News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Diesel Clipper?

Started by retrorob, December 30, 2011, 07:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrorob

I've been toying with the idea of installing a Cummings 4 valve diesel in my clipper. I am in the early stages of investigating the feasibility of this swap. The thought of close to twenty MPG sparks the interest. Has anyone out there looked into this?
The early Cummings in the Dodge trucks, 1989 say,  had mechanical fuel injection(I.E. no electronics to deal with). They mated these to 727 torqueflights so the trans swap should be bolt and go deal. I am wondering about the overall height of the engine. Will it physically fit into the engine bay of the cab? I need to check into the weight of the engine, the clipper is overloaded as it is.
Anyway, any input you all might have would be appreciated.
Thanks,Rob.
PS: the project might give me the material for "My clipper saga part four".

bulldog 1995

I've been looking at the same thing only going with a newer setup. I'm planning to compleatly rewire the rig so a few more wires is no big deal.

I am looking at a 02 Ram 3500 with DRWs that was T-boned and only 40k on the odo so all systems are in good shape. Planning to keep the harness, front suspension and rear axle, engine and 4sp with od trans. To drop all into my 77.

the Cummins is smaller in mass then the 440 that I currently have in the Clipper, so I don't expect to many headaches on the install. plus the truck has a gvw of around 14000 so I am gaining room in that regard       
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

LARRY RAY

I too have toyed with the same idea. I still come back to the rpm problem. The torque would be great just can't seem to see the diesel turning that fast. Hope I'm wrong
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

retrorob

After doing some research the cummins weighs three hundred pounds more than the 440. The cummins is 40 inches tall. I question whether the the thing will clear the cowl, not to mention actually getting it into the bay. I have noticed the cross member is bolted in so maybe the way to install is from underneath. I need to do more research. More to follow........
Rob

John Eversoll

With all the effort and time and money that you are going to put into this thing.

why not just bore out the 440  put sodium valves in it and then put it back in the rig.

Save yourself the head ach............

retrorob

I was just looking into the feasibility of a diesel swap. The more I look into it the more it appears to be a waste of time.  I wonder if a 426 hemi and a roots blower......................

bulldog 1995

it all depends on your skillset and your ambition as to wether its worth it or not.

Me, I look at the 40mpg the cummins rams see on the hwy and after some very rough math estimate that it will get ~25-27 mpg in the clipper body with the full banks kit and I will have 500hp and 500 lb ft of torque at my command. That will make getting this ol' girl up those mountians pretty easy.  8)

As for any mods nessesary to make it fit into the bay on this thing, I use to build custom cars and trucks so that wont be a problem  ;D 
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

Rodney

Quote from: retrorob on January 09, 2012, 03:37:49 PM
I was just looking into the feasibility of a diesel swap. The more I look into it the more it appears to be a waste of time.  I wonder if a 426 hemi and a roots blower......................

you would run into more clearance issues on the top end  with the larger hemi heads they are much wider than the 440. Just not much room under the dog house.

building a hemi cost much more than a 440

we race 440 base engines and with a stroked 440 to a 500 cu we get 600 hp
my 572 cu in 830 hp 4 1/2 bore 4 1/2 stroke

if I had the money I'd build a 500 or even a 540 cu in and re power my clipper and make a torque monster engine to drag that heavy beast around.

I am quite pleased with how the fresh 440 runs now nothing real special try Y headers RV cam aluminum intake and now I have a Q- jet for a carb. Still experimenting with Carbs Fuel injection would also be a "sweet" way to go.

http://rodgregg.com/63_dodge.htm

http://rodgregg.com/

retrorob

I was just kidding about the hemi. I will stick with the 440. It only has 57000 original miles. I was just kicking around the diesel idea. I agree that you can swap anything into anything but sometimes you have to stand back and ask yourself "yes, it doable but is it practical". For me, not practical. I'll spend my time on my AMXs.

John Eversoll

Hello, Just remember even if it reads 57,0000 there might be a   "1 " in front of that

Plus, the guy that rebuilt my 440 informed me that an Rv engine is Not the same as a car motor..

with the stress of the weight and the heat  the damage is much worse than a car motor.

what reads 57,000 could really 90,000 due to the stress and the load it has been pulling..
Don't for get the heat in that closed dog house is cooking that motor ...Not only you....