News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Repair house inside questions for leaks & Bed replacement

Started by pdxpfeifer, February 27, 2016, 08:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxpfeifer

Hi Everyone -
Thought I would post for some help on winter damages. We had rain get into the vent to the refrigerator area, it was pooling in that area where the overhead cab area dips down. I saw something from a few years back on a cheap fix to keep water from pooling, but only the reference to it and not what the person actually did.

Water Pooling and Damage
1. Best way to drain water, prevent pooling? I don't have a way to house RV and the small tarp kept blowing off and looked trashy :)
2. Best way to repair the damage, the thin panel above the microwave area is now paper thin and warped with wrinkles.
3. Replace with paneling or another kind of wood?

Overhead Bed Repair
1. I want to pull the wood where the bed lays, I found damage in the corner from previous owner and it smells musty to me. If I replace the insulation on the front wall (where that 6 foot think wood covered in fabric is), I pulled that and want to replace insulation. What insulation do i use what's best?

2. I have a large piece of foam for the current bed there, smells musty. I have no idea how old it is, but want to do new bed up there. Suggestions, I am up there and my youngest son who's 5. Occasionally hubby and I get to sleep together :). I was having a hard time searching archives. I measured the dimension 87 x 48 wide?  I would like to do something comfortable but not outrageous in price. We have been currently doing a feather bed on top of the foam, but I don't want mold smell in the RV, hubby and littlest one have sensitivity.

Ceiling in bathroom in cabinet area - needs to be replace. The ceiling of the RV was completely redone maybe 4-5 years ago, looks great. But I had found my towels in RV that  I roll up in that storage cubby damp, thought it was a fluke, I take the towels out when we aren't camping. Today I stuck my hand THROUGH the ceiling in that cubby area :(

So again, I need best way to pull insulation out of that area and fix insulation and small ceiling area.
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

Toedtoes

I'm sure Clipper Joe will be along to answer about the insulation...

For the pooling water, the easiest solution is to park the RV on a slight angle. 

If you're going to run the fridge while the RV is parked, then you want to keep the angle no more than 3 degrees (for the fridge side to side) and no more than 6 degrees (for the fridge front to back).  As the clipper fridges are on the side of the RV, that means you can have the left or right side of the clipper up to 6 degrees lower than the other side - allowing the water to run off the side of the roof.

It sounds like you may still have a roof leak problem if your towels are damp OR you have a lot of humidity in the RV.  You can try some Damp-eze (Clipper Joe says it works well) to keep things dry.  Also, check your windows - I had a leak I couldn't identify, it ended up that rain was hitting and sliding down the rear window.  The rubber trim around the window had shrunk and separated so that water was dripping between the trim and the glass and getting inside the wall.  For a temporary fix, I ran silicone along the inside edge of the trim on all windows.  I have new trim to install, just haven't done it yet.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754