News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

1978 Clipper 100k mileage question, high mileage and oil type

Started by satorizero, May 26, 2013, 06:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satorizero

Hello! I'm excited to be here! I just bought a 1978 Dodge American Clipper, 440 in it, etc.. I'm sure you're all familiar with it and probably even have the same one I do :D !

So anyway, it has a new carburetor, new fuel pump and new ignition switch, runs perfect it seems.

It has 90,906 miles on it, and I was wondering about getting to 100k and up... what are the expectations for the motor at that mileage? I am 28 years old and this is the first RV I've ever owned and driven. Its the second vehicle I own, besides my Jeep, and its the oldest. My Jeep is a 2000 and has 150k+ miles on it and is fine and is expected to last long, so I'm not sure about these older motors/vehicles.

Again, would like to know what to expect and if theres anyone with these RV's that are well over 100k I would love to know as well, thank you everyone in advance!

Clipper Joe

Hello Satorizero,
Welcome To ACOC, We also have a Dodge 440-3
1977 Clipper, Ours Has 136,500 miles on the coach I Rebuilt Engine & Transmission 727 Torq.
Old Owner real Drove it hard.
I feel if you change oil about each 3,000 miles, & make sure you don't Over heat it you should enjoy many more miles, what State do you live in?

I also installed new upgraded A/C System & a 4 Core xtra heavy duty Rad. Installed Big Rig Truck, High Temp. Heater Hoses, Silicone Blue they are Life Time.

One last Note you mention you installed a new Carb, What Type? & What type of Fuel Line did you attach to It? This is Very Imortant..

Feel free to reply, may have more infor.

Regards,
Joe &  Denise
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

satorizero

Hi Clipper Joe, thanks for responding :). Sorry for the late response, have been working on the RV a lot, trying to get it livable :).

I tried to find any documentation on the Carb but I cant, it was installed before I purchased it. Is there any way to see what it is on it maybe? And about the fuel line I have no clue, Ill attach a couple pics and maybe you can tell me where I should look and maybe anything else you see :)

So Im glad to hear you have over 137k on it... BUT you said you rebuilt the engine and tranny! lol. I dont THINK mine has anything rebuilt but I can ask the guy who sold it to me. If yours is rebuilt and mine isnt then it wouldnt be a good comparison yes?

Thanks for your help and anyone else's :)

And what is this attachment for on the top of the carb cover?
I have a hose coming off the vaccum that someone routed to the dashboard! Is that whats supposed to go here?

retrorob

The fitting on the air cleaner loooks to me to be from an old Edelbrock Vari-jection system. This was designed to add a water/alcohol vapor to the air intake stream. The idea originated with WWII aircraft. It added power and raised the octane of the fuel/air mixture.

Clipper Joe

Hi Satorizero,

The photos are very clear, I think photo #8 show me what I was talking about, you have a small rubber fuel line connected to Carb, you have a Carter Thermo Quad, most Clipper & Mopar owners have said These Carbs work the best on big block 440-3.if they are set right,
Since I rebuilt my 440 motor & trans torqueflight 727, I went with the replacement Edelbrock 1905 Performer. Have not really taken any long distance trip, so I have not check mileage.
I know it's probably under 10 mpg, Kennel said his 360 got over 10 mpg.
I will know so getting ready for a long fishing trip with buddy of mine,
Hoping to get most of the bugs out. I have had my Clipper ( Wilson ) since 2003, have been working mostly in last 6 Months, since I am now Semi-retired.

Getting back to Fuel line, I was told by a Old retired Dodge Mech.
That there is so much heat within Doghouse cover, that fuel rubber hoses can crack & leak & may catch engine on fire.  Note not trying to alarm you and fellow Clipper owners, just have the fuel line checked. I will try & snap a few photos of my steel line hook-up.
The fuel line from gas tank I think is 5/16" & Carb inlet takes 3/8" so I added a coupler from 3/8" to 5/16".. Hope this makes since.  If you send me a PM with you e-mail or phone # I can explain a little better.
Regards,
Joe & Denise
ACOC#3749

WallyDawg

Getting back to Fuel line, I was told by a Old retired Dodge Mech.
That there is so much heat within Doghouse cover, that fuel rubber hoses can crack & leak & may catch engine on fire.  Note not trying to alarm you and fellow Clipper owners, just have the fuel line checked. I will try & snap a few photos of my steel line hook-up.
The fuel line from gas tank I think is 5/16" & Carb inlet takes 3/8" so I added a coupler from 3/8" to 5/16".. Hope this makes since.  If you send me a PM with you e-mail or phone # I can explain a little better.
Regards,
Joe & Denise
[/quote]

That is a big problem with the big block Clippers and other Dodge MH's. I got rid of the stock exhaust manifolds(which happened to be cracked) and put on a set of Hedman headers. Then I put on a long heat resistant sheath similar to the one race guys put over their spark plug boots. Both of these really improved on the heat issue and any vapor lock issue or gas line heating up issue. I also LOVE the Thermo quad carbs, to me they are a much better carb than the Edelbrocks. You just have to find a guy who knows how to rebuild the right and tweek them. Since I have done these mods I have had 2 years of NO problems(I know I just Jinxed myself).

Mark

Clipper Joe

Hi Mark,
Great reply.. 8)
What type mileage do you get with Thermquad?
I have Read in Forum between 6-11 mpg
Do You notice what you get out of headers besides less heat in Doghouse, Which is very important!!!

*********************************************************************************

Do you have Data on the Headers, Also did you have them ceramic coated inside & outside or did you Wrap them with that super high temp. Stuff?
Are you running a crossover pipe or what size tail pipes & Mufflers?

Is it possible to get a few Photos?

Thanks,
Joe & Denise

1977 Dodge Clipper Rear kitchen 440ci
ACOC#3749

WallyDawg

Hey Joe,

I used the Hedman Elite series header #79820, they are ceramic coated and fit nicely. Don't use the header wrap, it holds in moisture and rusts them out.  I will try to get some pics for you. I did not change my mufflers yet, I was planning on that soon. My mileage is at 8 and I know this to be on the money, since I ran out of gas 2 years ago (gas gauge not working) on our first long trip. I thought I had the big 50 gal. tank...uhm NO, I have the 36 gal. tank. My wife wasn't too thrilled with me at the time. I have since fixed gauge (actually it was the float). My Clipper has 111k on it, I don't know if it's a newer engine or not, she runs great. I did put a tranny in it when I bought it. I rescued this Clipper!

WallyDawg

* Then I put on a long heat resistant sheath similar to the one race guys put over their spark plug boots. *

When I posted this I forgot to say I put the sheath over the fuel line that runs up along the side of the engine and close to the stock exhaust. It just helps to keep fuel cooler.

Mark

bulldog 1995

100,000 miles is nothing to these rigs, the drivetrain should last well past 200,000

the Dodge 440-3 is a industrial version of the 440. which means it will easily see in exess of 200,000 miles with regular servicing. the 727 torque-flight Trans is the weak link. as long as you service it properly (change its filter and flush every 20-30,000 miles per the owners manual) it will last 200-250,000 miles
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

satorizero

Hi guys, sorry for my late late response, been trying to deal with rv stuff and what not.

So to ClipperJoe: What type of oil does this thing need? I got some Pennzoil High Mileage 10W-30 for my 2000 Jeep Cherokee and some filter (idk what brand) from O Reilly and the lady said I could use the same oil...?
And about the fuel line, is it that 2-3 inch little thick hose on the mid left side of this pic http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/satorizero/440/20130603_095639_zps31ebc979.jpg? Or this pic at the bottom http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/satorizero/440/20130603_095611_zps631938c0.jpg ? If so then what type of hose do I replace it with? Thanks again for your help. (We can reply on here for others as well, or I can pm you/call you if you want if its easier, lemme know)

Thanks retrorob for the fitting info.

@WallyDawg I should probably get that heat shield for the plug wires as well then... and is the fuel line youre talking about the same one me and ClipperJoe are talking about?

@bulldog 1995 Ok great man, thanks... I was worried I bought somethin' that would break down sooner than Id want :P

p.s. what type of fuel does this thing use? I pumped it full of regular unleaded when I bought it, never thought twice if it needed Diesel or leaded or anything else :o

Thanks again for all your replies guys/ looking forward to hear more from ya

bulldog 1995

this looks like a fuel line

the other is a vac line.

as for the oil I run 10-30 in the summer and 10-40 in the winter as its a little thinner and easier for the oil pump to move when it get's cold out. if you live in the southern half of the US you can run 10-30 year round. I also put Lucus Oil Staibilizer in every oil change, it eliminates dry starts after the engine has been sitting for a while

satorizero

Awesome bulldog thanks for the quick reply, you guys ate great :D
Yea so im in southern cali... So 10w-30 and heat wraps it is!  oh and how many quarts does it need? Thank you thank you

Clipper Joe

Hello Satorizero,

I Use Castrol GTX Syn-Blend SAE 10w-30wt, I Have 1977 Dodge 440-3 V-8  it takes 6 Qts. Oil With Filter.I Always Buy 1 Qt. To Keep As A Spare If Needed, My Engine Has Less Than 700 Miles On It.
I Use Mobil 1 Oil Filter # M1-204 Filter. I Change Oil If Hard Driving each $3,000 - 5,000 Miles. Check Oil Each Trip, & Before Returning Home From Trips. Also Note: Some Oil Mfg. Recommend Changing Engine Oil  Each Year Due To Excess Water Contaminates.

I Thing It Is Mostly A Selling Point To Use High Mileage Oils, Or Winter / Summer Grades Ie 10/40 Summer & 10/30 Winter, You Live In So. Calif. You Could Use 20/50 If You Feel Like It.
I Think Most Older Big Block Mopar Owners Use Sae 10/30 Wt.

Getting To Fuel Line, It Is With The Excess Heat In Doghouse Engine Compartment The Heat Rots & Cracks Fuel Line, That Makes It Leak, Hence Bad Engine Fire :-[  Just Install A New Fuel Injection Hose. Each Year Or Inspect When Any Signs Of Wear/ Cracking Is Noted.

My Fuel Tubing Line Is Piped To Carb. No Rubber Fuel Line, Only Under Clipper At Fuel Filter By Tank.
Since Fuel Cost A Lot Now, Most Owners Use Lower - to Med Grades 87-89  I Use 91 Prem. New Rebuild Engine, Will Let Valves Seat In & Brake In Then May Put A Lower Grade, I Try Find Cheapest Station, Costco, Safeway Gas  etc.

Can Any Other Clipper Owner Respond On Gas Grades, I Know on My Dodge Fleetwood 1973 Tioga RV 360 V-8 I Used Reg 87 Octane. I Think It Is If You Have The Extra Money You Can Spare.

There Is Some Posts From A Older Clipper Owner, Who Sadly Passed On, His Name Was Bob From Up North, Try & Read Old Posts There Is A Vast Amount Of Old Info On This Forum. He Was A Great Clipper Owner & I Talked To Him In 2002 When I Bought Our Clipper & Was Very Helpful..

If You Need Some More Info Please PM Me Or Leave Me Your Phone # I Can Call & Share Info.

Joe

ACOC#3749

bulldog 1995

As the motor runs the pistons wear on the cylinder walls as they rock on their wrist pins. Creating an oval bore instead of the round one they where built with. This happens regardless of what oil you use.

The high mileage oils have additives that helps fill the groves and gaps created. thereby increasing engine compression and reducing blow-by. Lucus Oil Stabilizer does the same thing with an added bonus, it bonds with the engines metal parts and stays there without draining back into the oil pan like the normal oil does.

I've been building engines for over 30 years, owned and operated a 17 bay repair shop, and have 3 pro-stock modified national championships to my name.

I remember a customer that had us rebuild the motor in his MGB for him. We always used Lucus assembly lube when we rebuilt motors along with the oil stabilizer in all oil changes. about 2 mths after he picked the car up, he calls me to set up a time to rebuild the motor again! Turns out his wife had the car out and when she went over some railroad tracks, she ripped off the oil pan and then drove the car 15 miles home WITH NO OIL IN THE ENGINE! I'm expecting to completely rebuild the motor. we opened it up and found NO INTERNAL DAMAGE TO THE MOTOR! we replaced the oil pump and pan, re-installed the motor, and returned the car to the customer. that was 15 years ago and as far as I know the car is still on the road with that same build of the motor.

You should change the oil in your Clipper every 3 months or 3000 miles  whatever comes first. these motors were designed and built using 10w30 oil and that is what should go into them. NEVER USE 50W OIL! It's for high-reving/high compression motors and is much to thin for these old units and will eventually result in engine failure!