News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Stock alternator upgrade and wiring suggestion

Started by JerryT, February 09, 2007, 12:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryT

When it's time to replace/upgrade your alternator (on a Dodge) order one for a 1986 Dodge Diplomat V8 with air. This was the last upgrade Chrysler made for our style alternator, and they increased the output up to 78 amps, up from the 65 amps our rigs came with. You can tell if it's the newer one by looking at the case halves, if they almost touch (1/8") then it's the newer style, if the case halves are 1/2" apart then it's the older one. According to the Auto Zone web site, the 86 Diplomat had 3 choices, 100 amp (not our style) 65 and 78 (our style) Be sure to specify 78 amp or you may get  the new style 65 amp. Auto Zone part #DL 7533 $49.49 (premium with new pulley and life time warranty) or  #7533 $34.49 (non premium) When I did mine, I repowered the battery isolator direct from the output stud on the back of the alternator, with a 10 guage wire, and then removed the 10 guage wire that use to go over to the start battery. The gauge still shows if the alternator is working or not. I did this because I wanted to reduce the load on the dodge van wiring. By design, all the current produced from the alternator flows thru the ammeter that's in the dash, which shows charge or discharge, then out to charge (or discharge) the battery/batteries. I wanted more charging power with out the risk of over taxing the stock, aging wiring, which I felt was over taxed when it left the Clipper factory (many lights). This style dash ammeter has been a source of fire due to loose connections (mainly) and internal shorting on Chrysler products over the years. The guage has two threaded studs out the back to which the input wire (unfused) from the alternator, and the output wire that goes on to charge the battery are connected via two nuts. They can get loose but I have never had a problem on a stock/never monkey-ed with vehicle, but there is an after market kit that address this issue, it's marketed to the high dollar collector car crowd.
Treat your Clipper well, it's an awesome machine!
Jerry T 

John Eversoll

Jerry, THANKS SOOO VERY MUCH!!!!!

I will get right on it.  I just didn't want a fire. 

I watched my 34 dodge burn to the ground due to an

electrical fire..  Don't want that again.. tnks -- john

prophetdaniel2

Do you think this could help my dim @ idling headlights and blinkers that don't blink (again at idle)?

John Eversoll

For that I would look into your regulator or even a bad ground.  But then again,

Anything will help!!!!! Can't hurt!!!!