News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Load Rating for Tires

Started by jbtbbrewer, June 02, 2016, 11:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbtbbrewer

We're in a position, finally, to get a set of new tires for Clara. :)
Trouble is ... which ones. The rims have been changed out to 16" , so options are abundant.  My question is what is the minimum weight rating each tire should be? I've read that dry weight for the Clippers are 7200 lbs. I found Hankook DynaPro ATm Tires P225/75R16Xl. They are rated at 2000lbs each. Want to tap into to your wisdom and see what worked best for everyone.
Thanks!

Toedtoes

I have not seen an established dry weight for the clippers.  And with many RVs, the dry weight is before they add things like fridges. And of course, then you add all your stuff, fresh water, etc. and your weight can double.

What I would recommend doing is to take your clipper, fully loaded, to a scale and have it weighed.  Then buy tires that can handle the full load.  Why guestimate what you need when a quick weigh can tell you exactly what you need - and you'll know if you've overloaded the GVWR of the clipper at the same time.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello,
That's A Great Idea To Get The Loaded GVWR Of Your Clipper.

There Are Some Other Factors On 16" Tires.
I Have Found Most Lower Class Imported Tires, Have A Less GVWR Rating. ???
Have Found That The Ply Rating E Rated
The Size You Mention I Would Go With Michelins
LTX MS2 They Come With A Great Warranty. Little Pricey But Well Worth Price, For Your Safety.

I Got Mine @ American Tire, They Will Also Match Tire Rack Price.

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

jbtbbrewer

Correction to this post- we do not have 16" rims. They are the originals.

Toedtoes

If you have the 16.5 rims, then your options are pretty limited to Firestone Transforce HT.  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=8.75&ratio=0&diameter=16.5&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All

They aren't cheap, but they are E load which is preferred for RVs.  They also have a speed rating of 106mph, so you will be well below their limit on that.

I did buy them through Tire Rack, but when I got to the local shop for installation, they told me they would match TireRack's price and would order them directly (1-2 day delivery time).  So, talk to your local shops after getting some prices online and see if someone will beat or meet the online price.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754