News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

New Member, but long time Clipper owner

Started by Bob G, June 06, 2011, 01:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Hi,
I guess that I have procrastinated long enough, so I recently joined the club. My wife, Kathy, and I bought our Clipper new in 1979. We have about 100k miles on it. Its a Chevy 400 cid small block, rear kitchen model. We've been cross country twice and took a long trip through south Canada from Glacier National Park west to Vancouver. Lots of other trips. I've spent that last year refurbishing the truck. Added a heavy duty rear sway bar, Monroe rear air shocks, front air bags inside the coil springs, replaced all of the running lights with LEDs (tired of fixing the lights every year.) I put on chrome valve covers that are thicker in the gasket area than the original oil leakers. Replaced the instrument cluster with a 1986 cluster and installed mechanical oil pressure, water temp, and volt meter into the dash. Also added a deep oil pan and FRANZ toilet paper filters on both the engine oil and transmission oil systems. Already had a deep transmission oil pan. Last year I said good bye to that old 8-track tape player and put in a new Hi-Def AM/FM stereo CD player, with power booster system. Anybody want an 8-track player? :<)

I have had almost no trouble with the Clipper, except the bottom of the engine blew out (still under the 12,000 mile factory warranty). Chevy replaced the engine with a rebuilt block, but used my original heads. A couple on months later the head gaskets blew. Chevy put in a complete new engine and not a minute of trouble with it (since 1980), not counting normal tuneups and such.

Maybe we'll run into some of you along the road sometime. Take care. Bob & Kathy Garfinkle from Union City, CA (About 45 miles north of the original Clipper factory.)

John Eversoll

Hi guys, Sounds like you have been going thru just about the same thing as I did...

I have the 77 with the rear kitchen. But the rig has the 440..  I had it rebuilt from Orange engine
in Anaheim Ca. Now that I have moved up here to Oregon, I wont need any "HOPE" mechanical work
I ditched the Air compressor. (It never really worked) and it doesn't get so hot and it is easier
to work on the engine when ever I need to.   "But the walls will be replaced with New panneling,
the fridge needs to be replaced and the kitchen will get a make over as well.. I am tireed of hitting my head on the over head cupboard.. The bathroom sink has GOT TO GO!!!!  I have reupholstered the couch and the captains chairs "Party model"
But when everything is done here The wife and I are going to start making our way
around the country. Take care and Keep in touch..   John