Jbtb Brewer,
Just Wanted To Add My 2 Cent, You Are Carrying A lot Of Wieght With Clipper Rig. So Remember Your Life & Others are In You Hands To Make Your RV Safe Going Down The Road. Also Tire Sixes Are Rated By GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight)
So Per Tire X4  2500 Lbs. = 10,000 Lbs. The Valve Stems That Are Rubber Are Rated In PSI (Pounds Per Sq. Inch) Most Are Rated @ 60-70 PSI, The Metal Or Brass Stems Are Rated @ 70-100 PSI.

They Can Be Bought @ Napa Auto & Les Schwab Tire. Do Not Buy The Real Long Stems, They Can Get Caught On A Rock & Break Off. They Have Also A Straight Ones & Slight Off Set Ones. Napa Dealer Can Help You With These.

If You Get Them On Line Stay Away From Imported Ones Like China Etc.

I Have One Question Are Your Rims 16". Or The Standard Coin Style Orig. 16.5" ???

Some Import 16" Rims Have A Larger Base Rubber, But Most High Presssure Stems Come With Both Style.. ;)

Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Clipper Joe

Hello Toedtoes,
Well Said, Do Not Go Cheap On Tires & Rims.  :-[ :-[
These Clippers Are Heavy & Even Heavier When Loaded. Like Some Of Us Pack Rats, Who Take More Than We Will Ever Need, Or Enough For A Month Long RV Trip. Ha. ;D

I Would Use The Firestone Transforce If You Have Standard 8.75x 16.5 Budd Coin Rims.

If You Change To 16"  Rims. I Would Use Michlens LTX Ms2 LT225/75 R16 They Have A High GVW & A 70,000 Mile Warranty.. I Get Great Service With These & Are Avail At Most Tire Shops.

Joe
ACOC#3749

jbtbbrewer

We found the Firestone Transforce on line for 139.00 each and free shipping on Amazon. I had the idea that a local Firestone Point of Sale could probably beat it. I called around to each of the Firestones locally and found one that would do six tires for 946.42 out the door and a $60 mail in rebate. They actually gave us a $41.00 credit because they couldn't balance three tires. ( Final price was $845.42) I'm not sure how that's going to effect the structure. ( We realized that when we pulled the diver side tires , none of those were balanced either... so we know she got here with those) She was meant to be here ... no doubt about that. We got all of the tires back on a few minutes ago and it's getting dark here ... so maiden voyage in the morning.... all the way to the end of the street :)

We actually found a great stem and bought them to take to Firestone same .625 stems but rated higher.... go there and the place it was to seal was just shy. You could push the stem one way or other and it seeped air. The tech didn't feel confident putting glue or tar around it as Walmart did. He said it wasn't safe and recommended the lower rated stem because it sealed tight. The valve stems they ultimately put on was the larger trailer tire that is rated @65 PSI. They tested the tire with the stem up to 100psi and everything held.

We ultimately need new rims. We do have the 16.5 and after the blown cheap tire accident in the tire bay at Walmart , we decided to put on what the design intended.

We still need to find and fix two leaks over the Cab bunk and need to have the propane smoked and find out if and what we can do to have that system up and running. Other than that Clara is good to go. We can go camping with out the propane working... we can always take cold showers and cook outside... which is better in this Alabama heat anyway. The priority is the leaks... we thought we had them but there are two tiny ones some where.

Toedtoes

Always check online for tire prices before going in to the local shops - most will be willing to at least match the online price.  Good job on that - $950 for all six is a GREAT deal.

On the  leaks, one place to check that gets missed is on the windows.  The grey/black rubber trim that sits along the edge of the window gets old and shrinks.  When it shrinks, it creates a gap on the inside edge of the trim, so that when water hits the window and runs down, it goes under the trim and into the window casing.  I had that with my back window - found water inside the metal framing on the inside of the window - took me forever to figure it out.  If that's where it's leaking, your proper job is to replace the trim.  I have the trim but have never gotten around to replacing it, so I just siliconed all the inside corners on the windows.  Made sure there was no empty space between the trim and the window glass.

On the propane, if there are any leaks, you can bypass specific areas.  I have a leak in the propane line going into the heater - so I had them close it off before that leak.  I didn't plan on using the heater anyway so it saved me the cost of repairing something I don't use.

Toedtoes

Quote from: Clipper Joe on June 24, 2016, 05:21:57 PM
Hello Toedtoes,
Well Said, Do Not Go Cheap On Tires & Rims.  :-[ :-[
These Clippers Are Heavy & Even Heavier When Loaded. Like Some Of Us Pack Rats, Who Take More Than We Will Ever Need, Or Enough For A Month Long RV Trip. Ha. ;D

I Would Use The Firestone Transforce If You Have Standard 8.75x 16.5 Budd Coin Rims.

If You Change To 16"  Rims. I Would Use Michlens LTX Ms2 LT225/75 R16 They Have A High GVW & A 70,000 Mile Warranty.. I Get Great Service With These & Are Avail At Most Tire Shops.

Joe

Ha!  I'm going to post your photo as the poster child for overpacking.   :o

jbtbbrewer

I would probably be in the running for over packing. I have things in every corner I can find. You never know, right Clipper Joe?

Toedtoes

I have been following the rule:  if it hasn't been used in the past year, out it goes.  There are some exceptions - I have more towels than I really need, but I excuse that due to the dogs as you just never know what they will get into; and I have about a million flashlights and lanterns (I am trying to give some away).  And I don't count emergency supplies and tools in the rule.

Now Clipper Joe is in a category all by himself.  He carries emergency supplies that won't work for his clipper - because some stranger on the road might need it....   For a 4 day trip, he brings an entire meat department...  I suspect if he weighed his clipper fully loaded it would come in at over 20K lbs.   :o

Clipper Joe

Hello jbtbbrewer,
I Have 5 Orig 16.5 Tires Dunlop & Rims I Took Off My Clipper When I Went To 16"
Michlens.
I Also Have A 16.5 Rim With No Tire On It.
What State Did You Live In.
Maybe We Can Work Something Out.
PM Me With Your Contact Info.
Joe
ACOC#3749

Clipper Joe

Toedtoes,
You Are Right, I'll Have To Roll On Scales & See What Wilson Weight Is Loaded, With Water, Fuel, & Food.
I Just Wonder What If. Do Not Trust Those Tow Guys. AAA & Good Sam,
Use To Fin For Myself. ;)

Joe
ACOC#3749

jbtbbrewer

:) @Toedtoes.
ClipperJoe.. what on earth do you carry for other folks?

We have Clara stocked as a life line right now. We are in hurricane prone area. So if we have to bug out she's going with us fully stocked to live in for an extended period of time. That's why it was super  important to get her new shoes :)

Clipper Joe

Hello,
Do Not Get Me Wrong About Over Stocking.
I Have Extra Towels, Water, Sleeping Bags, Wipes, Toilet Chem Etc. Transfer Pump, For Water & Fuel.
Some Extra Fuses, & Elect. Parts, Also Extra Fan Belts & Radiator Hoses, Coolant, Oil For Generator & 440 Engine Just 1 Qt. Duck Tape, BBQ Grill Outside Chairs, Extra Toilet Paper & Paper Towels & Plates.
24" LED TV In Protective Padded  Bag.

Most Of This Stuff Is Up In File Boxes In Top Bunk Area, I'm To Old To Get Up There, & Have Made Up A King Size Bunk Down Below, A lot More Comfortable.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

If the sleeping bags are extra and haven't been pulled out during the past 2 years - then they can go bye bye. :)  If they are what you actually sleep in, then they are OK.  I will admit that I have "extra" bedding come to think of it - I have 4 nice faux fur throw blankets plus sheets, blanket and comforter for the cabover bunk and the couch (the couch bedding is rarely used).  I DO USE the throw blankets - in the evening while reading on the couch, at night as extra warmth, even when sitting out by a campfire.  OK, I don't use them all at one time, but I rotate them for each trip so they all get used.

Water - I know a lot of folks carry extra water.  I say "NO".  Instead, carry a water filter (britta, etc.) and use the water at the RV Park/campground along with always filling your fresh water tank (why have it if you don't use it).  All those bottles of water are just taking up space - a nice britta filter will give you better tasting water and take up less room and weight.  And you won't be filling up the landfills.   After my kidney stone ordeal, I have taken to drinking water (I use the flavored water drops).  I got myself a few of those Bubba mugs/cups/kegs - 24, 32 and 56 oz.  I put 2 in the clipper.  I fill one and stick it in the fridge while I'm drinking from the other.  When I finish one, I refill it, put it in the fridge and pull out the other.  I always have cold flavored water no matter how much I drink and I don't have to store a case or more of water bottles.

Most staples (paper towels, toilet paper, canned foods, and so on), I keep enough on hand to get through 2 trips.  After each trip, I refill what I used.  That keeps the weight and storage mass down but I don't worry about running out in the middle of a trip.  This seems to work well.