News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

First Time RV owners and It's a Clipper :)

Started by jbtbbrewer, March 02, 2015, 08:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbtbbrewer

We got our baby today... it was a journey straight from the start. She has been sitting up since 2011 ( only driven once since.. and only about 5 miles) but the previous owner cranked her ever so often. After a new battery and some coaching ... she cranked. We dared and tried to drive her 21 miles ( in the rain at night....she was tooooo good of a deal to not try). She got 15 and started to run hot. My husband remembered the Heater full blast trick ( turn on the heater full blast to cycle the hot water through the heater... not great but works in a pinch for a short distance)and she made it home. She's now outside and I can't wait for daylight. I know she needs work but oh boy am I excited!!!
I should say she's a 21' 1978.

Toedtoes

Congratulations!  And welcome to the forum.  That first drive home with the clipper is always a journey - even if things all go well.  Clippers are wonderful creatures and you're going to love it even more than you do now.

Which floorplan is she?  There's the 821F (standard dinette, couch, rear kitchen), 821FC (standard dinette, two chairs, rear kitchen), 821FIT (L-shaped dinette, couch, rear kitchen), 821FCIT (L-shaped dinette, two chairs, rear kitchen), 821SK-F (standard dinette, couch, side kitchen), 821SK-FC (standard dinette, two chairs, side kitchen), 821SK-FIT (L-shaped dinette, couch, side kitchen), 821-SK-FCIT (L-shaped dinette, two chairs, side kitchen), and the bunk model (side kitchen, dinette).  The side kitchen models have a bathtub; rear kitchen have a shower only.

Which engine is she?  My guess is she's a Dodge 440 - that's the most common with that year.  If so, you'll get a LOT of great info from Clipper Joe.  Running hot is a common issue with the 440s.  Clipper Joe has done a lot of mods to address that issue on his clipper.

Stick around, share your stories, ask questions, enjoy the camaraderie of the folks who all love their clippers!
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

jbtbbrewer

Thanks for having us by the way : ) She's a 821FIT with a 440 ( yep you are correct  ;) )
She needs a replacement ceiling at the vents and there seems to be water damage under the stove. We haven't gotten to explore her fully... so I'll follow up tomorrow once we've had a chance to really look over her. We had NOOOO idea she was a classic or even a Clipper when we first saw a picture... just knew that she looked really cool and I had to see if I could get her... my cousin had her and didn't want her anymore... said come "get her if you can crank it". We were floored when we realized just what a classic she is.

Toedtoes

Quote from: jbtbbrewer on March 02, 2015, 09:25:32 PM
Thanks for having us by the way : ) She's a 821FIT with a 440 ( yep you are correct  ;) )
She needs a replacement ceiling at the vents and there seems to be water damage under the stove. We haven't gotten to explore her fully... so I'll follow up tomorrow once we've had a chance to really look over her. We had NOOOO idea she was a classic or even a Clipper when we first saw a picture... just knew that she looked really cool and I had to see if I could get her... my cousin had her and didn't want her anymore... said come "get her if you can crank it". We were floored when we realized just what a classic she is.

That's a great deal!  Under the stove is where my hot water tank is located.  Also, I was having leaking along the trim at the right side of the door (looking from the inside).  It ended up that the water was dripping between the window and the grey/black trim around it at the corners (inside the metal frame).  Couple spots you might check out.  It could also simply be from the leaking vents.  Good luck with that.

There's lots of great information here about repairs and mods.  If you become a member of the club, you'll also get full access to all the technical sections of the website (you won't see them now, but they include all sorts of engine, chassis, and interior repairs and modifications).

jbtbbrewer

After this morning's assessment .... We need help :)
We see many systems issues ( even as a lay person). The original fridge is in it and the control button changing it from gas to electric is broken off flush ( actually crumbled).... the propane tank under the driver seat is rusted pretty bad... heater and ac issues ( in the cab and the house).... leak issues at the seams above the cab and at vents...........all sorts of things. Since we are newbies in every sense of the word when it comes to RVs ... need as much technical information we can get.  My husband and I both are really mechanically inclined so working on some things are really not beyond us... but at this point we're not even sure how the systems are supposed to work much less do they work lol. We will be mailing our membership application ASAP. Where do I begin to find parts to her?   We named her Clara Clipper btw ;)

Toedtoes

I like that name!!

The first thing I would do is to get the propane lines and the fuel lines tested for leaks.  They usually do a smoke test (run smoke through the system and look for smoke coming out of lines, connections, etc.).

With the propane, if there are no leaks, then I wouldn't too much about the exterior rust.  Because propane gets colder than the outside temp, there has been 38 years of condensation on that tank - it's going to have rust.  But as long as the mechanics of it are properly working, it's not a big deal.

Regarding the leaks and resulting damage.  This is where the clippers excel over other RVs.  The house is made out of 5 panels - roof (with the overhang to the trim), front (overhang to the sides), rear (overhang to the sides), and left and right sides.  Any leaks will occur at those seams (unlikely) OR at windows and vents.  Makes diagnosis much easier. 

What model fridge do you have?  If it's the same one as mine, I can tell you what placement is for each option (gas, 12v, electric).

Cab AC is most likely dead.  Very few actually work and they are supposed to be expensive to repair (someday I'll take mine in for an estimate, but it's on the low burner).  Check the alternator belt(s) - if it goes around the AC also, then it could freeze when you're driving and burn the belt.  I had my belt re-routed bypassing the AC to prevent that.

Depending on what house heater you have, you may have good or bad luck.  They used two different manufacturers (Suburban and another one) - one tends to run great, the other has issues.

For parts, once you've joined the club, you can get many directly through the club.  For everything else, someone here can often help locate.  Sometimes you'll have to replace versus repair because you can't get parts anymore.

Clipper Joe will be along to offer additional advice.  Feel free to start threads specific to individual concerns as you go.  We've all been there and we'll get you through. :)

Clipper Joe

Hello & Welcome Jbtbbrewer,

I Know You Stated You Have A 1978 Clipper With 440 Ci Motor. I Have A 1977 Rear Kitchen, With A Dodge 440 Ci Engine Also.
The Later Clippers A Real Close In What They Used Inside Of House.
Did You Receive Any Operation Manuals?
The Fridge Used In Most 1976-1980 Clippers Were Dometic RM-66E, These Were I Think Are 4 or 5 Cu In Fridge. They Were 3 Way Power, 12 Vdc, 110Vac & LPG Gas. Operation. You Should Always Try & Have Freezer Level When In Use.

There Are Few Replacement Models That Fit In A Clipper. I Have With Some Mod. I Installed A RM2510 You Have To Re-Route LPG Line, Also Add 2" Spacer In Front Of Fridge To Clear Rear Of Fridge Because Of Clipper Rear Slope To Clear Fridge Coils On New Fridge. You Also Have To Raise Cabinet Shelf & Re-cut Cabinet Door About 2". And Also It Is Only 110Vac & LPG. You Also Have To Bring Fridge In Through Pass. Door,Also To Remove Old Fridge.
These Units Cost About $1000.00, I Installed My Self. Feel Free To PM If You Decide On This Project. Turn Out Real Nice & Cools In About 2 Hours.

Now On The Fridge RM66E I gave The Supply Office Some NOS Knobs Off My Old Fridge, Also The Shelves. I Still Have The Old Fridge In My Back Yard Covered Up. It Has The Door & Freezer Door & Rear Coil Unit With Gas & Elec. Parts, Not Sure If It Works, But Parts Like Thermo Coupler & Gas Valve Is Good. Let Me Know. What State Do You Live In? :)

Now A Little On LPG Or Propane Tank. Toedtoes Was Right On About Due To Age Of These Clippers, Alot Of The Rubber Hoses, Have Decayed Over Time. Fuel Hoses Should Be Replaced & Remember LPG Uses Special Hoses Made For LPG Gas... :P
On My Tank, I Removed & Had It Pressured Tested, Also Had A New Brass Fill Valve Installed. For New Fill Procedures. Also I Replace The LPG Hose To The Iron Pipe, Also Add Sleeve To Protect It, I Will Send Photo If Neeeded. Most Large LPG Shops Can Do These Jobs. It Is Better To Be Safe Than Sorry, LPG Can Be Real Dangerest. You May Also Want Regulater Tested, They Can Go Bad At Times.

Feel Free To Ask Questions, There Are Many Clipper Owner Who May Have Had The Same Problems You May Be Having, & This Helps Us All, When You Have Something You Are Not Sure Of.

It Is Also Nice To Be Able To Snap A Few Photos Of Your Issuses You May Have It Helps.

Also, Try & Log Down, Model & Ser # Of All Appl. In House, Ie: Fridge, Stove/Oven,Furnace, Gen-Set, Water Heater Etc. Also Nice To Get From E-Bay Dodge Opertion & Maintenance Manual.

Ya Clara Nice Name, Will Bring You Luck. Please Send Membership In So We Can Get You Full Acess To This Wonderful Web Site   ;D ;D

Good Luck,
Joe & Denise

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

jbtbbrewer

Well . she actually has sat without any true exploration. I haven't had the heart. I didn't have the title so I didn't want to get attached just in case.  BUT GREAT NEWS :) as of today I have the Title IN HAND ... doing a happy dance. So we will be unloading her this afternoon. I've been using her for storage ( for shame I know). We didn't completely ignore her. We tarped her so the leaks would not continue to let water in. I'm still excited and a little scared that she's truly mine :) I've printed the membership form and have it ready to go. Does anyone know how long turn over is if I order the back issues of the News Letter?

Toedtoes

Congratulations!  There's a bunch of new clipper owners these past few months - I hope you all stick around and share your clipper stories, mishaps, fixes, etc. with us.

I can't give an exact timeframe, but it should come fairly quick.  The new membership officer is the wife of the supply officer - so verifying things goes a lot quicker. :)  Once your membership is received and approved, you'll be upgraded on the forum to National Club Member and will be able to access all the technical sections.  TONS of information to be had and will keep you in reading material until the past newsletters arrive. :)

bulldog 1995

when you reseal the roof vents use 3m 5200 it is a permanent marine adhesive sealant and lasts a very long time(will last 8-10yrs submerged in salt water so... beware this stuff WILL NOT come off without one heck of a fight after its full cured (that is 7 days) and will require replacement of lower vent housing as the one removed will be ruined) and for the house windows they should be rebeded with a product called Lifecaulk another marine sealant. this is used for deck fittings and windows on fiberglass boats and will come off cleanly and easily down the road for future maintenance. It goes between the fiberglass and the metal frame.

I live in the Seattle Wa area and had leak issues with mine and did what I described above and have had no leaks since. I also resealed my AC down with lifecaulk for good measure.
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

kenmel

Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805

jbtbbrewer

We had a family tragedy so everything was halted. We have since started back on the project. For the last three weeks we've been pretty active trying to get everything in shape.
*We found water damage in he bed loft. It's not incredibly bad to gut the original "flooring" but significant enough to pull it up and fix leak (obviously) and pull the insulation. We found an interesting "sticker" from the manufacturer with initials on the backwall under insulation ( will post pic shortly).
*It wouldn't start/ turn over when we went back to restoring it. My husband pulled the carburetor and cleaned it. It should have never made it here...years and years of buildup. Guess it was meant to be. One issue with the  rebuilding  and carb cleaning was that  the rebuild kit came with little brass inlets ( will get technical term from hubby when he gets ups) that allowed too much gas in. He had to take it back off and used the original ones and it worked like a champ. He also put in inline gas filters.  It will now turn over with the slightest key turn.
*We replaced the two dome vents and escape hatch completely with new ones.
*cleaned and resealed all potential areas water could enter on the top
*changed all capacitors on the ac
*working on interior previous water damage at back near stove. The wood is rotted at seem so we are salvaging the veneer we have to cut out, replace wood "bone" on that seem and replace panel with a metal back splash.
*continuing to pull all camouflage  decor out ...awesome previous owners left original underneath ...so will take pics before we decorate it (leaving original as they did).
*replaced seals on faucets
So that's for now ;)

jbtbbrewer

* "brass things" in carburetor
  are the floats

kengill

Just bought a 1978 21 foot American Clipper 440 dodge (bunk, dinette, side kitchen, rear bath with tub). I just love it!!! There are some things that need some attention but nothing serious. Have done a tune up-- plugs, wires, new breather, new air cleaner, put a carb kit in the Carter ThermoQuad. When I brought it home was running on 5 cylinders. Tip....when you work on an engine push the wires back on the spark plugs it runs better. ;D Bought a new Dometic 3 way fridge. Had to take the door out to get the old one out needed new butyl tape around the door anyway. Pulled old smelly rug out immediately and will replace with vinyl hardwood. Fixing a leak on rear passenger side (bunk) where the side and rear fiberglass meet. Some rot to where the hot water heater sits below the bottom bunk. Replacing all the wood with cedar (cedar fence material is the exact thickness as the original pine in the frame of the wall) to stop the rot in case of a new leak but using alot of silicone, caulk and aluminum ducting tape. Will take pictures with the progress. I can't wait to take her out on the first camp trip!!

Toedtoes

Congrats and welcome!!!  Sfine has a bunk model also, I'm sure he'll be glad to have a fellow bunker around. The rest of us are mostly rear kitchen models. :)