News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

California smog referee update

Started by Hank Jourdin, February 24, 2012, 02:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Jourdin

Just thought I would let you all know the score is California 4 Hank 0, sip, nota!!!    I finally had an appointment with the smog referee to today, everything was going well in tell he spot a throttle return control that was missing from the side of the carb. That blew it right there< FAILED>, now I have to try an locate a throttle return control for a Thermoquad. Also my gas cap did not fit properly, must replace it, <FAILED>!!
  If anyone has an extra throttle return control I would be interested in it!!!!   Everything else passed, emission test <PASSED>. At least there is no charge for all of this Monkey Motion, only 8.25 for the cert. when it does PASS.  Of course I may not be able to buy fuel when that day comes, but I'm going to score one of these days!!!!  Get her fixed, make another appointment and try again!  Hey John how far are you from Hebo Oregon?   Hank Out!!!!!

LARRY RAY

Here in Texas I've never heard of anything called a throttle return anything. Give me better info of what exactly is and if I have one, I'll mail it to you for free.  Anything to beat the feds. Besides that:  If we get what we have for 4 more years the only thing you can do anyway is let it idle in the drive, turn on the AC and drink beer. Oh you might toot the horn every now and then just to aggravate the neighbors.  Post here or mail me at email listed here.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Hank Jourdin

Hey Larry Ray,   
            I think what the guy is referring to is a vacuum operated throttle stop, that controls RPM deceleration. It holds the carb open just a little bit as rpm's drop and then releases entirely to allow the motor to idle.  I looked in my manual but could not find one for a thermoquad.  I'm not sure they even have such an animal!!!  Thank you for the reply on this matter, Your a probably right about the driveway adventure!!!
                Hank Out!

Hank Jourdin

Hey Larry,
        The correct name for the part is , Vacuum Trottle Positioner.  By what ever name you call it thats what they say I need!!! It's suposed to protect the catalytic converter or speed sensor on deceleration. Only  trouble is I don't have a catalytic converter and I don't know of any speed sensor!!   I think the guy is wrong and it should be exempt.   Another piece of paper, and the wheel goes round and round!!!  Hank Out!

pop427

Hank, Have you tried the auto parts store? I have boxes and boxes of left over carb parts from when I had the Dyno Tune shop. It might take me a couple hours of digging to find one if I have one so please check the parts stores first.
You should be able to get a print out of what your vehicle needs from the Ref. Be sure you have the GVW right. That makes a lot of difference iin what is required many times.

Doug in Big Ditch.......

Hank Jourdin

Hey Pop427,
     Thanks for the come back on the throttle positioner.  I got one through the B.A.R. Smog parts hot line.   They specialize in putting you away with expensive used smog parts!!! For that little vacuum unit with the bracket it was a mer 85.00 plus tax and 12.00 to ship it!!!  Now I must find the correct locking gas cap to satisfy the referee. `The score still remains State of California 4, Hank 0 !!!!  Hey John Eversoll how far from Hebo Oregon are you???   Thaks again POP427 !!! Hank Out.

pop427

Wow, $85.  Sounds like I have some boxes of very valuable parts.  LOL

With scrap iron paying 12 to 15 cents a pound I have been cleaning up and clearing out a bunch of old heads, manifolds and blocks. The high scrap iron prices just make the cost of used parts go up because they crush and scrap out more older vehicles. I have had to repair/weld and restore a couple of hard to find manifolds for people in just the last few weeks.

Back to work on my streamliner for Bonneville now.

Doug in big ditch

Hank Jourdin

Hey POP427,
          Here we go again, As I find out the vacuum throttle positioner is only one part of many components that make up the parts of the smog system that are missing.  See If you have any of this stuff!!!
#1 electronic speed switch Bolts to the fire wall.
#2 Vacuum solenoid delay valve
#3 Throttle lever tab for a Thermo-quad ( bolts on the butterfly shaft, choke pull down side, Vacuum throttle positioner pushes against it to hold throttle open for a timed delay, then comes down to an idle as the vacuum decreases. 
          Do you have any Data on this? Everything I have been able to find out about this system is that it is all to protect the catalytic converter from unburned fuel vapor entering the converter. My 1977 never had a catalytic converter.  So my question is why should I have a system to protect something I don't have? The referee saw these items on the under hood vacuum diagram that someone had colored in with colored
pencil, routing the vacuum lines.  None of these parts were there he says they should be.  If you could be of any help I would be very thankful!!!   Hank Out!  P.S. still 4 to O

John Eversoll

How doo de doo neighbor,

John here,  Well, to answer your question of where the hell am I "

I am in Klamath Falls County...  "Chiloquin Oregon to be exact"

I am five miles from hwy 97 ...  If ya really want to see where I live just google in Old Korral rd in Chiloquin Oregon....
That will give you a real good idea.
Nice and quiet..
I am going to put in a couple of hook ups for my friends to spend the night or weekend..
If you feel you would like to come up this way you are wellcome "but the road to my place is NOT paved.....take care, John

Hank Jourdin

Hank scored some points today, for what it's worth!!!  I went to the bone yard and found all the parts I need to fix this smog problem for less than 25.00 dollars. So I think we can update the score!!
     California Smog Referee 4 Hank 1    I'am breathin down there necks though!!   Hank Out!

pop427

Hank, Glad you got the parts you needed. My computer hard drive crashed and I'm just now getting back on line with the new one. I did learn a lesson and now have a 1TB external hard drive and a scheduled back up.

Doug