News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Seeking Advice - 1975 Clipper for Sale or Trade?

Started by Randi Rembe, June 11, 2013, 09:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randi Rembe

Hello - My name is Randi and my family friends gifted me a 1975 American Clipper.  They had lots of wonderful family memories with her and wanted the same for us. A gracious gift and very sweet of them. Shes a gem, is lovely and only has 30,000 original miles on her. My Dad and his trucker buddies went through and fixed up the engine for me (spark plugs and oil and new filters and tons of other things I have record of) and really, she runs great!  Brand new battery and I invested over a $1000 on basic repairs to the engine (again, have all the records) The only issue is she needs to be jump started each time (I THINK I keep leaving SOMETHING on that is draining the battery each time but I cannot figure out what it is).  Once she's started, she runs very well and cruises down the highway like a champ!  We have four little kids and we simply cannot afford the time and money to install seat belts and pay for the travel cost of gas etc.  We do not want to part with her but interested in selling or trading for a tent trailer. Not sure her value?  Any help you could provide would be great.  I have a very nice Honda Odyssey so we feel with a tent trailer we could still honor their gift to us but we would save on expenses.  Also interested in just selling and then investing in a tent trailer that way.  Figured your organization is the way to go and the best place to start.  I do not want to go to Craigslist as she would likely be best with someone that loves Clippers and I want to keep our family safe and far from the traffic craigslist would draw. We have ALL the old newsletters from a decade or so that came to us with her.  Again, she is beautiful and I don't want to part ways but its just going to not be cost effective in he long run for our little family.  Please help.  Thank you.  Randi  (707) 888 - 5437

Mr. Garrison

Don't sell it!  You'll regret it!  That's a gem at 30k miles, and irreplaceable.  RV manufacturers have been trying to duplicate that success for over 35 years.  Just take short trips and enjoy!  Besides, a tent trailer will leak.  Please post pics if possible, we would all love to see it.

Randi Rembe

Thanks for reading my post to all that did.  To the nice man that called and left a voicemail with me-I did get your message and will call you early next week.  Been swamped with the kids and we are trying to get ready for a friends wedding.  I need to call you at a quiet moment so I can actually talk to you and those moments are too few and far between here  Grateful for your advice and assistance in advance.  Thanks for the post here (above / below).  I will try to add some pics here.  I don't WANT to sell it and maybe I won't.  I'd love to keep it.  I really do enjoy her.  She's a beauty in my opinion.  We will see.  Thank you for the encouragement.

Horst

I understand your dilema.
That looks like a clean unit, and any auto electrical guy worth anything could solve your battery drain issue in two hours, tops......and might get lucky and find it in a few minutes, but charge you for 1/2 hour (if he's nice).

I have a 1975 also, and looked specifically for that year. You probably know why.............we DON"T need to pass the smog test every two years........smog exemption is a beautiful thing, and makes the 75 Clipper worth even more!

Since I'm smog exempt, I was able to switch my carb/intake set-up  to Edelbrock (from the stock intake and Carter 2-barrel).....better gas mileage, etc.

Hang on to your Clipper if you can. I don't know your living situation, but if you have some property, it makes great guest quarters/man cave, and as noted above, is great for quick/local trips. Also, it's instant earthquake preparedness......just keep it stocked with water, gas, food.....and you are "prepared".
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.