News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Clipless...

Started by dig, September 28, 2005, 12:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dig

:(

Sad news, but I am no longer a Clipper owner. I knew the day would come, but I didn't expect it to be so soon.

A couple of weeks ago, I lent my Clipper to some friends. They overheated on the way to where they were going, but then it ran fine. On the way home, they heard a "knock-knock-knock". Found out it was a broken rod :(  Found out later that after they overheated - they were stuck in traffic and had the A/C runnin  :roll: - they didn't check the oil or water after they initially added some.

My Clipper was broken down in Sacramento, and the cost of getting it here to San Jose, along with replacing the engine, I decided to hand it over to the universe. I found a guy in Sac that wanted it, and I signed it over to him.

I will miss her. She was my first RV, and I put a LOT of work into her. Took her on 9 outtings during the year that I owned her.

Still plan on being a member of the Club for a while tho. I have bought a newer RV, and have had the new one out a few times already. The new one is a 1986 27' Southwind Class A. I do like the room of the Class A, but parking has been a new experience ;)  

--dig

Rodney

Sorry to hear about your loss :cry: and hope you do stay around.
did you tell the new owner about the club and the website?
Rodney

bigray

Sorry about your loss, Dig.

susan-y

Sorry for your loss dig... but hey you are moving on.  A class "A" will help the wounds heal :wink:

One of the hardest things for me to remember is that vehicles of this era require a little more attention under the hood.  (Ref your friends sitting in traffic with a/c on and not keeping up on the fluids)  I still have to remind myself to let her warm up.  It is embarrassing to get out on the street (cold) and not be able to climb the small hill between me and the highway!

dig

Quote from: "susan-y"Sorry for your loss dig... but hey you are moving on.  A class "A" will help the wounds heal :wink:

One of the hardest things for me to remember is that vehicles of this era require a little more attention under the hood.  (Ref your friends sitting in traffic with a/c on and not keeping up on the fluids)  I still have to remind myself to let her warm up.  It is embarrassing to get out on the street (cold) and not be able to climb the small hill between me and the highway!

So true. I guess I was "lucky" for having several cars when I was younger that required a lot of attention. Don't know if I appreciated it back then, but sure do now :)  Many of my friends are computer geeks, and couldn't tell you the difference between a carburetor and a muffler bearing  8)

I passed on a bunch of information to the new caretaker. Hopefully she will be back on the road soon.

--dig

milliraye

:(  How sad! IM too nervous to let anyone drive Ole' Billy Bob even if IM there. Guess it's true, no one can take as good a care, as the one who cares the most!
Glad to hear you are back out on the road tho 8) !

Andy Illes

Oh geeze Dig..... whatta bummer.... so sorry!!   When I was having my overheating problems onna way back down from NY, I was worried I'd overheat Fred and get that sortta problem.... but at least I was aware of it and kept him cool enough to luck out.

Idea ---- you could put American Clipper decals on your new one, so you still feel part of this outfit.... heeeeeeeeeee

Yeah, the parking thing is a biggie for me with Fred.  You're gonna miss that.  Another related one is I take Jaws along wherever I go, and if I take Fred, I can not only park anywhere, bit she can stay comfy, hot or cold, if I have to leave her a while.

At any rate, I sure hope you enjoy your new rig, and he/she gives you and your family many happy, troublefree miles of touring.

dig

Update: I got rid of the Southwind.  :? Had it for a few months and got tired of working on things all the time. Seemed that it was just too much of a project. All of my trips in it required a big tool box and plenty of spare parts. I only took about 5 trips, but there was something each time. Guess I am getting cranky and old. When I escape from home I want to relax a bit, not take on more than when I am at home  :cry:

I traded the Southwind in on a 2002 Bounder 33R. Everything works!!! My first trip was to Las Vegas and it was a pure pleasure driving it. It only had 4200 miles on it when I bought it, so it felt new. Lots of storage, two slides, Ford V10, all of the goodies. I think I may keep this one for a while  :wink:

Here are some pictures -

--dig

Andy Illes

Sorry about your experience with the Southwind, Dig.  Bounder looks GREAT!!!   It's not a Clipper.... but hey... it'll do in a pinch... :):)

Enjoy, buddy.... glad you're staying with the Website!!