News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Roof top AC Condensation?

Started by Maverick, October 19, 2013, 07:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick

Hello everyone, well, in trying to remove my fresh water tank from the Clipper I was getting hot and decided to run to roof AC, that turned into another project ( I ended up taking it apart on top of the RV and cleaning the matted shut condenser and redoing all the insulation inside the condenser cover), so after I was all done resealing it and putting back together I got down and turned it on and went inside my house for a bit to cool off ( it's hot here in Fla!) I came back out and went into the RV and it was cooling off real nice so I went up top to check things out and the area all around the AC had condensation puddling all around it, is this normal to have the unit drain its condensation on the roof like that? Or did I plug something up when I took it apart and cleaned it?    Thanks to all! Roger.

Maverick

Also, is it normal for the plug adapter to get really hot and burn off one of the prongs when pluging in the RV to my house, well, I'm sure it's not normal but what could be the problem, do I need a heavier extention cord? This happened after I had it plugged in all day yesterday with the AC running. Thanks, Roger.

Clipper Joe

Hi Roger,

Your House Garage Circuit, Is  15Amp.- Or If Newer Home 20 Amp.
When You Add A 25- 50 Foot Maybe #16 or 14 Gauge Extension Cord You Create A Voltage Drop.

Which In Turns Cause Heat.

Remember The Cord From Clipper Is Made For 30 Amps. Wire Size Is #10 Gauge.

I Have Added A 30 Amp. Hook-up Box On The Side Of My House Under My Main Service Panel, Just Like The Ones You Find @ RV Parks, I'll Try To Send Photo, But I Am Out Of Town At Present.

You Can Use An Adapter 3 Prong On Main Clipper Cord & A Real Short 12 Gauge Cord Short As Possible, Check It after Using A/C,  But It Is Really Attend For 30 Amps.....   

Hope This Is Not To Confusing,

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Maverick

Thanks Joe, I understand. Any thoughts on the AC or is that normal?  Roger.

Clipper Joe

Roger, Did Not Read The First Post,
is your A/C A Coleman Or Dometic Or Dura Therm?

I Have A 1977 Dodge Clipper, I Have Installed A Newer More Efficient Coleman Mach III.
If Outside Is Really Hot, Sometimes The Older Units Can Get A little Moisture Around.

These Are Sealed Units, I Think All You Can Do Is Make Sure You Clean The Coils Real Good, Maybe Oil Motor.
I Have Ran A High Stream Of Water With A Heavy Duty Spray Nozzle.   

Remember The Motor Draws About 15-20 Amps. So If It Starts On High Side Or Under Pressure, Current May Be Up. They Should Have A Built In Release Solenoid Valve To Release Pressure.
Sometimes May Need Service Or Replacement. Do To Age Of Unit.

You Being In Fla. You Want A Good A/C Unit.... ;D

Hope This Helps,
Joe 
ACOC#3749

Maverick

Hey Joe, it is a Coleman unit, it doesn't leak into the rv, just puddles up on top of the roof while it is running and as you come out the door of the RV it kinda gets blown off the top from the fan ( kind of like little drops of rain if you stand there by the back door, lol), I guess it has to drain off from some where, just never thought about it puddling on the roof I guess. Thanks, Roger.

Clipper Joe

Hi Roger,
On The Condensate from Your A/ C is Normal in High Humidity,
Is Your Clipper Parked On Level Area.
I Do Have One Spot on My Roof in The Middle That Does Form on Right Side.
I put A Small 2x6 Under Front Wheels & Water Stop Collect on Roof.

Have You Had The The Coleman Cover Off?
I Think They May Have A Few Drain Holes Around Metal Frame That May Be Cogged, With Debris. :-[

You May Want To Run A/C & Go On Roof With Shroud Off a& Observe To See Water Leakage... Maybe Easier Way To Locate Reason....

Hope This Helps>> Remember Nothing Is Impossible May Just Take A little Longer :D

Joe     
ACOC#3749