News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

A generator question for Jerry T

Started by Hank Jourdin, January 15, 2010, 06:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Jourdin

Hey Jerry, I noticed a new post from Mr.Sims on 76 Clipper Intro.  There are some pictures of his newly purchased rig. If you take a close look at the pictures you can see a solenoid bolted on the front just above the raditior. When I got my rig it had the same looking setup. Mine had wires running everywhere some were connected some were not. They ran from the starter solenoid for the motor to that solenoid on the front end and from there some went to a relay then wires went through the fire wall to the fuel tank switch. One large wire feed back to the generator and connected to another solnoid on the generator. I am not sure if anything was hooked up right or not. You could start the generator fromt the inside  pannel but not from the start stop switch on the onan generator its self. It looked like it might have been hooked up to start off the house battery. I have completely rewired the motor,  installed all 12 volt gauges  with 2 seperate fuel gauges 1 for each tank with a seperate switch to change tanks Can you tell me how this generator is suposed to be wired so it starts from the 440 starter battery and how its suposed to be wired at the generator and hooked up to the house battery.Other than that everthing is just peachee thanks for any help you might be able to offer !!  Hank Jourdin

JerryT

Hi Hank
I have my Onan 2800 (newer) connected to my house battery. If I run that battery down so far that it will not start the generator, I then turn my Dodge key to run, that connects the house battery to the start battery via energizing  the solenoid/battery isolator (like Mr Sims) and then I have enough power to start the generator. If you wanted the generator connected to the engine battery then I would get the power from the starter lug, or I could get it from the + side of the battery or even at the battery isolator. My generator cares not where it gets it's 12v from, my Onan remote start draws it's power from the generator, and when my generator is running it charges the house battery via the Clippers built in 120v power converter/battery charger. I do not believe that my generator provides/makes 12v when running for battery charging thus the 12v connection is for starting and stopping  the generator only. I have never had the old Onan generator so if I missed something please re-ask so maybe someone else could jump in here. Sounds like you have got a lot done, is your LIST getting shorter or longer :D
P.S. I have mine mounted underneath, here are some pics, this is a good shot of my rear leveler too.
JerryT

Hank Jourdin

Hey Jerry T. Thanks for the quick come back, Did your rig come with a genset or did you install it later in your quest of a never ending hobby.  As far as my list getting longer or shorter I would say some where in the middle  on a good day and never ending on a bad day, no what I mean. One of these days I"ll get my grandson to take some pictures and post them. Meanwhile if anyone can trace down how this Onan 4000 is wired it would save me a ton of time .    Thanks a Lot Hank Jourdin

JerryT

Hi Hank
My rig did not come with a genset, it was pre-wired (120v) for the genset. I was able to use a modern smaller lighter unit that was designed to be mounted under the floor thus leaving my side compartment open for storage. My generator is a 5 wire set up, the first 2= 12v + & - the next 3 are 120v hot, neutral, and ground. My remote start is plug and play. The install manual stressed the importance of bonding the Clipper body with the electrical system. My Clipper power panel was bonded from the factory but I bonded the genset also. My Clipper had 2 romex wires under the floor from the battery/converter area to the power cord door area. One wire was connected to the 30 amp power cord and was connected to the panel at the other end. The other wire was to be connected to the genset and the other end was connected to a matching 30 amp power outlet behind the power cord door. When the generator was running the 30 amp outlet was hot. If you wanted the use the power from that outlet all you had to do was plug the power cord into that outlet. I installed an automatic transfer switch so I did not have to plug and unplug. I also installed a power cord reeler that winds up my cord via a 12v motor. This saves a bunch of space and gives me more storage. The wires under the floor can be pulled out if you wanted to. I used one as a pull wire so I could add a couple of circuits to the street side of the rig. So, is my Clipper a never ending hobby? I think I just like tailoring it to my wants and needs only limited by money, time, and my abilities. In real estate we call it over improved ;)
Here are pics of the inside of my dinette bench, We use the clothes basket for storage on the way out and dirty clothes on the way back. The water pump is in the middle and the reeler and transfer switch are on the outside wall.
JerryT

JerryT

Here are pics from the Power Wagon rally in Fairfield Iowa this past June. Chrysler brought out the pre-production 2010 Power Wagon for us to see. I brought my green 1935 Dodge KCL to share. and a random pic showing a 1/2 ton, a 3/4 ton and a m37.
JerryT

Hank Jourdin

Hey Jerry,   Thanks for the info, your genset is underneath in the back, so How many fuel tanks have you got . I have 2 36 in front & 50 gallons in the rear , No room for a genset there. Mine is on the passenger side . I just recently droped both tanks replaced both sending units with later  s/w  senders And gauages that was a ruff job. While I had the tanks out I sistered the frame rail extensions with 2" x 4" x 3/16" thick  box steel , And installed a trailer hitch. The bumper was junk so I made one from 2" X 5" X 3/16 wall box steel. Made a spare tire holder that bolts to the center of the bumper. The real killer was pulling the rear end out. It's a daina 60 ,I replaced all bearings ring & pinion, carrier, and wheel bearigs. I welded a cross member between the frame rails made some better brackets to hold the air bags to be alot stronger. I changed all fuel lines, brake lines,and installed a backup booster fuel pump. I could go on and on it's and on going project! It sounds like your and old Chrysler man Like myself. I have a 1933 dodge 2 door sedan with a 318 all Chrysler drive train, 1941 Plymouth coupe  383 all Chrysler drive train, and a 1951 Austin England 440 powered all Chrysler drive train and of course the never ending A/clipper.  Thank again Hank Jourdin

JerryT

I would rather think of my self as a "Long Time" Chrysler fan :D Here are more rally pics!
JerryT
I have just 1, the 50 gallon.

Hank Jourdin

Hey all you clipper fans ,  Someone out there must have some experience with the Onan 4000 genset wiring start stop setup. How about it John E. your to quite , is yours setup with a genset? your close to where I live. Thanks Hank Jourdin