News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

'76 Clipper Intro

Started by MrSims, January 15, 2010, 11:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSims

Picked up a '76 clipper with 47k miles on the 440ci for $1,200. I race offroad trucks and plan to haul the family and the race truck with the Clipper.

Cleaning and updating the interior then painting the outside.

As she sits now..

Getting re-upholstered and painting the inside with pergo floors. Repairing the floor rot.

mccammonds

Welcome aboard.
Usually plenty of knowledge and experience floating around in the forum. 
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

MrSims

Thanks! Im hoping to see if anyone else has towed anything with a clipper?

mccammonds

Our first experience of towing behind  our 1975 360cc 821F was the largest trailer the U-Haul has. We loaded it in Benson, AZ and pulled it through Nevada.  Over and through the Feather River canyon in Northern California.  Next year we towed the Suzuki Samurai on all four to the southwest desert for the winter.  Last fall we towed out Toyota on a tow dolly to western Kansas Through the Colorado Rockies and all the high passes on I-70 and back to northern California.  We are now back on the desert at Quartzsite.  We towed the Sammy back down this year.  If you have 440 cc you should not have any problems towing what ever you want to.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

MrSims

Awesome news! I plan to tow about 7,000lbs MAX. Any info on where to get a hitch? Mine doesn't have one.

John Eversoll

Hello mrsims,

I myself have towed my 71 Chevelle SS and the wifes Vw.  Not at the same time ..lol

You got a real good buy!!!!!!

It looks as if you can do an interior make over in any direction you want.

I too have the 440. Just remember that that 440 will take you up hills with nooooo

problem..  and going down hill she can get away from ya.  Like PD2 said in an earlier post

these rigs weren't to drive over 65..... But I have noticed that on long streachsI have climbed over 80...

then backed down.  In addition I have installed the besty mufflers that I could get as the 440 will blow out

the cheeeeeper mufflers on a down hill like the grapevine !!!! I had my 440 rebuilt and went from the

standard compression to 11 to 1 with a good Rv cam for gas savings.

I rebuilt the front end which was a breeze...I thought that I would have had problems but found none.

just do one side at a time. Just check the Lp line and make sure it is in good condition..

We ae all here for Us. Helpfull hints and common questions " what ever they are"

Horst and Jerry ae great!!!  PD2 has a great collection of helpfull hints too.

Good luck with th new rig and hope to hear ya from time to time on your updates!!  John :)

John Eversoll

Hi There rsims, I don't know where you are located but you can

try the Camping World"  or even UHaul.. I am in Orange County Calif.

"Anaheim"  I have everything at my disposal but lack the finance to finish the rig

until I get my $$$$$.  Just check the Rv stores.  Or even a few muffler shops..

" Hey jerry you reading this, If so isn't there something about frame sag to worrie about????

Let's help this guy !!!   

Take care Mrsims, I think that Jerry or Horst or PD2 an assist you from here on!!!

John E :) :)

cpcarroll

Hello MrSims
Welcome
Look at this for the hitch.
http://americanclipperownersclub.com/images/framesides.gif
Hope you have fun with the AC

Chuck

John Eversoll

Hey CP, That is some neet stuff.. I have never seen a DIAGRAM

of the hitch system...  Really kinda neet.. I will keep this for my files

Thanks!!!!   John

Horst

7000 lbs.............be SURE you build  the hitch properly - as in REALLY attached well to the main frame (not just the extension)
and, you can check out JerryT's set-up here
http://americanclipperownersclub.com/techforum/index.php?topic=1659.0

If you have heavy tongue weight, and a crappy hitch-set-up - you'll kill your Clipper frame before you can blink - and then you'll be really sad and have a nightmare fix-it project on your hands.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.