News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

It's All Mine...1976 440 21ft Rear Kitchen 821F

Started by Rd Ready, May 08, 2014, 08:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rd Ready

So it's official, After some, well. Deep thinking( to deep for my shallow Mind ) I have Decided to Keep "Webster" My 1976 440 21ft rear Kitchen 821F. Plus I went and Read as Many of the Posts I could Find from Senior Members Like John E, and Mac,  prophetdaniel2, Horst,REDNECKINIT.  Just to Name a Few.. I feel Like I know you Guys. And I hope to meet you out on the Road. I felt the Comradeship  through the writing.So enjoyed the humor and stories of John. I am Disabled somewhat, due to hard work and no brains. I would love to Get together and Shoot the Breeze with some of you guys you sound Like Good People.. I am Heading to Brookhaven , Miss in( 'Webster") in july, God willing.  From Ventura Calif. I Have Never Had An R.v Before So I could sure use some Advice, I have a Little Common Sense, So I Have been reading all I can On your AWESOME SITE< Props to the People who Have Been Maintaining it.  :D
So heres how I came to be a Clipper Owner, I have a Dog Named Honey, Pit bull And Lab. She loves everybody, including this Julia roberts Beauty up the Street who took a shine to Honey and I, Well Prolly Just Honey Cause I have a Face only a Mom could love, SO to make an already long Story Short, She asked me if I wanted An R.V. when she Heard About Miss. ( first thought ) money pit.. I shied away and told her let me think about it. Two days Later I told Her Yeah maybe Could I look at it? She was storing Boxes in it, was sad to see. So I asked Her if it Ran,  And she Said oh yeah, but the battery's dead, Of Course.SO I rushed Down to the Gas station down the street, thinking the whole time, I scored, this Could be Just what the Lord ordered.. I returned with the Batt, And it started right up. She then started to tell me her Parents are gone now, it was theirs. and she just wanted out of her Driveway. It has a Rebuilt 440, And has been sitting since 2007. The Brakes were Squishy on my way down to my house. So those will Be first on the list, But after that. I am Overwhelmed, wished one of you experts were Here to Slap me in the Back of the head and tell me what to DO .. But your not, So Being a Navy Brat I decided to Motivate Myself and Started by buying some rubbing Compond and wax, Because the Fiberglass was so Chalky I could teach a Class on it. Anyway. I want to say Last but not least I just downloaded the Application on my flash drive and will get it to A.C.O.C. soon. And I just want to say I am open to helping anyone out if they need it.. Oh by the way Heres the Best Part, I am Adopted And My Real Name is R.D. Ready, The license plate on the Clipper Read's (607-RDZ) imagine that...   

Clipper Joe

Hello Rd Ready,

Great To See You Bought One Of The Best RV's Ever Made, & You Named Him  'Webster' Great Name, Will Bring You Luck. ;D

If You Are Planning A Trip That Distance, There Are Many Clipper Owners That Have Done That In Theres, Steve & His Wife Have Had Some Long Trips In Theres I Think, He May Be Able To Answer Some Of Your Questions.  Yes It Is A Must To Join The ACOC If You Want Vast Available To Info. :)

You First Want To Make Sure That Your Rig Is Safe, Check All Fluid Levels, In Engine, Coolant, Engine Oil, Transmission Oil ATF, & Would Be Good To Check Rear End Lube, It Takes Mopar Lube.

Also, How Is The Condition On Tires, I Would Check Date Code DOT Date: Some Say If Tires Are Between 7-10 Years Old May Have A Problem With Heat & Weight Of Clipper.

Also, Spray Water On Roof & Windows, Check All Vents For Leaks Etc. Make Sure A/C Cover Is Secure Also.

You May Want To Check Under Clipper & See If The Shocks & Air Bags In Rear Are In Good Shape & Just Do A Good Look See..

There Are A Few Check Lists On Forum You Will Be Able To View When You Have Your Membership Returned. ;)

I Know You Will Get More Posts On This This Club Has Been Real Helpful For Us All.

Welcome & Get That Membership In & Happy Clippering.

Joe & Denise
ACOC# 3749 
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

Welcome RD, Honey and Webster!!  ;D

Congratulations!  These clippers are certainly a joy to own and play in/with.

When I bought my clipper, I took it in to my local mechanic and had a basic "run through" on it for mechanical issues. 

A few things that I would definitely check out in addition to what's already been mentioned:

• do a smoke test on the fuel lines - those hoses can rot and it will take you forever to find and replace leaks one bit at a time, so just do the entire line from the start
    have the propane tank and lines checked out
    check the hot water tank for leaks, etc.
    check the grey and black water tank valves - the gaskets can come loose in the pipes and repair can be icky then
    do a test on all the coach appliances (stove, oven, fridge, a/c, etc.)
    check coach water lines for leaks

I second the checking on the age of the tires.  If it's old, even with good tread, it can blow from the heat and rip out your entire underneath (including tanks).  Unless they are brand new, I would most likely get new ones before the drive to MISS - that's a long drive in the heat and a middle-aged tire might just call it quits on you somewhere inconvenient.

PM me when you submit your ACOC registration (include the check number and date mailed), and I'll get you upgraded to National Club Member.  The actual registration process is old-style and can take some time to fully process - so I like to get folks upgraded online asap (knowing that if someone fakes it, I can wipe them out quickly :)) ) so you can reap the tech knowledge here on the forum.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Rd Ready

Hello Again Fellow Clipperians, Thank you for your Quick Response, Clipper joe and Toedtoes, I am So excited about Working on My Clipper and meeting  new Friends And New things to do during my Retirement so looking forward to Actually Becoming a Member, Speaking of Which, I just have to say is still in Progress.. Application is on the Flash Drive, But I have to go down the Hill And follow through with the rest of it. I move slow. Bad Feet. Bad Heart. I wont be able to Afford it until June though Dentist wiped me out. Unless I get some side work.  :) SO now let me answer your Post's, Clipper joes, Yes there was Coolant in the radiator, Nothing but. No water, Could this be to Prevent Rust, they knew it was gonna Sit. ? Oil Looked Brand new to, Tranny Fluid was good to. No discoloration. But just to ease everyone's Mind I am Prolly gonna take it to Ventura R.V. just down the road from me. And Have them do a Full Check. I found their Flyer in with all the American Clipper Journals. I didn't Check the Pumpkin yet I keep getting Side tracked. thanks for the tip Mopar Fluid. The tires look Brand new. But it has been sitting from 2007 So I'm just gonna get new ones. I also Found some 16's rim's  on Craigslist. for $200. with tire's , As far as Leak's I had 3 that I know of, I fixed those right away, First one was at the Forward escape Hatch, I bought some Self leveling Caulk And tryed that first, I failed, (It should Be Noted that I am trying not to Spend to Much Money Before I go to Miss, I want to Make sure I have enough to get there.) So then I tryed to fix the Generator exhaust Pipe  which was leaking, Failed. So I bought some Flex seal Next. No leak's, I took Pictures But can't download them Because they are too Big ? A/C cover is Secure. I did find a Checklist in with all the A/C  Journals I found. which is a wealth of info to.. Now on Toedtoes:  whats a Smoke test ?  I will have the Propane Checked. Heck I had Webster For a Month before I found the Propane tank.. lol And I don't even know where to start to check the Appliances. I will Pm you if I don't forget. when I send it in .thank you. ! By the way the Previous Owners were Number 240.. 

Toedtoes

The smoke test is basically where they shoot smoke through the fuel lines - anywhere in the line that the smoke comes out is a leak.  When they did mine, they called me and said "the smoke is pouring out everywhere!"  The hoses were old and had miniature cracks and holes throughout.  We replaced 15ft of fuel lines.  It sure did make a difference in my gas mileage.  ;D

Clipper Joe

Hi Again Rd Ready,
Sounds Like You Are On The Right Tract, With Webster.

When You Get Your 16" Rims, Make Sure If You Have The Large 1 1/8" Lug Nuts,
The Dodge Wheels Are Coin Style, That Is When The Rear Dually Are Installed There Is A Dowel Stud That Lines Up With Enter Rim & Outer Rim, Make Sure You Tighten Lugs To Proper Torque,
My Dodge Book Said 450-500 Ft Lbs. If You Have The Large Lug Nuts. The Rims Are Budd Wheels.
I Would Get 225/75R16 Tires, Check Clearance on Rear & Fronts.

It Would Be Good For Your Long Trip, Is To Try & Find One on E-Bay
A Repair Manuel For Your Year Dodge. It Real Helps Over Time. :)

When You Get LPG System Checked, Make Sure Shut Off Valve Is Working Properly!!
Also Remember, Your Gas Stove/Oven, Make Sure Knob Says Oven Pilots Off.

I Know My Wife Forgot To Switch The Oven Pilot Off on My Old Tioga RV & I Kept Smelling Propane :-\

Well I'll Close For Now & Good Luck.

Joe
ACOC # 3749

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Rd Ready

Clipper Joe, Thanks for the Heads up On the Lpg, I will,  And also the rim's and Tires >I sure hope I didn't get Screwed on that Deal. But oh well you live and Learn. Are you Guys, due to have any rally's anytime soon ? 

Toedtoes

The next rally is just around the corner.  May 23-25 in Manteca.  PM me if you think you can make it and I'll get you more information.

Rd Ready

Hey you Guy's !!!! AND  Toedtoes:   I'm  10-8 and standing by, I have a money order waiting to Send to You. But I want to make sure I got this Right, DO I make it out to A.C.O.C. ? If not who ? And What is the Address is it the one on the National Club information link ? ACOC Membership
2853 Smoke Tree Circle
Stockton, CA  95209-1160
Waiting to mail to you ...
thanks for the patience ;D :o 8)...

Toedtoes

Yes, make it out to A.C.O.C.  Address is:

ACOC Membership Registration
c/o Larry and Janice Friedman
2419 Sheridan Way
Stockton, CA 95207

You can download the latest membership form here:  http://www.americanclipperownersclub.com/forms/application.pdf

Rd Ready

Toedtoes

Rd Ready

Toedtoes: which Forum ? General Discussion, Tech talk, I'm Lost.. Looked for you all night and couldn't find you...

Toedtoes

Hi RD,

You should now have access to see and post in the Tech Forum board and all its child boards (Engine Work, Chassis Work, etc.).   You should also be able to see the National Rally Details board.  These are the boards that are locked to National Club Members only.

Rd Ready

Toedtoes: 10-4,  yes, I see them now, How amazing is that.. Lot's of useful stuff there thank you ! SO Freaken excited about Finally being A member soon.. Can't wait to Meet you Other Members...