News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Cab airconditioning

Started by John Eversoll, July 09, 2009, 01:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Eversoll

Hello out there in Clipper land....

Since the weather has been getting on the rather WARM side, I have a question for ya.

When my rig was up and running"  I noticed that the factory air didn't do very much or well

even on max air.   Is this an average problem with the clipper or just mine gone arreye.

John E.

Horst

pretty hard to tell based on what you are telling us:

First - touch one of the outlets with the AC on and the Clipper running - with the temp set to max cooling - if your unit is in GOOD condition - it should feel really cold (compare it to another vehicle maybe??)

If it's not - then several potential culprits - if you're lucky - you just need to get it re-charged with coolant - if you're not lucky - you're looking at lots of dollars..........

One thing to keep in mind - if it's really hot out - and you're traveling in your Clipper - even if your factory AC is working perfectly - it will NOT do a good job of keeping you cool - unless you make one of those "cab separators" that a member here made (think it was Larry Ray) - then the cab AC might work with reasonable efficiency. The only way to roll when it's really hot out is to :
1) Wait until it's cooler - that's what I do :D
2) Use your generator (if you're lucky enough to have one) and run your cabin AC off the generator
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

Well, I put all new parts in the rig, new condencer new pump new hose lines and new frig.
It just did not seen cold as O thought that it would.  My daughters Bronco gets cold enough to hang meat LOL
It could be that the cold air is being pushed back to the coach.. Maybe I will install a door between the cab and see how that works.
Thanks!! John E.

Hank Jourdin

John, I read your post. did you change all the a/c stuff your self? You said new condens or , hoses,and fridge, did you mean compressor? If so are you still on R-12 or did you convert to 134-a? Best thing to did is put a thermometer in the air duct in front of the evaporator turn the air on and see how cold it Putin out. If you changed all the stuff I hope you changed the receiver drier, that's like a filter for the system. When you recharged the system did you evacuate the system to remove all air and make sure it held 26 inches of vacuum without leaking for 45 min to 1 hour before charging. Check the heater control valve to make sure it's not bleeding by. If the valve is bleeding by it will let hot air into the heater causing the a/c air not to be cold when it blows. Pinch off the heater hose going to the control valve .If it gets colder you know the valve is bad. Do you have a/c gages to check pressures.  When you are checking the temp. out of the evaporator run the motor on fast idle with a box fan blowing on the condenser. Low side reading should be about 25 to 30 high side 180-240 for a good compressor .  It should  get down to 40 degrees or so depending on the outside temp and humidity. Hope this was of some help! Hank Jourdin

John Eversoll

Hello Hank, thank you for the info!!!!!!

When I get the motor back and put it back together I will infact test eveything!!!!
and will pay close attention to the degrees that it is to be!!! Thanks Hank!!!!!
John E.