News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Wood Replacemnet

Started by Rd Ready, March 28, 2015, 07:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rd Ready

I was crawling around underneath my Clipper today, And I noticed in the Back just behind the bumper the wood is Sagging, And Needs to be replaced, Has anyone done this before, and if so any advice. I am considering taking it out and replacing, But not sure if I'll be qualified to do the Job, if its just a matter of Replacing the wood, I think I can handle that. But if theres more to it I might take it to a R.V repair guy up the road.  I really wish I could Stop by a Another clipper owners Place & get a few things in Order,, But I know that would be asking to much.. Maybe if I can make it to the rally.  :) I could get some expert opinions to get my Clipper in Shape..  Thanks ...#3782

Clipper Joe

Hi Rd Ready,
It Is Just A Multi Layered Plywood.

It Is Best If You Do The Job, Use Marine Plywood, After You Glue & Screw Back On, You Want To Coat Real Good With Rubberized Black Under Spray. This Will Seal It From The Water.

If It's The Main Flooring Which It Maybe 1" Or 1-1/8"
Sub Flooring, You May Have To Have A RV Pro Do It.
I'll Try A Take A Few Photos Of Under Rear Of My Clipper.

Also, I Did Replace Entry Unit & Rebuilt, Then Added A Larger Step 24" & Added 1/4" Steel Support Plate Under Heavy Marine Plywood, Then Undercoated Clipper Real Good.

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Rd Ready

Hey ClipperJoe, Honestly It looks like cardboard, lol I'm not sure if its Multi layered plywood, where would I find Marine plywood ? do they have it at Home depot ? I have included some Pictures for you to See. let me know what you think.. Can I get by with regular plywood and just Coat it with polyurethane ?

Rd Ready

some more Pictures cause two wasn't enough..lol I hope you can Distinguish the difference between the top layer and the Layer underneath.

Clipper Joe

Hi Mark Aka, Rd Ready,

They Did On Some Later Model Clipper 1978 & Above, They Used Like A 1/4" Hard Back Board, To Protect The Underlayment Or Plywood Base Flooring. Then They Would Undercoat The Whole Lower Chassis & Floor Bottom.

It's Alittle Hard To Really Make Out In The Photos, I'll Try & Download & Blow Up Alittle More.

Can You Tell Mark If The Water Went Past Masonite Board? & Into Wood?
You Can Try A Straight Screw Driver.
That 1/4" Hard Board May Be Available @ Home Depot.
Get Materials First, Then Remove Bad Wood Covering, You Can Pre Fit Wood, Then Use Liquid Nail Adhesive & Stainless Steel Tech Screws.

Also, After You Fit Is Completed Go To Auto Parts Store And Buy 5-6 Cans Of Black Rubberized Undercoating.

This Should Do The Job. If You Need More Info PM Me Your Contact Info Phone # We Can Chat On This.

Joe

ACOC#3749

Clipper Joe

Hi Rd Ready,
They Do Sell At Home Depot A Pressure Treated Plywood, But It Is Only 3/4".
If You Have To Do Underlayment You Can Use 1" Multi Layered Regular Plywood.
You Would Want To Use Spar Varnish Or Lindseed Oil Protective Sealer Coating, The Biggest Thing Is To Make It Water Residence, That's Where The Under Coating Comes Into Play & A Good Poly Caulking Around Seam Areas.

Like I Said In Other Post, If It Is Only That 1/4"
Hard Board, May Get Away With Just A Good Undercoating. & Save You $$$ For More Important Items, Like Tires & Brakes,Battery, Etc.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Rd Ready

Thanks Clipper Joe. I have some more Pictures, I wonder, do you have a Facebook Page ? It would be much easier to post picture there for you to see... If you do Go to Rufus Ready. You know it's my wall by the wolf Picture and a Profile picture of a soldier with the Caption ( The courage of your Convictions ) Get some.. lol

Sfine

Rufus ready,
Just a thought, I got a Clipper Facebook page started , just for pics and fun stuff. It MAY help you post photos to other owners
It's called. " American Clipper Fans"
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi Rd Ready Welcome Back,

Don't Use Facebook, That's My Wife Thing,Want To Keep This Web Site ACOC Alive.. ;D

Send Me A PM & Your E-Mail Contact & I'll Send You My Clipper E-Mail.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Rd Ready

Sfine, thank you for the input, I saw that the other day... Thats so cool... unfortunately, Clipper Joe doesn't have facebook... I was looking to him for some advice. But I will go on there tonight and check it out again...

Rd Ready

Clipper JOE, Although I do have an E-mail, I tried sending some Pictures to my Pastors wife, It takes up to much Data.. But you know what it's cool, yesterday I went into town and bought some Linseed oil, ( boiled ) Then I took out the old damaged areas, and cut out some plywood to replace with. so I am just about done now... it's all coated and ready to put in, Next payday I will go buy some roof tar to finish the job with.  Next project is stress Cracks, Fiberglass work.. Ugh... lol Thank you for all your Help... it sure came in useful... Have a great day.

Clipper Joe

Hi Rd Ready,

If You Want Another Good Water Proof Sealer, I Use 'Man Of War' Spar Varnish. Works Great. Linseed Oil Does Soak In Wood.
Are You Using Exterior Waterproof Glued Plywood Or Marine Plywood? After It Dry's Real Good, Try Using 3M Rubberized Black Undercoat Spray Works Great To Keep Water Out... ;)

Joe
ACOC#3749