News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

1977 21 foot American Clipper

Started by jt, May 17, 2008, 08:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jt

hello A neighbor has a 1977 21 ft American Clipper that he purchased and parked behind his house. I have always liked the look of it.  It has not been driven for a couple of years by my count. The owner thinks it will start. The tires still have tread they were purchased in 2005 by sales paper; the owner thinks he can air up the tires.  At some point in the past the engine was overhauled.  The roof leaks. The inside looks rough. I am considering buying it from him and I intend to ask a mechanic to look at it next week.  I know that it will be costly to get it on the road.  I will have to pay some one to do mechanic work; but general coach clean up and fix up we can do. Any suggestions? Also We live in Texas;  I would like to hear from TX American Clipper owners.  Thanks in advance for any responce. jt

JerryT

HI JT
When I was younger I saw a man scrap a car that I would have fixed. When I asked him about it he told me, ( It's not the cost of the repair but the service it had already given) The car had done what he wanted/he had got his monies worth. So isn't the reverse true for us? (It's not the cost of the repair but the service we want from it)? To answer your question with a question, what do you want the Motorhome to do for you? Three times a year to the local campground? or Alaska and back with no problems? The American Clipper was a quality unit ahead of it's time and the Dodge van was well engineered, but deferred maintenance can ruin anything. I have been refurbishing/modernizing a one owner 1978 rear kitchen model. It has been fun and I like doing the work but it is NOT cost effective i.e. sell it for what I have in it. BUT now that I am 85% done and have used the coach for three years and have mostly worked out all the bugs, I can tell you that I have found no other rig in it's size that even comes close. Irv Perch hit a home run when he designed it. You almost have to own one for a while to appreciate all the thought and work that went into building it plus the functionality of the design is wonderful.I could have bought a new motorhome (per banker not wife) but there was not one to buy, I have not found a used one I like better. No one makes a new quality fiberglass unit with my floor plan, so I figure even if I have 1/3 the cost of a new rig in mine and mine can do all that a new rig can do (and more) I have 2/3 to spend on fun and fuel. Go forward with your plans but be honest with yourself and you will have an enjoyable experience. Roof leaks are usually roof fans or a/c that need to be resealed, tires sitting flat for a while usually fail early.
JerryT

jt

Thanks for the reply and the good words.  We take our dogs to dog shows usually under 400 miles from home.  It would be great for us and our dogs to go in a motor home.  I have looked at new RVs and newer RVs but I like the look of the American Clipper. jt

jt

Here are a few pictures of the 1977 American Clipper.  I would like to see how Clipper owners improved the interior.  I welcome suggestions on any and all problems. Thanks. jt

rowdiebryan

We are in Texas, the greater Dallas area actually.  I couldnt have said it any better. What a well writen reply.  I choose to buy the old clipper myself, like the looks, its a classic, and once I am done with my modificatinos it will be a one off.  I get more attention when I roll into a camp ground than many of the newer rigs.  I like mine, and I am sure it is going to be great fun for years to come.

Bryan

JerryT

JT
Go to www.phrannie.org/phredex.html  or google "poop sheets by phred" and look around. Fred gives straight up advise and tells it the way it is. When you buy a motorhome you are not just buying a vehicle but a lifestyle and if you buy a used/classic unit than you are going to have to -fix-patch-repair-modify-improve-refurbish-and enjoy every bit of it, on your journey to what ever vision you had when you made the decision. If your tight on money and or time and hate working with tools and receive no thrill from taking things apart that you don't fully understand, then I would pass on this opportunity. If you can afford to pay to have it done then you can afford the payment on a new one.
Motorhome maintence seems to fall into two catagories, #1 repair it as good or better than new #2 patch it so it's no longer annoying/ugly to the owner. Patching is much much cheaper and most people can patch, paint, caulk, wallpaper, clean, ect. Good luck
JerryT

jt

Thanks again for the thoughts.  I enjoy seeing and hearing about what you and others have done with the American Clippers.  The one I asked about is still down at the mechanic shop waiting for some one to have time to take a look at it.  I know some one who might be inspired to take it on. More info later. thanks jt

John Eversoll

Quote from: rowdiebryan on May 22, 2008, 12:09:02 PM
We are in Texas, the greater Dallas area actually.  I couldnt have said it any better. What a well writen reply.  I choose to buy the old clipper myself, like the looks, its a classic, and once I am done with my modificatinos it will be a one off.  I get more attention when I roll into a camp ground than many of the newer rigs.  I like mine, and I am sure it is going to be great fun for years to come.

Bryan
Hello, I have seen the pics of yours and I though to mmyself--- that looks just like mine!!!!
The over head is rotted and the panneling is crap But I have one thing that You Don't have!!!
Abroken rear winndow...  My daughter and I are going to replace the overhead and the pannelingBut when wwe do the panneling we are going to use desert packing insulation.   due to keeping the inside warm during the winter and cool during the summer.
My fridge has long since gone and I will install a larger unit  and increase the cabinet size.
the only thing with the bath room, is the sizejust a little cramped for some people.  I just put a new roof air on and reupholstered the sofa and captin chairs.  I was injured at work two years ago  and can only do so much at a time. Heavy lifting is out of the question.
I know that I will have to replace the head gaskets when I get ready to drive the rig since it has been sitting for 4 yrs.
new mufflers would help as well. 
Good luck with yours and maybe we meet on the road some time/// John

Robert P. Anderson

I WOULDN'T CONDEM THE HEAD GASKETS FOR SETTING FOR 4 YEARS. SETTING AROUND SHOULDN'T HURT THEM. THE VALVE COVER GASKETS MIGHT DRY OUT AND NEED REPLACING OR MAYBE JUST TIGHTENED - DON'T OVERTITEN THEM. GOOD LUCK.

John Eversoll

Hi Rob, I looked at the motor yesterday and I a m just going to rebuild the motor.
Did a compression test and there are three cyls that are below 100psi. 
Went down to the Place I got my Chevelle SS motor rebuilt and he gave me a price
I just can't pass up!  $ 1,300.  everything newfrom the cam to the main bearings and new pistons
I gona show the daughter how to crack heads this weekend.
for another $150 he will do the heads. I know his work he did my Chevelle SS motor a year ago and she is a Screamer.   No leaks so far and I have 560 hp.  I just love the frwy on ramps!!!
Plus I am going to have the trans rebuilt while I have the motor out. I noticed that the front seal and the rear were leaking and she was slipping a bit.   Just make sure everything is going to make the trip to Oregon. 
If you know of anybody in Calif OC area and they need a rebuild I have the name and can recommend this guy!!
HE will Not rip you off.  He has been in business for 35 yrs at the same location.
Take care..... John