News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

I bought a Clipper

Started by banjojambo, October 13, 2015, 06:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

banjojambo

yep

Clipper Joe

Hi
What Size Thermostat Are You Using?
I Have Also Had A Heating Problem On My 440 Dodge
Now Using High Performance large Opening 160 Degree Thermostat & Have 4 Core Brass/Copper Radiator, Use Severe Duty Fan Clutch, Seemed To Fix Problem.
I Added A Hayden Radiator Mist Unit.
Mounted It By LPG Tank, Holds About 1 Gallon Water, Has A Small Pump That Sprays Four Jets Of Water When Temp. Rises, Stop & Go Traffic Or Climbing Large Grades, Works Great.

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

banjojambo

The mechanic said he put the 160 degree therm in - I mad a run yesterday up the mountain the first time i added octane booster and sea-foam to the tank and it did not overheat ---yesterday I tried it on regular gas it seemed to be power surging and not running as well also was running hotter . I think this engine needs high octane I might try some aviation fuel see how it runs . The water spray idea sounds great and easier than mounting an electric fan ,.Thank you !

Clipper Joe

Is Your Engine 360 Or 440 Cu.In.?

The 440 Does Need 91 grade, Napa Auto Has This Stuff That Goes In Tank To Boost Octane.
But Does Sometimes Will Hurt Valves If You Boost Octane To Much.

In Calif. Have Heard Smog Guys Will Say For  Emission Reg. Or 87 Grade Burns Cleaner. I Do Use It Sometimes, But Not On Long Mountian Trips I Use 91 Premium.

We Have Found On These Clippers The More Cooler Air  You Get Into Carb Helps So Some Clipper Owners Have Made Air Induction To Air Cleaner Snorkel. To Get More Cool Air In.

I Had Eledbrock Carb, But Just Went Back To Thermoquad Carb OEM # TQ-9096s, The Rally Will Be The First Trial To Test Out. Has A lot More Power, But My Lose Alittle MPG From Eldebrock Was 800 Cfm Now Running TQ Which Is A 850 Cfm.

Make Sure Your Fuel Line Is Not By Any Heat Source, That Helps The Vapor Locking Of Fuel, Got Some Of That Also From Eledbrock Carb, But Got 11 MPG, Now Maybe 8-9 With TQ.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

Nice looking clipper! Joe can help you out with the overheating - I think he's worked through all the possibilities. :)

I have the 360 engine, so don't deal with overheating.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

banjojambo

how hard is it to install the thermo quad? I was told the tin plate heat shield  under the original carb was removed anyone know where to find it /
- I also have a problem with vibration maybe the u joints going ?

Clipper Joe

Hello banjojambo,

Glad to See You Are Using Our Web Site For Clipper Info, Have You Applied For ACOC Membership?
There Is So Much Info On This Site ;D The Membership App Is On Home Page, $30.00 First Year Then $25.00 Per Year Renewal. $5.00 Local Chapter Membership Yearly. So Please Join To Keep Our Club Moving Foward.

I Will Try & Answer Your Carburetor Issue, There Is A 1/4" Seal Gasket That Has A Large Opening Fir Thermoquad Carb. Spreadbore. They Have Them On E-Bay Or At Most Carb. Shops. Napa Auto Has Them Also.

You Will Need I Think 1 1/2" 5/16"NC Studs, For Mounting Carb, If You Are Removing Eledbrock Carb, Remove 3/4"-or 1" Spacer. You May Also Have To relocate Fuel Line To Thermoquad.

Also Take A Photo Of Gas Linkage, Before Removing & Transmission Kick Down Linkage.
This Will Fit Right Back On Thermo Quad Carb, With No Problem, Remember Where Washers & Cotter Pin Or C-Clips Go On Linkage,  That Is Why A Photo Is Good Reference.   

On Vibration, The Balance Of Drive Line Is Important, The U-Joints If Cluck Comes When You Put In Forward Or Reverse. Also Check If U-Joint Has Grease Zerk Fitting They Are New Style Splicer U-Joints. They Are Made By Dana Or Perfect Circle, Napa Auto, It Is Best To Take Drive Line & Match Up. ;) ;)

Remember To Cover Transmission Spline To Keep From Losing Trans Fluid. Some Time You Can Raise Rear Of Coach Up Or Park In A Slite Down Grade.

Hope This Helps & Please Respond On How You Make Out, It May Help Other ACOC Members who May Have Same Issues.

Joe

ACOC#3749

banjojambo