News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

California Clippers 1976-1980 Smog

Started by Clipper Joe, June 02, 2015, 08:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper Joe

Hello All You California Clippers From 1976-1980,

Just A Short Note On Getting These Great RV's During That Dreaded Ca. Smog Test Every Other Year.

Make Sure That As Soon As You Rec'd Your Renewal From DMV, First Check If Your Clipper Is Due For Smog & What Type. In California They Have Smog & Test Only Smog Stations, To Smog Your Clippers.

1.) You May Want To Ask The Smog Tech. If He Can Run A Test To See If It Will Pass Or Not. They Can Check Hydro Carbons & Co2's.

2.) You May Also Before Test, Make Sure Your Clipper Is Warmed Up Good.

3.) You May Want To Do A Oil & Filter Change Before Test & Do A Tune-Up, Witch Includes Plugs, Cap & Rotor, Also Check Wires For Condition. And May Want To Change Your Fuel Filter Under Cab By Frame & Some Clipper Owners Also Have A Fuel Filter In Or By Carburetor. This Will Most Of The Time Help You Through The Test.

4.) Also Change Air Filter Element, And Add Good Higher Grade Of Gas Maybe 92 High Test Fuel. Also Make Sure There Are No Leaks In Engine Compartment, & Check Gas Cap Rubber, If Bad Replace, They Test This During Smog Check.

As These Clippers Are Getting Into There Golden Years, We All Worry When We Have To Smog Them. :(

That Is A Good Thing That 1973-1975 Clipper Owners Do Not Have To Do These California Smog Tests. They Are Exempted. ;D

Please Feel Free To Add Some Of Your Smog Stores Good Or Bad It Does Help All Of Us Clipper Owners.

Thanks,

Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Sfine

When we smogged our rig shortly after purchasing it, it began a series of problems, from starting to just running lousy. After a few tries, I found an awesome Mopar mechanic who has the Clipper running better than it ever has, like a 440 should!
In was worried that again, I'd have to smog it, and tweak the adjustments to make it pass....then get back to where it was AGAIN...but just learned that in our county, Calaveras, we only need to smog upon transfer of owner, not annually or otherwise!!! Whoopie, that's the best news...don't have to touch a thing, just keep enjoying the Ride!
  For anyone experiencing lack of power...a different air filter that allowed better breathing was the single most improvement in our particular RV.
Solution: move to Murphys!!
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi Steve,
Can You Post That Carb Mech Contact, Hard To Find A Good Tech, That Knows Are Old Rigs.. ;)

Wish We Had To Smog 1 Time At Transfer, We In Bay Area Have To Do It Every 2 Years, Bummer....

You Are Right About The Air Flow On Those 440 Dodges, Since Putting Scoop, What A Differance.
MPG Has Been Good.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Sfine

What? You want me to share my mechanic.!?!?!? ;)
He lives and drives an ambulance in Angels Camp...working on Morpars is his side hobby, which he is very gifted at I can attest.  Has a beautiful collection of old plymouths, dodges and chryslers on his lot.  I will ask him if I can post his info, he doesn't smog, but can get it ready for it..our Clipper has ever run smoother or stronger.  If he prefers to remain anonymous , possibly I can persuade him to work on Clipper members thru a PM or something...I will check.
Spent the weekend in the high country enjoying the rains!!! Beautiful.
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi Steve,
That's No Problem, Thought He Had His Own Shop.

I Do Want To Get Or Fine My Orig. Thermo Quad I Need # TQ 9096 S, This Carb Is For Mine 1977 Calif. Emissions Style.
I Would Have To Add A New Mech. Choke Unit On Manifold, Took Old One Off When I Installed Eldebrock Replacement Carb.

Which Is No Longer Made. Story Of My Life, As These Clippers Are Getting Older, We Will Have To Try To Get The Hard To Fine Parts For Back Up's.. ;) Or Vendors Who May Still Have Mopar NOS Parts.

Motorhome Parts Are Also Getting Rare Too.

Thanks Again,
Joe

ACOC#3749