News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Hi again

Started by jwreding, May 13, 2005, 05:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwreding

Just wanted to say hi this time as a registered user of the forums.  I posted last year around this time about my '78 Clipper on a Chevrolet chassis.  I am starting the restoration process in about 3 weeks.  The first step is bringing her back home from 5 years of sitting in a field at my cousin's place.  Next step is checking the chassis and frame for cracks and wear and giving it a good coat of Eastwood rust preventative paint.  Then the interior work begins.  All new carpet, fix the roof leak, new tub, revamp of cabinets and closet, and maybe reupholster the seats.  Then comes the hard part.  I am currently sourcing parts for a major drivetrain overhaul.  The wimpy 350 Chevy engine just isn't cutting it and never has since the 400 blew 12 years ago.  I have in mind a 6.5L turbo diesel, heavy-duty rebuild of the th400, and installation of a Gear Vendors or Ranger overdrive unit (need this to keep the diesel RPM's down).  I'm sure this is just a small amount of the things that need done to it.  I know other things are wrong like the fresh water tank leaking and the refrigerator broken but the engine swap is going to be the bulk of the operation.  I'll post some pictures when we tow her home in the next couple of weeks and get started on the teardown.  Good to talk to you all again.

bigray

Welcome back and good luck with the modifications!

I assume you have priced the Gear Vendors. If it were me I'd get the tranny that is attached to the diesel engine you are installing. I assume it will have OD. Seem like a cheaper approach than GV.

jwreding

Well if you can believe it, I still exist and still have the Clipper...and unfortunately it still sits in the backyard.  When I made this post (2005) I was still at IU and busy with other things and didn't get around to working on it.  Then last year I transferred to Ball State and was busy with summer classes and working on other vehicles.  Now this summer, I have a good income, only have one summer class to contend with, and finally have the skill and motivation to get some things done.  I'm still spreading myself thin between working on 2 other trucks at the same time, but I am confident I can get some progress made this summer.

Since my last post, I have firmed up what I will be using for the drivetrain.  Last year I bought a 1995 Chevy G30 van with a 6.5L diesel and 4l80e overdrive transmission.  Plans are to basically swap the entire drivetrain including rear axle (for proper gearing) from the van to the Clipper.  Since they are the same chassis, I don't think it will be extremely difficult, plus I have experience doing a diesel swap because I am just finishing up converting my '87 Blazer to diesel.

Yesterday I took some overview pictures of the Clipper and cleaned out a ridiculous amount of mouse poop and also 2 bird's nests!  One was under the dining area cushion, where the outside electrical cord is stored.  The bird had been flying into the hole for the cord and built an enormous nest under there.  The second one was in the auxiliary battery compartment.  The door is missing so it was a good place for a bird I guess.

Plan on getting my membership ASAP (although I sure wish there was an online registration process, mailing in forms is a pain), hopefully the newsletters and access to the tech forum will help answer the bulk of my questions because I have a lot of work to do!

In the meantime, enjoy some preliminary pictures of the project.  I inserted a couple in this post and then have a link to my website with some more pics here:  http://jwreding.com/clipper

Thanks!

Yes that is mouse turdage!

Severe water damage  :(

Needs a little sprucing up

bigray

Looks like you have alot of work ahead of ya. I'm actually try to sell my Clipper. I wish you the very best though. Keep us posted on the progress