News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

She's mine: 1978 Clipper 21'

Started by kenmel, February 04, 2013, 10:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

Topping for Kenmel - some photos of your clipper. :)
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

kenmel

Woohoo lol I am back ladies and gentleman. Please save your applause for after the show... Enjoy. Ken
Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805

kenmel

I will posting updated pics in the next few days. Ken

Sfine

Nice rig, your going to love it more as you spend more time I it ! 
One little fun "project" if the previous owners haven't done...exchange all of your interior bulbs to LEDs.  I am told it makes the battery life difference between hours to days. There are many more once you start replacing...you can find them fairly reasonable on line.  I've also added belt pads on the screen door and places that might rattle in transit. Once you live in it, you'll find more honey do stuff to play with. My biggest challenge was keeping the 440 motor heat under the doghouse and not in The cockpit . Lots of heat reflective material under carpet and motor hood cover, exhaust wraps, and better ventilation thru the grill .   
Just enjoy!!!!
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

kenmel

I have had it for 2 yrs lol. I mess with it every week doing something small. It is in like new condition inside and out, all I had to do was add a flatscreen lol. I spend most of my time trying to find 16 " wheels from a mid 80's dually so I can get tires a little cheaper for it. I really only need to replace the 2 wires and ignition module and I can go camping tomorrow lol. It has had all the engine and trans parts replaced or rebuilt and I have triples of everything except belts and I have 6 of those. I have already put Dynomat inside the doghouse and it was all I needed, You can by the same stuff for a third of the price at lowes though, it just doesn't have their name on it. It was stored indoors since bought new in 78 and I bought it from the 2nd owner who had it for 6 months. He put new tires, fridge, and a brand new generator in it and the roof resealed and i have full documentation for everything. I would have already ran the wires but am lazy lol. I do know I am  going to pull the old tv antenna off of it since all signals are digital now and it is useless lol. Sitting inside it, it looks new. I do need to repaint the wheel on the spare tire but I think I am just going to have it blasted and powdercoated for 30 bucks lol. LED's are down the road Ken

kenmel

Well this is the culprit behind the Clipper backfiring, the last 2 wires on the right shorted and burned, and melted the connector, so far it seems to be just those 2:

kenmel

and this little box here is the cause of the burnt wires and connector, luckily I have a brand new one in the Clipper, wish I could say the same for the engine wiring harness so I get to do some rewiring, think I am going to take the suggestion to use the GM Weatherpack connector when I replace it since these are as rare as hens teeth and those can be found at any NAPA. Ken

Clipper Joe

Hi Ken,
Was There A Fuse Inline, Should Blow First.
There Is On EBay A Wire Harness For Engine Bay Nos.
The Guy Had 2 Of Them. For 78 Dodge B300.
Cost I Think $186.00

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Clipper Joe

Ken,
Photos Are Alittle Dark, Sometimes, I Hold Flashlight On Part Then Snap Pic.
I'll Try & See On Computer, Instead Of IPhone. :)
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

kenmel

LOL that is what happens when you take a pic at 2am with a lighter trying to show someone what you are looking for without going on a search for my flashlight lol. Joe, No inline fuses, and the wiring harnesses I have found on ebay, most of them are the headlight harness, I have only found one main engine harness, I did find a few places that sell new ones and some NOS though, waiting to hear back from them. With just the 2 wires and connector burnt it is just going to be easier to use the new wiring I have and replace the stock connector that is hard to find with the Weatherpaks that I can find anywhere. I will have to use a 6 pin and a 3 pin but that means I will be able to also isolate the wires that I replace from the others in there. I will probably replace all the 33 year old connectors with them in the next few years. Ken