News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

LED Bulbs for tail/signal lights

Started by JeffM, September 06, 2009, 03:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffM

I have been looking at the new LED replacement bulbs for tail lights (1157 - stop/turn signal and 1156 -backup lights). The newer LED bulbs have a cluster of multiple LEDs that are supposed to be about twice as bright as regular bulbs -- Is anyone using LED lights instead of traditional bulbs? Are they worth the cost to replace?
Jeff Milligan
ACCOC #3632
milligan50@msn.com

JerryT

Hi Jeff
LED's must focus/point at the lens to work properly. My tail lights have the bulb 90 deg to the lens so I could not use them. Also, I helped a friend put a set in a 40 Ford and found that all are not made the same. Some are built to be used in series with other bulbs, some can only be used alone. The difference is if they have diodes inside and how many. The cheap ones do not. I have now seen LED's built with a 90 in them but I don't know if they have the double diode or not which is necessary for multiple lights, or if they will fit in the space behind the lens. Let us know what you find out. Also you may have to use a relay style flasher instead of the stock bi-metallic ones.
JerryT

John Eversoll

Hi Jerry, I reread this post this evening and was wondering about the "LED lights"

I purchesed five Led marker lights for the front and will let ya know how they turn out..

John

Patience

Quote from: JeffM on September 06, 2009, 03:47:41 PM
I have been looking at the new LED replacement bulbs for tail lights (1157 - stop/turn signal and 1156 -backup lights). The newer LED bulbs have a cluster of multiple LEDs that are supposed to be about twice as bright as regular bulbs -- Is anyone using LED lights instead of traditional bulbs? Are they worth the cost to replace?

I also plan to replace a led bulb for my tail light, signal light and headlights. I got some sites that tell me where to buy some best LED bulbs for my bike.
Check this out.  
http://led-manufacturer.chi-ming.com/Turn-Signals-Lights_-1156-LED-category-344.html.
Hope you will like this site too.

JerryT

Thanks Dave, good link, they have some 90deg bulbs that would work for taillights.

Let us know what you find out on those LED's. I am going to keep my old bulbs for now and let some one else do the learning. I like the soft glow of a incandescent light bulb on an undersized circuit in an over capacity application. ::) 

JerryT

jon

Quote from: Patience on December 07, 2010, 01:00:01 AM
Quote from: JeffM on September 06, 2009, 03:47:41 PM

I also plan to replace a led bulb for my tail light, signal light and headlights. I got some sites that tell me where to buy some best LED bulbs for my bike.
Check this out.  
http://led-manufacturer.chi-ming.com/Turn-Signals-Lights_-1156-LED-category-344.html.
Hope you will like this site too.

they make led headlights?

jon

Bob G

Hi,

I have installed new LED tail lights, side marker, turn signals, etc. The new taillights come in a smaller frame than our original set. I simply got tired of constantly fixing the originals bulbs. They came loose and then I had no taillights. I also got tired of replacing the top side marker bulbs as well. No real problem with the LED. They are expensive, but worth the headaches and the end of the yearly maintenance to keep the bulb system up and running.

JerryT

Hi Bob and Welcome!!!

It just keeps getting better doesn't it?  I like most new technology. As you have proved you can keep a Clipper on the road a long time if you are willing to maintain and update it some. I have looked at new fiberglass class C rigs and I think you would have to spend well over 70K to replace ours.

JerryT

USNRetired

Hey John, you posted in August last year about the LED marker lights and were going to let us know how they worked out.  What happened?  They work out okay?

Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

John Eversoll

Hi Jim, Yea, sorry I have been so busey I just loooooose track of what I am doing....

Yea, I did replace the upper Clearance lkight and they seem to do ok......

I am going to replace the brake and running  lights as soon as I can get caught up with my other chores.....
Later gater andf thanks for checking in !~!!!!!

USNRetired

Chores?  You didn't go and buy some livestock or poultry, did you?
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

John Eversoll

:)

Now that you mentioned it my daughter wants to raise chickens.....

I said no

Then it was I want to raise a cow....  I  said No

Then it was I want to get some goats.... I said I want you to get a job"

"she " hasn't said any more about an animal.........

She is looking for a job.....   Now I am getting worried!!!!