News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

79 clipper calls my driveway home

Started by Al Maden, August 06, 2009, 06:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Maden

Hi All,
We purchased a 1979 clipper on the 15th of July, left on a trip on the 17th after changing the oil and checking all the levels and air and doing a quick run of water and coach lights. We left Tonasket, Wa in North Central part of state. Made it to Chehalis, Wa which is in South Western quadrant of State, where Gandalf ( chosen Name, he is kinda classy) decided to leave his old alternator in exchange for new shiny one. After a family reunion in the Chehalis area, we were off to the coast, Westport Wa. Spent a few days lounging around the beach, in almost perfect weather. Drove back to Tonasket without so much as a whisper of trouble, in fact stopped and charged the cab AC on the way. So the only trouble Gandalf gave us other than the alternator was the escape hatch cover disintegrated and the fridge didn't ever work, we lived from an ice chest, which worked ok. The hatch was covered with a plastic tub from walmart, connected to the hinge from old cover and a single screw holding the back. Necessity being the mother of invention. After 1000 mile trip the wife (Terrie) the dog RD (red dog) and myself are all very pleased with Gandalf and his performance, climbed the passes at hwy speed without heating in 100 plus degree weather and made us quite comfortable during our trip, except for changing the alternator in a parking lot. LOL. I Found this site after returning home, there were manuals from the club in a drawer in Gandalf. This is a wonderful site and we have joined the club and even received our welcome package and number already.
Al, Terrie and RD

John Eversoll

:)  WELLL-- Howdy New member!!!!!

We have all been there at one time or another!!!!

I am in the middle of a make over on our 77. Our fridge died and am going top install an electric
fridge. Taking down the crappy wall panneling and installing new paneling.
Plus rebuilding the over head hatch area frame.  Lots of new stuff motor and trans.
Yada yada yada.  Feel free to ask any questions from the pros like "Horst and Jerry"
They seem to have all the right answers..
Take care New member!!!!

John Eversoll

Al Maden

Hi John,
Thanks for the welcome. From reading the forum, I feel quite lucky about the condition of Gandalf. The interior is in good shape, except for the overhead cupboard doors, they have had a contact paper/fabric put on and it is bubbled and not all that attractive, so that will have to change. The windows need some hardware replaced to keep them closed tightly and that fridge, but have found a company that does only RV refrigerator repair and can get a refurbished unit with ours traded in for $300. so that is probably the way I will go. Inside and out it is very clean for the age. Looking forward to the next trip already. I hope in time I will be able to say, I have been a asset to this club/forum as well.
Thanks again,
Al

John Eversoll

Hey Al, What is the name of the company that will rebuild that fridge???? The only one that I have found that will come close to that price will charge me $800.....
So If it could be replace or fixed for that amount I would probably go to them..
John

Al Maden

Sorry to be so long in replying, been out on the road, I drive a semi and haven't had internet access.
I received some bad info on that company, they do sell used but will not ship them. And the cost is closer to 800.00 than I want to spend, so I am thinking about a small electric fridge as we have a generator. The company does do cooler unit repair or sell them if you are interested in changing out the unit, but prices are not that much better, in my opinion. They are in Everett Wa and called rvmobile they do have a website you can check out.
Al

John Eversoll

Well, thanks for the info.  My Brother in law is a long distance driver as well so I know what you are going through.
The wife and I both used to drive,but that was 22 years ago. Funny, that is just how old our daughter is!!!! guess why I quick driving.

Any way, I went to home Depot this afternoon and found a real bitchen fridge!! $217. and it will fit in the spot where the old fridge went.
But I am in the middle of doing a make over on the rig so I have totear out the cabinet and start over from scratch. It will give me more storage space for canned food and I can mount the microwave insted of just letting it bounce around.
Anyway, keep intouch and shinny side up!  Straight Whiskey we gone..
John E.