News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Rainy day pictures

Started by Hank Jourdin, February 21, 2010, 12:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Eversoll

Oh I wish I still had my 34 dodge pick up..

440 dana 60  and an 18" drive shaft

Wha a ride///  John

Hank Jourdin

Hey Jerry T.    Thats quite a list of question you have, I think your pullin my leg about the bumper,but here goes. To remove the front bumper remove the grill first. There are  eight 7/16-14 11/16 hex head bolts to remove there a 4 bolts on top and 4 on the bottom. There are 2 bolts on each side on top and the same on the bottom. Remove all the bolts and pull the bumper away from the body, it fit kind of snug. Don't drop it on your foot it's heavy. You might soak the bolts with liquid wrench if there real rusty and get a breaker bar after them. The trans cooler is an after market made for motor home heavy duty cooler go to www derale.com , there you can look at all that is offered and it will tell you how everthing works.This is how mine is setup, the first thing to do is disconnect the trans cooler from the raditior and cap the fittings on bottom of raditior. The front trans line is the hi-preasure line, run a line over to a ph-8 oil filter spin on type manifold, connect it to the inlet port. before this port I added a small manifild setup that the trans fluid goes through it's where there is a heat sending unit for the trans. That way you can see the temp of the fluid that was just used. The cooler has it's own thermostat which controls a relay that goes to ground to turn it on a 180 degrees and off at 170 degrees. I add a signal light on the dash that comes on when the cooler comes on, so I know  when it comes on and shuts off. I also ran an overide switch mounted on my dash under the tank switch so I can turn it on and off just in case the thermostat sould fail. All the manifolds and filter are mounted on the driverside frame rail across from the trans. Next run a line from the outlet port of the oil filter over to the trans cooler inlet port which is mounted on passengers side frame rail. Next run the last line to the back fitting on the trans to complete the circut from the out port on the trans cooler  ran out of room  Hank Jourdin

Horst

taking off the bumper? - a MAJOR pain in the ass (for me it was at least)
took me freaking half a day! (well almost!)

also, years ago, I had to leave a nice bumper on a Van (wrecking yard) because I was having such hellish time trying to get it off - frozen bolts, nut heads semi-stripped, etc., I started using bad language.....then gave up.......and went home pissed.....with bloody knuckles............grrr!!
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

Hank, Did you do that in one breath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If so, you type fast....

Take a deep  breath Grasshopper........

John

JerryT

Front bumper
OK, now I see, there are 8 weld nuts in the body, 4 top and 4 bottom to accept the bumper bolts. I was looking in the wrong place. Also up here in Rustville, weld nuts are bad news unless you can get to the back side to apply some serious heat, have 6 sided sockets and a good quality impact wrench. As a rule of thumb, around here, penetrating oil is used by people that have a lot of time and don't have an oxy/acc torch ;)

Thanks for getting me set straight on this.
JerryT

Hank Jourdin

Hey Jerry T. That channel you saw was someones dream as a sway bar setup that didn't work. It was a real eye stoper, weighed about 100 lbs with torque arms, giant u=bolts , clamps,& broken brackets. What you see is the part of the dream I was left with cause it was welded on. Got rid of a least 75 lbs though. The a/c unit ia 134-a it works very well, it will  bolt on fairly easy with a couple of  easy made brackets & you can use the stock belts. Gets real cold on a hot day, like John says "you could hang Meat". I bought the parts from Southern Rods & Parts, compressior, condenser & dryer, and used the stock expansion valve. If you have question they have a tech info line 864-848-0601. All the hose ends I bought and made up my own hoses. Got rid of a lot of weight with that twin piston boat anchor. All the parts are made in China but they work well and have a good warranty .The alternator is just like the one you have only its a 100 amp , bolts right on for about 100 bucks.What type trans fluid are you using? Use type F and change the oil & filter every 5,000 miles on your o/drive. A stock 727 trans hold 10 quarts with the deep pan & extra oil filter mine holds 13 quarts. If your fluid is turnin brown & smells change it. I have a # of co's that have after market grills. check Street Rodder Mag. They have adds for everthing except maps to John's house. I tried to post this last night,but Horst posted at the same time and I lost everthing so I had to write it again. But I have learned how to paste since then. hope I didn't miss anything good luck Hank Jourdin

JerryT

Hi Hank
A home made rear anti sway bar, now I have heard it all. I must be taking the corners too slow or something ???
My Clipper is a 78/78 and the A/C is still going strong as of last year. The heater core started to smell a little antifreezy a while back so I did the Moroso all weather ceramic seal and followed up with the Bars ginger root pellets. I looked in the factory service manual on how to change the heater core, it was not pretty. Grill, hood, bumper, radiator, core support, ect ect. If I ever do it I am going to re-do the A/C at the same time. I have used those old V pumps as an air compressor. I have one on an old power wagon. She will pump 100#+ no problem. I helped my dad build one for his shop with an electric motor. Just keep the crankcase full of oil and I think they will run for about ever. Was 78 or 79 the last year for them? I am looking for an old grill for my 35, if I buy ONE new part for it, well you know what happens next, total re-do, mega bucks, time intensive, then the reward---afraid to drive it because "it's too nice"--But we do it anyway ;)
Take care
JerryT

Hank Jourdin

Hey Jerry T. I know what ya mean. my 33 has hardly left the garage in the last few years, cause when your drive down the road it's like there aiming at you or something. Mine is all steel and not replaceable. I have it insured for 35,000.00 and you have to get it apraised before they will insure it. Same with my 41 plymouth I'am insurance poor.I will keep and eye out and an ear to the wind for you.   Hank Jourdin

John Eversoll

Hey Hank, I just heard about some insurance that

will only cost you $1,000 a year

for full coverage on any Rod!!!!   as  Long as it is garaged.  Plus can only be driven

25 times a year.   I will dig into it for you if you want..

John